HA foils questions and experiences

Do you think so? How much similar?

I said that I want optimize my system, some small changes can be a big difference :thinking:

If you want to optimize then make a new power unit as a flite replica, so you integrate the motor and the fusalage. You gain some percent in efficiency from having less frontal area and less un-needed mast length in water. 75cm mast with flite = 85cm mast with separate motor a’la Lift.
But sure the Flite Flyer is definately worth the money as upograde over Gong, since it is an old gen wing and quite standard since 3Y on fliteboards, should be many fliteboarders who would part for a used one at 250€. The Race one you likely have to buy new at 620€…

2 Likes

I am speaking about small changes :joy:
I think, this winter I will not have enough time to made some big changes.

One inspiration for a small but still significant change for 2022: Just have some commercial wing available, which is very well rated here (e.g. Flite Flyer, as mentioned above
cim96dm7). This wing is then modelled in 3D CAD. Then a hydrodynamics expert is able to modify the modelled wing to have higher desired parameters (higher efficiency, faster rotation, lower weight, etc). The wing is then easily manufactured using some proven technology. This will create a completely new type of wing, without infringing the copyright of the original product, but possibly the best for the next summer season.

1 Like

A talented hydrodynamic expert should be able to design wing from scratch without having to 3d scan wings on the market… just saying.

6 Likes

It would be interesting to know what airfoil section.s is/are used, locate washouts (twists), model it using a parametric wing design software/app like Winghopper (thanks @ZachMoves ), export to XFLR5, …analyse/think/predict, … start again, …
'WingHopper.com - Free Wing Design Web App!

2 Likes

Hi! I’m building my first board, can someone help me pick one of these foils? Are they all right? I weigh about 70kg/155lbs.

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/gong-kitefoil-allvator-freewave-alu-carbon/?attribute_pa_taille=l-en

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/pack-kite-foil-rise-evolution/

I’m not convinced kite foils are the best match for e-foils. Unless your goal is to ride at 30kts, it’s probably better to look at surf or sup foils in the 1200-1500cm² range to have some more lift and lower stall speed. That’ll reduce your power consumption quite a bit, and will be easier. So, definitely the 2nd one over the first one. But still a bit on the low side, hence why it’s marketed for kiting, and possibly a bit too low aspect for efficient glide. But as a light rider, that can work well enough.

1 Like

I’ve looked at the new gong HA wings, they’re really decently priced and now true HA. What i am worried about is breaching, seems it would take either a longer mast (90+cm?) or slow turning to avoid getting these wide wings to breach ( and me to crash😀)

What are your experiences when it comes to this and the foils you tried?

The widest i’ve used on efoil is Axis 900, but back then I did not carve so hard. I’ve never breached with my HA Flite that is 780mm on a 75cm mast.
You’ve read my mind abit as I will also try the HA Gong Allvator small in sep, which is still like 850mm wide. In order to do that and also to challenge higher chopping waves, I just finished my no-breach mast wich is actually 103cm to centerline. It

was a true hell to drill out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you really have to drill it out? Is it the carbon fiber mast? Good to know if that’s the case.

I’m just in the process of routing cables in a RL boards mast, material is about twice as thick as the Gong ( which can fit 7/8 AWG) and therefore i cannot fit more than 10AWG in it.

What’s your weight again? A size small Gong HA wing seems small to me…

I do it……

So, the motor cables from my FR motor fits inside.

Its the 100cm Carbon. Was supposed to be 17mm wide in bottom, but was 13mm only. Probably did like Robert and used M6 threaded rods where i cut drill grooves.
Will try the new mast later today.

1 Like

I can see how much fun that was… Good effort!

Tried the carbon gong 100cm now in a lake with 10cm waves. Rode higher than usual but quite unstable in turning. The torsional stiffness i really miles away from alu masts.
Hopefully the 85cm is a bit stiffer.
Still rode higher than ever before, so ir was a new experience. Used veloce M and surf 40 stab, which is a very carvy setup

My new Gong V2 mast ist the 85cm Version

Can’t understand why carbon masts would be flexier than alu but read several people reporting this. Either too low carbon content or too small profile. Which is it? Are they too optimised in some way?

Well in order to keep weight same as alu most fiber direction is used for lateral stability. 45* plys increase torsional stiffness. Carbon is more lively, and some prefer that especially in kiting. But i found it strange that there was delay in all turning.
We also have to remember that the gong mast is a budget mast with really small cross section in the bottom. Apparenly Axis has a new mast now that is close to Alu

Yeah, this is true, i guess the Gongs are made for skinny french guys. No big profile needed so to say😉 also somewhere the low price will show.

I am really looking forward to the first run with the RL foil and mast. Especially the fuse/mast/plate designs looks like a step up from the gong.

Well this is a sandwich construction. if you drill out the whole foam core, it is not sandwich any more, and will get less stiff in all directions.

1 Like