FR folding prop

How do you mount this prop on a M8 motor shaft ?

1 Like

From my understanding it has a latching effect on the prop shaft pin. I haven’t actually see the exact mechanism yet though.

1 Like

The outer latches grip on the pin of the propshaft and are spring loaded? How is the release done?

Yeah it seems like the outer latch is just the metal clip that bends slightly and latches to the pin. To remove i used a screwdriver to lever it out. I couldn’t pull it off by hand, but didn’t try too hard…

Does the Lift version require the new quick-connect kit from Lift? Or can you attach it to any Lift efoil without extra accessories?

Any plans to make a folding prop for a 6384 motor (similar to what is on the Foil Drive Assist Plus)?

No, you dont need extra parts.

this is beautiful ! congrats man !

Has anyone has made any adaptations to allow these to fit a 6384 motor with the 4 M4 screws? If so, please could you share the details? Thanks.

Can I offer some constructive criticism to Flying_Rodeo ?
I really appreciate your flexibility to help the e-foil builders Community with your skills, talent and capability. I am also glad that you offer the discount for the Community.
I think the folding propeller is a Great Concept. I experienced disadvantage myself that with larger fixed props and trolling motor that when the prop stops (there is no clutch or “idle”), the larger fixed prop acts like a speed brake. Board stops - I continue to flying forward. Call it “face planting” in the water.
So the concept of foldable prop is great for so many aspects, even for catching the wave with electric assistance then saving on batteries and just riding the wave.
HOWEVER, the current implementation where the prop clips to the pin and IS NOT secured with a nut is just insane IMHO.
When I used external ESC (bypassing) Caroute N300 ESC and using its Motor and variety of modified props, I could easily sheer (break) the pin, just by slamming the throttle to the max.
That is exactly the point of that round shaft and sheer pin design that if you hit something or if the torque is too much for the motor the pin suppose to sheer (break) to protect the motor (and the shaft). Prop still stays on the shaft (spinning idle).
In your “clever marketing design” the user loses the prop so will have to buy another one. Quickly “disposable” props ?
Please note there is also a difference in load when you have a skinny kid around 50kg (110LB) and full size adult like myself with weight between 90-100kg (200-220LB).
Also many lakes later in the season have milfoil and/or other weeds and most trolling motor ESCs (sold on the market) have built in protection when the load is detected (shut down or reduced power automatically). This is not the case for most DIY E-Foils. So the risk of sheering /breaking the pin is much greater.
I would definitely be interested in your foldable prop when design is changed so there is still securing nut at the end of prop shaft.
PS: After putting my project for couple of years on hold I am planning to go back and restart it:

1 Like

Using the firum search function on Caroute leads us to day 5 of this forum and to American members trying to implement the trolling motor as a efoil motor.

V1 of the FR folding propeller had a nut…

Thanks SoEFoil, Yes the concept of using trolling motor for e-foil convert goes back to 2017 with Caroute N300 evaluation. I started my project in Summer of 2019 and by Spring 2020 put it on hold.
Issues with theoretical (or advertised) specs vs actual performance, incompatibility of remotes PPM vs PWM, no proper waterproof PWM remote, etc, etc. And there was enough wind to enjoy windfoiling for last 3 years in Seattle pretty much every week until now “cabin fever” and no sustainable wind above 5mph.
So the trolling motor concept to be successful must be based on max foil size (max lift) at slowest possible speed. In order to be inexpensive, the board and foil has to carry more weight (heavier motor & heavier batteries). I am heavy as well (now 90+kg /200+LB) anyway.

It is a Win-Win situation when everyone is happy and the Design is well thought through. I don’t want anybody to lose their propellers because pin sheered “as designed” (due to load) and there was nothing holding the prop to the shaft anymore.

Don’t agree with you here, a shear pin design which breaks due to throttling is too weak. The design of the shear pin is firstly to protect the shaft and gears if you hit something with your propeller, not really to break from motor torque.

After breaking the shear pin with a strike you’re left with a propeller that is unlikely to run ok again, at least for the thicknesses of propellers we see on efoils. If you want to limp home with the damaged propeller you won’t have tools with you to temporarily fix it either - so i don’t think losing the propeller is making a difference.

Unfortunately i’ve hit the bottom a few times and my propellers all drew their last breath so i have some efoil experience on this subject :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I too have vast experience with hitting things I’ve hit the bottom, fish, logs, cray pot lines, sand banks, kelp and some of those at pretty decent speeds. I’m over 105kg - never snapped a pin or lost a prop this Includes the new folding props. admittedly I was dubious at first about having no nut to lock it in place but she suck on there real good lol

1 Like

@Sourcecode: What do you see as the main benefit of the quick release prop? I don’t get it (but i don’t regularly feel the need for replacing my prop)

To me it seems like a feature i would appreciate if i switch props often, like once a week, if it’s once every two months then a 5 minute job to get a 13mm spanner and replace prop seems OK and you get less complicated and less likely to fail parts.

Larsb & Sourcecode,
I am glad that you addressed my concern from “practical” & “regular e-foil motor / prop” application.
If it works for many days and no issue with loosing propellers due to sheering the pin then great.
I just realized that my “practical” experience is totally different and here is why:

1. I have been experimenting with high torque trolling motors with lower RPMs.
  2. I have been using much heavier and larger diameter propellers
    For example Poer 1500W motor 2500 RPM, Caroute N300 2100W motor 1500 RPM.
    The Torqeedo Props I have been experimenting are designed for 2000W & 4000W Cruise 2.0 & 4.0 Motors that work with 1300 RPM.
    Please note these are ~12" (300mm-320mm) diameter propellers and not your “regular” puny 6-7" or less diameter propellers (lightweight and for much higher RPM).
    I guess in your application the RPMs are between: 7k and 100k RPM
    Please note that the load is also different. According to Torqeedo specs for one of these props: “For planing with light boats [approx. 200 kg, 24 km/h (approx.440 lbs, 15 mph)]”

Does anyone want to sell this prop?
I wanted to order it, but I got a message that FR stopped selling these props.
Please send me a message if you want to sell it.
Thanks

The FOLDI has moved from the FR catalogue to the … Fliteboard one :wink:
The price has “only” been multiplied by a …2 factor: 495usd or 560€ incl VAT
Not sure the Flite “Foldi” prop could fit a 65161 motor though (M8x25 thread)
The TrueGlide is more affordable in the 250€/usd range.

Yes I have seen it,
The fliteboard motor axle is thinner than the 65161 axle.
Now I run the plastic flite prop and I had to drill the hole.
I have made a small tool to do this on the lathe, but the folding prop is harder to drill out I think.
And after drilling the anodisation is gone in the hole, so the aluminum is going to corrode.