How Small Can You Go Board Challenge

Is this only about length or also volume?

That is the key question. We still talking about boards, right?

I think wakeskate from @leachim wins in both categories…

1 Like

front wing is 1300 square cm

I have one nightmare version, 80x43x11cm, volume 30 Liters.
box from inflatable board, I didn’t try ride without inflatable board, I had no idea to do it. I think that any board shorter than 100 cm is not comfortable, 120cm is good size for me.

1 Like

I agree. 120cm is a sweatspot of comfort, space, driveable, and compact for Transport.
Building smaller makes no sense. Only Idiots would do.
BUT: its freaking fun and challenging :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nice to hear, i’ve got a 120cm board in the making and a sligthly shorter one. Initially i had two plugs of the same size but one got screwed up at the tail since i didn’t get the epoxy correctly mixed in the last cup - the last 10cm or so has to be cut off…

I tried my 110cm board and wow, does it get awkward to get up!

It’s paired with a 75cm mast and the torque trying to flip the board over gets quite large - I need to be lying over and in front of the board edge to hold it down.

I’m sure it will get easier once i have some hours on it but for me this length is too short, can’t see that the (minimal) swing weight reduction is worth it. Looks cool but it’s probably a better idea to use a shorter stab if an agile ride is wanted.

88cm
15 Liter volume board

Riding time over 30min @20kmph, 10km+ range, Vmax 40kmph.

Real eFoil, no strapon, assist or anything else solution.

Anyone else wanna claim the title? :hugs:

8 Likes

That is just ridiculous! This is the best picture of an efoil with rider I have ever seen. Congrats Volker!!

4 Likes

Next you need to use a skim board… 0 litres…

1 Like

Well done Volker. You certainly have set the record there!

Sorry to hijack your post.

Is anyone willing to share their oversize project?

Staying within the

• single passenger
  • weight shift
  • Single mast/foil setup
  • no flight computers onboard :laughing:

I’m thinking a future project may involve a small RIB

Congratulations for this. 88cm is definitely the record.
With the electronics inside the board, there’s a minimum volume, a glass floor below which it is difficult to go. Recent developments in Foildrive Gen 2 open up new possibilities with slim pump boards. Their advantage is their tight rocker profile: here on a Sroka 14L board, tested last January (2024).

Rider: Hadrien “Hadou” Brunner, foil ecosystem multi brand tester incl. FoilDrive. His 60kg helped a lot :wink:

Dimensions of the mini 3.3’ from the Site :
3’3 x 18″ x 1.6″ = 98,6 x 45,72cm x 4,064cm
Weight : 2,4 KG
Volume : 14 L

This pump board is made of PVC+Carbon to get the very high stiffness required by the pumping action. For our use where there isn’t such an imperative, it should be possible to go below 14L and/or 88cm.

Now, a second challenge could be called: “Drive assist - How Small Can You Go Board Challenge”

Question: do we need to spend between 400 and 800usd to have a pumping board ?Answer: there are plenty of tutorials to make cheap yet stiff pumping boards on YT

Beware of family jewels during the takeoff :smiling_face_with_tear:

[OffTopic mode: ON]
Really disappointing… Is it possible to write a positive criticism about their gear on G…g forum or Facebook page in 2024 ?
It depends if you want to keep your access / account…
[OffTopic mode: OFF]

Hi hadou, are you thinking of doing some tests with G…g gear?

Hello. No. The brand you mention remains totally closed to “outside opinions”. At the same time, their policy of censoring practitioners who give “unflattering but good-faith” opinions on their facebook group, and more recently the deletion of my account and all my messages on their forum without any explanation, is in no way in phase with the values of sharing, mutual aid and objectivity that I cultivate and which have made the success of my channel and which are helping my community to grow. I’ll soon have the chance to work with almost all brands, big and small. Thank you for your understanding :call_me_hand:ps: I’m an ex-customer of the brand mentioned…

3 Likes