Jatem's Tow Boogie

Offsetting the motor should reduce the torque twist, could be worth a shot on a new build. If the tow point is mounted to the top of the mast, it should still track straight enough.

1 Like

know anyone selling these in southern california?

@Jatem Are you getting any condensation inside the aluminum box for your VESC? Where I live in the SF bay area the water and air temps can get cold (ish) at 50-55 degrees F so am concerned this will result in some condensation and water inside the box. Thoughts? Also, are do have you added any cooling for the aluminum box or are the temps still reasonable?

No issues with condensation moisture yet after 100 sessions, through a mild winter. I’ve only opened the vesc enclosure a couple of times.

The passive cooling is ok, but it does get heat soaked after a hard continuous session. I reduced the throttling temp to about 70 degrees when i originally set it up, and it does reduce the power a bit by the end of a session. You could try some mineral oil in the alu box.

1 Like

I am not familiar with the impact of mineral oil on ESC/electrical components. Will mineral oil damage the ESC? Why is mineral oil ok but water is not :)? How much mineral oil are we talking about (just a light coating on the inside of the box or filling it 1/2 way?)?

Edit: I should have done a search on “Can mineral oil damage electronics?” before asking here - per the interwebs: “No, liquids like mineral oil aren’t conductive.” But still wondering if I should fill the alu box or just coat it and vesc lightly.

Search for CorrosionX on the forum, which is basically the same. The more you put in, the less room for water.

1 Like

That said, it does become quite a mess with either corrosionx or mineral oil filling up your vesc box. It certainly works, but I would lean towards potting or silicone instead of the liquid mess.

Corrosionx has been advised against by trampa for eating silicone, which might include the thermal pads or wiring. I put it in my motor. I have thought about generic mineral oil for the vesc, but it would be a mess. Next build I might try exposing a heatsink through the pelican case, if i can ensure it is very watertight.

1 Like

the best way to cool down is still to put an aluminium enclosure link to the mast … best result

10 Likes

Nice! I designed this too, but did not mill it yet. Which esc does fit in there?

Man, that looks like a tank :wink: What’s the weight of this piece of beauty?

Any reason why not to make this box vertical instead of horizontal? Vertical seems like it would create less drag.

Looks awesome anyway!

It is true, CX did eat away at the silicone pads on a Trampa. It was straight forward enough to make a couple more pads with some platinum silicone. I’m thinking of filling the whole vesc box with silicone on the next round.

looks pretty familiar from its profile :slight_smile:
but much prettier in CNC than in aluminum cast

3 Likes

@vib.dxb and @jeffM , guys are you telepaths or did you start from the same file ?…,:laughing:

1 Like

No i copied the file , remixed it to adapt to my needs . Go it cnc from a French company … did not managed to molt it !!!

It end up very nice on cnc on a full block of aluminium

701 gr without the lead and fits mkv6 60v/100A trampa or 75x80

I CNCed mine myself. And put mineral oil in the box. I’ve thermally throttlel only a couple times, but mostly when I tried towing another foil!

Mine was overkill and could lose a silver weight I’m sure!

I actually wanted to is if I could use the motor pod on a tow buggy as well (with no foil on the bottom). And mount the motor to the front of the board. Any problem with the motor being down so far?

3 Likes

What was the approximate cost of the piece?

was around eur 300 because only one was made … i believe if ordering a few price will drop to eur 150 …

1 Like