Going full circle and actally finaly bying a commercial efoil

Fliteboard has finally been carried home from Sardinia. I never tested it before purchase and man was there alot to restore before it could be taken out on the water. Also very hard to understand “basic condition” from flite.

There is not a screw that I have not removed so if anybody is interested in the details feel free to ask.
Rode it today and it’s the first sinker that i’ve ridden. I’m 100kg and its 67liter. I can live with that even if it means more cold water time than needed. The remote however with it’s strange modulation and 2s delay is mostly for beginners though and very unusual for a maytech person.
The packaging and charger/Battery quality here is really second to none, but ride-wise a DYI with same wings gives the same ride.
Also It’s my first board narrow enought to fit my surfcart, finally yeah.

2 Likes

When tearing down I found that Flite uses two normal lip seals but have a cavity in between that is filled with ca 20ml of Silicone oil. It’s rather smart as well. But the 65161 with mech shaft seals work as well, even if its a 3€ pump seal originally…

1 Like

i like the idea of how the Flite uses oli between two seals. That is in principal same idea how will seal the shaft on my e surfer. Two seals in both ends of a tube filled with oil, shaft going through. Think this would work also on a 65161 motor: Adding an aluminum or 3dprinted short “extension” of the 65161 filled with oil and having 2 lipseals in both ends of the extension, no bearings required. Filling the extension/ cavity to 80 % leaving some space for possible heat expansion should work. The original seals of the 65161 would not be required, obviously the extension would need to be watertight against the motor.

Wondering who’s the maker of this esc and how much is it rated for ? Like max amps ? Obviously any make model would do the trick as well.

I always thought it was from APD, curious to see if that’s the case.

Also, how much did you pay for if I may ask ?

Thanks

Paid 7.5k€. So in the cheap range, bit it had never been serviced.
Flite is rated for 100A max also the battery apparently as they use low amps/high current cells.
There is no text on the esc, but i’m thinking custom kontroniks perhaps

interesting, I just took a Lift ESC appart there is a 150A fuse in there

Do you have any picture of the esc or know the make ? Always thought Lift was using MGM esc’s

100A battery current might be correct but I doubt the ESC would be only 100A as well. I would say at least 160A.

Also I have good reason to believe they are working with APD as they are an Australian company too and Flite is mainly sourcing their parts in AU/CN/EU close to his location to keep the cost down.

7.5k€ was still a good price actually. Nice !

I only know how they declare it in the data-sheets. El-power 5kw max. Mech power on shaft 3,7kw.
I am quite impressed with the torque from the system with the 1:4 gearbox compared to the 65151, but I have not taken the board >30kmh yet, so I have no clue how well it works out when 5kw is actually needed.
With the 65151 I need 5kw at about 44kmh.

You seem right about APD, never heard about that company before.
Dimensions are similar to this one but with sealed housing.

Nice looking ESC!..

Would be interesting to see how the APD F3 200 would work on an efoil.

Nice, those are premium esc’s. Wonder if they are using the 240 amp version. I would guess they do.

FYI APD is just like MGM, they make bunch of ESC for premium applications, their products are of really good quality

It’s quite a step to go commercial. Interested to hear if you (or someone else that has gone the same route) could describe how the boards compare to the diy variety😀

Hi Lars,

Fliteboards are super high quality and feature unprecedented support and 2Y no questions asked warranty. I am a fanboy of the design filosophies and David Tawern who built the company. With that said it can do nothing that a DIY board cannot, actually it’s the opposite as flite needs to cater to safety and beginners etc.
I’ve used it now for 2months and have had to relearn launching and working the remote. On my 5:th run I did not even have the energy left to stand up on the board after 20mins of waterwrestling. The next day I brought out my very first prototype and man was it easy to ride and confidence instilling.

I will probably not ride it again until I can hack the remote and go full analogue modulation on the trigger having used and enjoyd maytechs for the past 2 years my brainh simply can not cope with on/off trigger with 2s delay and 20 virtual gears

3 Likes

That’s something! I wondered, since my 3wk’s part time super simple build operates so smoothly, how much better can it get for a commercial board?

I guess not so much better from reading your experience😀