Is this VESC behaviour normal?

Thank you for your answer @SoEFoil . Our stab is symmetrical so there is no right side ?
Yes I am gonna try to contact an experienced rider

@nicolasLGM would you recommend one kind of epoxy for that ? Araldite ?

Hello, guys. I’m new to this and I have the same problem that I’ve been solving for 2 years now, i.e. I can’t solve it easily, I can’t get more power in the water than 30A. Can someone help me with the setup? Thanks in advance. Marin

Which ESC do you use? If it is FLIPSKY you might have one with wrong resistors. I have FSESC60V200A and I hope I have a working one. (I can tell you more in month when trying for first time)

1 Like

I used basic epoxy : Amazon.fr

Not sure it is the best expoy for this purpose

hi guys, giving some news. I used epoxy in the mast plate @nicolasLGM @Larsb and strengthened the connection mast-fuselage (with a new system of screws). Also, i 3d printed shims for the back wing @sat_be . Now i am able to stand up on the board to fly , that’s really nice

A problem I have is :
our battery 12S12P fully charged is 50.2V.
Below about 47.5V, i start to often get errors FAULT_CODE_OVER_TEMP_FET. The VESC doesn’t seem that hot though. In the VESC settings, I have MOSFET Temp Cutoff Start 85°C and Cutoff End 100°C. I wait and then I can make the motor spin again. The more I am discharging the battery, the more often I get this VESC temp error.

Around 45.5V, even if I manually cool the VESC with a hand water pump to make water flow through our cooling tube and then I wait , the VESC is not hot but i still get this error and i cannot make the motor spin.

Do you have an idea what could the problem be / how to solve ?

It sounds logical, you need a certain amout of power to get on the foil. When the battery drains, voltage goes down and you need more
amps to get the needed power to get on the wing. It seems your setup still needs a lot (probably too much) power to get on the wing.
If your vesc stays hot it means your cooling is not sufficiant for the current you draw. Either improve cooling or reduce the current needed to take off. I had a similar VESC (which I burnt on the work bench), I think the thermal desing is not optimal as cooling is through the plastic cases of the FET’s.
Get some logs to isolate the problem. What is your current to take off? Motor current should not be above 150A, even lower with your big wing.

okay i understand thanks @sat_be ! But it means that for example around 45.5V, current is too high (and thus makes vesc hot and triggers the temperature error) even to start the motor (not even to take off), which is a bit strange.
For example : VESC seems cold enough (touching the heat exchanger with my hand)
and i still cannot make the motor spin (being on the board). Here is a screenshot of VESC fault :

The last line “Temperature” is the temperature of the motor ? The motor temp sensor is not connected and usually the temperature displayed (in VESC software under Realtime Data) is negative. The motor is naturally cooled by the water around it, the limits are Cutoff Start 85°C and Cutoff End 100°C. This weird 104.08°C motor temperature should trigger FAULT_CODE_OVER_TEMP_MOTOR but it doesn’t ?

I remember previous logs and motor current was below 150 A. I will get more logs next time i will be at Leman lake.

The motor Temp is not used, unless you have a sensor connected to the vesc, it can be switched off in the vesc config. It looks like the temp in your log above is the FET temp. If the heat sink is cold and FET temp is high, this could be wrong measurement or poor design for the heat flow. This VESC is not ideal for efoil and you have a huge motor. Try to improve heat dissipation. Or get a decent (V)ESC.

okay thanks ! i will see with heat dissipation next time

I got an issue with the vesc 75200 I use it with the 70131 motor and get 5000w Power everything works fine WITHOUT cooling. The same vesc 75200 with 5000 w and 65161 motor the esc got very hot in a few minutes, can’t figure out why. I know that a lot of you are tolerate that the vesc is getting hot without cooling, but why? What are the Parameters for getting hot or getting not too hot.thanks for explaining the settings in vesc for that case. :v:t2:Unfortunately the auto set up does not work correctly, I figure out the settings with trial and error for both motors.

More heating=more current through ESC

Why? Could be some things like motor kV is not the same or matching with motor is poor or load (propeller) is not the same between the two motors

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, on the 70131 100kv I use the fliteboard propeller. On the 65161 120kv the fliteboard was to big. I cutted a mercury for that reason.

Picture shows the cutted one on the 65161. Do you think a have to cut even more? Any other way with the settings?

Lots of people have used a Fliteboard prop on a 120kV motor, so should run fine.

I would look at adding cooling instead of cutting the prop down. Which 75200 do you have, air or water cooled? If air cooled 2 x 60mm 5v pc fans is enough to cool it pretty good. Or even passive cooled using a aluminium plate.

Why do we tolerate it? It’s physics. Even at 99% efficiency of the VESC it will still produce 50W of heat at 5000W. 50W for a few minutes will heat up a little block of aluminium in a couple of minutes. I’m surprised they don’t generate more heat!

Ok but why runs the 70131 100kv without cooling also at 5000w? I use the air cooled Version.

Two things:
The current to produce same torque is proportional to kV, so the 65161 motor requires 20% more current to create same torque. Resistive losses in the ESC are proportional to the square of the current so those 20% squared creates 44% more heat to get rid of - for same torque.

Then the propellers cannot be compared either, actually we don’t know if the needed torque is the same…

With fliteboard propeller I always getting over current and didn’t get the 65161 run. I would love to get the 65161 with fliteboard prop running.

There’s no issue running the flite prop with a 6516x motor and VESC

This problem indicates that the motor matching is not good

What does motor matching mean? How can I adjust that?

Parameter setting in vesc. First, did you turn off phase filters before running detection?