Intermittent VESC connection, no throttle

Hey everyone, I’ve been seeing some weird behavior from my vesc today (at least I think it’s the vesc). This is a flipsky 75200 with a vx3 remote, two 7S battery packs connected in series.

I attempted to take my board out today, set up like normal at lakeside. Confirmed everything was working and had the prop spin before I went out into the water. On the water I had no throttle response. Back on shore I found a bit of water had made it into the battery compartment (this is a Fliteboard build, normally bone dry in there, so I was surprised).
So now I’ve been seeing weird things happening as I try to troubleshoot at home. Initially everything connects like normal. I can spin the prop with remote. Great! Then I lose throttle response completely, but remote still has a connection and I see battery voltage. Then I get a low voltage warning from the vesc and lose battery voltage completely. Sometimes I can connect to the Bluetooth, sometimes it won’t show up. When I try to restart the VESC, sometimes it connects and behaves as described, other times no connection at all of any type. It’s all intermittent and unpredictable.
Battery voltage seems normal when I check it with a multimeter.
I’m guessing my VESC has been shorted somewhere? Maybe it’s wet and needs to dry out? Or maybe some bad soldering by me somewhere? When I opened the vesc box it appears totally dry in there, and that box wasn’t even challenged with much water today. Overall I’m just a bit confused about what went wrong today.
If anyone has thoughts or ideas they are welcome. I guess I will just do what I can to test different things and eliminate what I can.

Here’s a photo of what I’m seeing from the remote. The vesc powers on, but battery voltage is zero, it throws a warning occasionally if I wait long enough. Uart connection seems to work. Bluetooth is working, but I cannot actually connect to it

Did the little receiver get wet? Did you figure out where the water got in? hatch or mastseal? If its hatch you can adjust the tightness of the latch a turn and test.

I think it came through the hatch, there was no water pooled inside around the mast connection. This really bugs me, I don’t know what went wrong. The latches seem to be grabbing and pulling tight, and when I pull it open I can feel the resistance of the whole seal gripping

I don’t think the receiver got wet, it’s attached inside the lid of the vesc box, which appeared totally dry. I will test it once I get a new VESC, or maybe open up my 2Swift board and try plugging into that vesc if it’s accessible enough.

how much water? So far knock on wood mine has been dry too. I just bought a 2nd 5ft8in for my wife carbon classic. Hope its dry :wink:

Really wasn’t much, like 1oz or 30ml when I was mopping it up with a towel. Maybe the water didn’t even cause the problem and is a red herring at the wrong moment

I’m already thinking about getting a second one. I keep hoping the new Flite Air shows up as a board only option. It briefly was earlier this year for $999USD, don’t know if it will actually come back at that price

Well I extracted the receiver from the efoil and opened up my scooter board. It’s running a spintend vesc, I think in UART mode. Pulled out its receiver and tried the flipsky receiver. Remote connects to it, but I’m seeing the same thing. It does see the board’s battery voltage and temperature but there’s no throttle response at all. A bit inconclusive.

I tried the scooter board’s receiver and remote on the eFoil. Powers on and connects, initially shows full voltage then quickly drops to zero. So right now I’m still thinking the vesc is the issue.

Ya that doesn’t sound like much and it didn’t hit the vesc or receiver. Weird problem.

The fliteairs board only are available in Canada here.

1 Like

Interesting, that’s a 3rd party seller offering it. I was just checking Fliteboards shop to buy direct.

Checked a 3rd party seller in the US and they have them too now for $1195USD board only. Not a bad price for a waterproof board!

Ya difficult to compete diy anymore for the board now.