Fri-Foil Prototype 1

Isn’t this what David at @Flying_Rodeo has been working on building? A seated foiling craft?

:call_me_hand:

Kotaro Horiuchi project was 1988.

Yamaha engineers resurrect 32-year-old jetfighter-style hydrofoil

Seems he has plenty going on

3 Likes

I knew it wasn’t recent but didn’t bother determining the exact date. :wink:

@Jezza, in this article, you also have the explanation why double T-foil (or line) setups would work but however would not be a commercial success unless you limit the max speed to 15kmph. AI has obviously a role to play.

there’s no video so we can all watch as the Yamaha team struggles to balance this thing and stop it from toppling in the turns. Without a wide track, or the ability to use your bodyweight to balance, driving the OU-32 might be a bit like the first time you try to take your training wheels off a bike. And that’s the kind of kinetic problem the tends to get the mind ticking over.

x x x

While the OU-32 never made it to production in the 1980s and isn’t likely to in the 2020s either, it could inspire future vehicles – at least, that’s what the Yamaha team will be telling management.

Forgot to mention, the TU team evolved into a consultancy company:

@FriFoil should be interested.
@JTAG Would you describe your control system ?
1- in short radius turns (less than 5 m), what is the max speed allowed with two / three / four T foils, repectively line / triangle / square setups?
2 - Is Artificial Intelligence involved or a classic height sensor / IMU and PID thing ?
3 - is it applicable to efoil with 2 T’s or with a fuselage ?

@FriFoil 1 and 2 for you if you don’t mind.

On a side note, I noticed this interesting connection :

The OU-32 had minute foils. Here is a pic:

They are way too tiny and are obviously going to be unstable. There’s on obvious reason Yamaha ran into issues. I’m not even sure where you got the 15kph speed from…

I am proposing an HA foil wing which is much wider. The TU team has already proved this works well.

You connected the names? If you did some research you’d see they are different people running different organisations which are 68.8km away from one another…

Hi Toto,

This configuration allows our boat to be autostable :slight_smile: so we don’t need electronic control.
Yes we use 4.5kW at 30km/h !

Fri-Foil

Self-stabilisation is done thanks to the foil configuration, no electronic control !
Thank you for your proposition of @Flying_Rodeo we will check it out :smiley:

For reverse we had to implement electronic relays (see image)

Hey everybody,

We chose this foil configuration because we already had a prototype that worked very well. We built it at HEIA-FR for the HydroContest event. At the end of the contest I tried getting on it (it was remote controlled) and it foiled pretty good. At this contest EPFL had a two T foil config and we beat them in final. They had a lot of stability problems when turning. So we prefered using our foil config for our 2 prototype.

I am not an expert in foil configurations and your questions are very interesting @SoEFoil. We are going to test our prototype 2 very soon and will be able to answer your questions than.

We are trying to build a seated foiler that doesn’t require any particular skills (equilibrum and piloting) and we believe are configuration is best adapted for this purpose. Check out our website www.fri-foil.ch and our instagram @frifoil if you want more information on our project :smiley:

2 Likes

Which planetary gearbox did you use? I have a 190KV motor as well.

At slow speed, everything is possible. But turns at a higher speed with too long high aspect foil usually means breaching the water surface that could mean boat stall, which is the plague of passenger hydrofoil boats. This explains the small size of the OU-32: not to breach the water surface.

Little did I know that someone would bounce back from that with something other than a touch of humor. I am speechless by so much negativity.

1 Like

Foil stall will happen with any foil if the turn is too tight (nothing to do with high aspect). If you are worried about breaching the tips, some of the surf guys are breaching up to 1/3 of their HA wings when they turn hard without stalling. So its not really much of an issue with a good wing design.
If you watch the video of the prototype in this thread , the “boat” has to turn flat. This means there wouldn’t even be a breach for an HA wing anyway…

We can debate this till the cows come home, but my guess is that Fri-Foil will use their design regardless as they have set out on that mission anyway.

Hi! I appreciate your efforts about this motor. I am also trying to understand what is the max load we can give to this motor. Your data says 4kW for 100kv motor with 10s. This would give around 100amp motor current. I was already running this motor around 120amps with 12s resulting in >5kw power, but only for very short duration. Is your testing for longer or only short to reach peak? I am asking since I would like to stop prop pitch increase before actually burning the motor :slight_smile:

Here is my log

This foil is from the Flying Rodeo Canada project assembled in Vancouver Canada by me.
I am now making the boards in Canada under The Aerial 51 Ltd. banner still using Flying Rodeo motors and propellers and custom electronics from Sobek drives.

You can check out on Instagram aerial51ltd. I am doing limited runs of custom builds with some really nice carbon fibre with coloured reflections.

1 Like

Hey, no we held 4kW for about 10 sec and didn’t burn the motor. We burnt the motors while real testing in water. Since we don’t use 12s I can’t be sure of anything on the motor, and I don’t know how many amps we actually used to burn the motors… sorry :confused:

1 Like

Such a pitty, that would have been really interesting data. Seems like I have to find the limits by my own :woman_shrugging:

Hi.

I’ve pulled over 200 amps on my 120kv motor on 14s.

1 Like

Which duration? For start? Maybe another magic trick of corX to prevent burn?

Cheerio

Hi.

I’ll try to log some data. My estimate is based on the max AMP limits I set and the loss of power noticed when towing. I attribute my high amp capability to my 14s battery which I built to handle 200 amp continuous, and all 6awg wiring. So, minimal voltage drop.