How to install michobby foil assist?

Yea that half pod looks good. My main concerns were verifying that the 6374 80kv (just updated to this from the 150kv) screw holes will fit that motor/mount.

The good breeze universal/adapter also looks good and strong and well priced but I don’t know how to tell if it will fit with my motor. I am hoping michobby keeps coming through with experience and information so we can get this kit on foil and mob with the squad.

I will keep reading threw the forum.

Once i learn it all, i will have to make a video, unboxing to install with links, so that others can see a full tutorial on this particular product.

That michobby kit seems to have a Maytech motor, you can find more specs from Maytechs website:

There is a drawing showing the hole spacing if you scroll down far enough. That KParts mount has a few motor options, including Maytech.

1 Like

Nice! Yea it appears that 6374 refers to 63mm diameter and 74mm length. So that will help me narrow down the search for the right motorpod. Thx!

Reply from michobby and my response:

"Sorry we don’t have recommendations on pods. And we don’t sell pods.

If you don’t have much experience on this, recommend to buy the full set underwater thruster.

Here is the link:

-this is not what i am looking for, the one i am looking for is for a hydrofoil with folding propellers

And for first users, it’s $10 OFF or 10% off.

The screenshot is attached.

Highly recommended to buy the underwater thruster kit with battery. It’s much easier for you. Please let me know if it’s ok. So I can modify your order with the discount.

-it does not look like i have enough information to install the diy kit that i ordered

-can you please cancel the order? -please confirm

-i will buy it again when it has the necessary instructions for full installation with accompanying links for recommended compatible additional parts needed and comprehensive start to finish, step by step tutorials for beginners

-thanks for all your help, your product is so close to being a plug and play foil assist for less than $1k. Once it is that price, even if the motor is not super strong, i think you will be able to reach a massive number of people. If you ever release a kit like that please let me know and I will keep an eye out for it.

-keep in mind for a future product, i can dockstart the foil and pump it for 1 minute which takes about 350W to sustain flight, so if you had a kit, and the battery only lasted 5 minutes and the motor was only around 350W, that would be something i would buy, so that it can extend my pumping time to about 5 minutes similar to a pedal assist bike which uses human power and a motor simultaneously. some kits try to focus on having an overpowered motor to get on foil in flat water and batteries that last 20 minutes, but it could be much cheaper with a smaller motor and smaller battery and reach more buyers because of the cheaper price point.

-can you please cancel the order? -please confirm

-thanks again"

This is what i am looking for but with the smallest motor/battery/esc/case and no travel box to reduce the price. Please pass alone that suggestion if possible. It would be a foil assist pump extender kit.

My foil is pretty fast on flat water by pumping alone and cruises at 11mph, so it could probably even extend the pump with only RC size motorization and we don’t necessarily need it to feel like a jetski by being overpowered.

Thanks for your consideration,

Not sure I’ve seen anything cheaper that is a complete foil assist, maybe you can find a used Foil Drive.
I think that particular foil assist is made by @qzyf and he posted a link with a coupon code about a month ago to buy directly from him (no idea if it’s still valid):
https://foil.zone/t/sell-foil-assist/21033
However the prices on his website are actually higher than the Michobby price

1 Like

Yea i emailed qzyf006@gmail.com,
Efoil Boost Kit Foil Assist Kit SUP Kayak Assist Kit – MICHOBBY.COM
hello, i am looking for a complete kit like this.
however, it could have a smaller motor of 6374 150wpc motor instead, a smaller esc of 100a, a smaller battery of 6s3p 12ah, and no travel case to reduce the overall cost a lot, I will buy a sample and then we can sell a lot of them.”

I sent this message to a few potential suppliers, it is just a matter of time before this product is able to reach a greater market because of a compelling price point of around $1k because all the parts are technically already available. I am just hoping it happens sooner than later

Good luck then.
Not exactly sure why you need a smaller drive kit though. If you’re thinking about pumping with this kit then less weight definitely helps. However pumping lends itself to really small low volume boards. If you want to start in flat water and get on foil with a small board you probably need at least 1.5-2kW, maybe more. A 6S3P pack is probably not enough power and you’ll push it right to its limit.

2 Likes

Good luck then.
Not exactly sure why you need a smaller drive kit though.
-to reduce price point to reach a greater number of people

If you’re thinking about pumping with this kit then less weight definitely helps.
-:+1:

However pumping lends itself to really small low volume boards.
-:100:
If you want to start in flat water and get on foil with a small board you probably need at least 1.5-2kW, maybe more.
-i dont want to start in flat water, i want to dockstart or chip in to a wave/bump. The power needs are about 350w to 450w total to stay on foil and i can generate that myself.
-a complete kit like erayfoils and with 6374, 8s3p 30v 12ah, and no travel box would possibly drop the price from $2k down to around $1,300.

A 6S3P pack is probably not enough power and you’ll push it right to its limit.
-i meant to say 8s3p sorry
-the motor could theoretically be as weak a 350w and battery only last 10 minutes and that would be enough to chip into a bump or dockstart, get into swell and link waves, using continuous pumping.
-for example, pedal assist bikes require pedaling, this kit would require pumping
-thanks for the convo! fingers crossed!

This product is nearly perfect, it just needs a folding propeller and mast mount, possibly a better controller. It is only 350w, 12ah. It appears the motor/prop/esc just needs to optimized for a speed of 10mph

Designing, testing and building a new type of smaller motor foildrive will take 100s of hours and be expensive as you will buy so many parts that end up not working. A 3D printer and cad skill would be essential.

You may only use 2-300W when pumping, but a motor and prop is inefficient in comparison and will need 2-3 times that amount for flight.

If you just want to foil, buy an existing product like the Foildrive or Takeoff and accept their limitations and price. Or a Boogie. You can “dock” start with that anywhere. Use one Boogie to whip up people and return to the dock for the next person.

If you want a project, then start reading - this forum is a goldmine. I’ve read every post and still do.

4 Likes

Designing, testing and building a new type of smaller motor foildrive will take 100s of hours and be expensive as you will buy so many parts that end up not working. A 3D printer and cad skill would be essential.
-the motor and all parts needed are already available it just has to be put into one complete kit

You may only use 2-300W when pumping, but a motor and prop is inefficient in comparison and will need 2-3 times that amount for flight.
-good point but 300x3=900w and even the 6374 has 3000w and it is an inexpensive motor, what i am saying is that the motor/battery/esc/case/travel bag in the complete kit from erayfoils is all fat that needs to be trimmed and it could bring the price down by possibly around $1k

If you just want to foil, buy an existing product like the Foildrive or Takeoff and accept their limitations and price.
-i have been dockstarting for about 8 onths and i can pump for 1:07

Or a Boogie. You can “dock” start with that anywhere. Use one Boogie to whip up people and return to the dock for the next person.
-is there a tow boogie plug and play complete kit for $1k? This would be fun in the mean time. But not to use to return to the dock but to get out into waves like i would use a regular foil assist for, dockstart to pump assist to waves.

If you want a project, then start reading - this forum is a goldmine. I’ve read every post and still do.
-i want someone to gather the available products so that beginners can use a plug and play and inexpensive system and follow a step by step tutorial to minimize the time and money spent on the project.
-some threads are interesting because you can see experts building difficult things, i hope to be the face of a mass market of cheap and lazy people who just want a good value, the beginner building beginner things, and illuminate the challenges that will come up for the average person including installation, finding resources, and price.
-what is possible is inevitable IMO, so some day a supplier will likely meet the public demand by combining lowest power necessary, ease of use, and low total cost. Most people can afford a minimal foil assist but not a overpowered jet ski so to speak.

-another thought, if i am pumping and staying in flight using 300 and the motor only has an output of 1/3 it rating and it is rated at only 300w than it would be producing 100w and therefore reduce my effort by 1/3 than i would only be using 200w. Has you ever been on a elliptical and measured the amount of time you can sustain 300w vs. 200w? It is night and day, and the pumping range could be extended to the life of the battery. Nevertheless, these tiny motors nowadays are strong and inexpensive, we just need to make sure it is not overpowered to keep cost down. The space between, selecting a motor that cant get you on foil in flat water, but can keep you pumping for 10 minutes. What motor and esc would you select for this project?

How much energy from the motor do we need to get on foil? Zero

How much energy from the motor do we need to stay in flight? Zero

How much energy do we need to add 5 miles an hour to his top pumping speed? What motor would you select?

The problem is you are not accounting for the large amount drag when a motor mounted on a pod is below the surface of the water. It is not the same as an ebike assisting you while you are pedaling. 100 watts of output will be less then the drag of the motor and pod in the water.

3 Likes

I did try to account for that in my Theoretical reduction of 300 W down to 100W. But nevertheless the 6374 is only $130, And there is a video of Nick hobby Getting onto foil on flat water. Is so a complete kit based off that motor appears to be perfect.

I just need to make a complete parts list based off a 6374 motor

All the parts have been put in a kit and is for sale now, it’s the Foildrive or the Manta Takeoff.

No sane person is going to make a kit and sell it at cost with all the support headaches that are going to come with it.

Electronics and salt water is a recipe for disaster hence the high margin that companies charge for their systems.

All this stuff is expensive, and without e-bike scale the price will not come down to sub $1000 for a turnkey kit without some clever engineering which will take time and money.

The current commercial offerings are about as low power as you want. The Venn diagram of people wanting to have an assist just for dock starting is infinitesimally small. Almost everyone wants to ride small foils on small boards which the current assists barely cope with.

4 Likes

All the parts have been put in a kit and is for sale now, it’s the Foildrive or the Manta Takeoff.
-those are about $5k
-there is also a full kit on michobby for $2k and aliexpress for $2k
-there is incomplete kits on michobby for 6374 80kv, with folding prop, with waterproof 130a esc, remote, and 8s3p 12.6ah 29.6V for $770 but they have provided zero information regarding what other parts are needed
-on alibaba there is 6374 150kv and 100a esc, with folding prop, remote, for $350 with battery at $125. Total $425 but no support for parts possibly needed

No sane person is going to make a kit and sell it at cost with all the support headaches that are going to come with it.
-i wouldnt want it at cost, they deserve a profit and have already priced some incomplete kits accordingly

Electronics and salt water is a recipe for disaster hence the high margin that companies charge for their systems.
-the incomplete kits i mentioned have already priced in their margins, but they have not provided the instructions on how to use it.

All this stuff is expensive, and without e-bike scale the price will not come down to sub $1000 for a turnkey kit without some clever engineering which will take time and money.
-the scale appears to have already reached the $1k price point but the instructions are missing.

The current commercial offerings are about as low power as you want. The Venn diagram of people wanting to have an assist just for dock starting is infinitesimally small. Almost everyone wants to ride small foils on small boards which the current assists barely cope with.
-exclusively for dockstarts is not necessary, the 6374 motor has shown to be able to get up on the flats on the michobby youtube and it is only $770, if i can get a list of the remaining parts needed and add it up, it will be about $1k to $1.3k and that will be very appealing.