Lift motor amps

Hi guys! I just purchased a broken lift board, and changed the battery, controller and remote.
I did al the programming in the vesc software, but I have no idea how many amps can this motor handle, atm is running at 150A, I haven’t test it jet in the water, any suggestions?

You shouldn’t need more than 200a. The motor should be able to handle that easily.

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks you :grin:

1 Like

You are my hero, thanks, so I shoud lower the amp to 100?

Im absolutely not an expert, but… I’m almost certain that motor should be able to do 150a at least. It probably will be less efficient from higher wire temps but that won’t be very important.

1 Like

This is not the lift motor!

no but it is a very similar product. the amps you saw are battery amps not motor amps

It’s not similar at all! I know guys that have pushed up to 300a through their lift motors and not burned them. The lift motor is a very high quality motor.

Raul asked about a lift motor. Not a random approximation.

1 Like

okay. Take it easy and good luck, looking forward to seeing you on the water

We don’t see many LIFT boards redevelopments like this.
How much did it cost you so far ?

LIFT and Flying Rodeo (FR) use the same motor. So you can have a look at projects using FR motors, like @Flightjunkie, … using VESC’s
First time we see here this new Spintend UBOX 85V 250A different from Flipsky’s alu series. Its 140x91 mm footprint and 84x118mm hole pattern make it a potential future benchmark to fit in an alu box above a mast plate

Curious to know how it will behave.
Is this the original LIFT alu heatsink in the black electric box ?

A UBOX 85V 250A for 250usd on Ali https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805818948535.html, they sell a foot pad sensor with it for esk8. How could it be used on an efoil deck for safety purpose ? As-is, looks a bit fragile for our use over time (salt water, cabling, … ) ?

Lift motors do have quite a bit of power. I was shocked when I saw a Lift instructor do this last year. How many watts do you reckon @Jezza?

1 Like

The lift motor can handle quite some amps!
@Manufoil has shown here with almost 300A motor current:

I’m running my lift motors with 250A MGM ESC which has short bursts of 360A. My friend (2,05m & 140kg) was able to burn the motor after 30 mins attempting to start.
Most important for motor cooling though is that it’s filled with mineral oil!

@Raul to start your lift board you’ll probably not need more then 150A if your not a big guy like my friend.

1 Like

First test went super well. The motor is quite powerful and run pretty silent, at 12s I got about 35km/h and around 2,5kw drow, I can’t wait to test the 14s17p molicel p28 i’m working on
The i place the vesc in the original housing, used the same connectors, and water cooling, the battery was a challenge to take a part without braking, the head gun helps a lot, the issue with the original battery was related to the cell brand chosed by lift, the Samsung 30q is a very bad cell to make packs, due to the change in the internal cell resistance witch happen overtime.
The spinted esc perform very well, is my do to in almost every electric project, I can’t raccomand them enough.
I will probably increase the motor amps to 200A to get a bit more fun out of this board :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why soooo big? I won’t ride my Lift board with the standard batteries as they are just way too heavy. I’ll rather ride small light packs and then swap them out. So 14S4P to 14S8P in size.

Did you use a heat gun to pull the old burned ESC off the heatsink?

This is interesting, but it would be an issue when you lying on and starting to stand. It’s pretty easy to make it a bit tougher but its the complexity around the use case that would prohibit it.

I agree, I have a lift board with 14s14p Molicel p26 and the battery is really heavy to manage and dang going so big with 14s17p…that must be a tight fit in the board

I use to ride a 50l board with straps, jumping, hard carving… this 5”6 feels like a space ship🤣 it’s to big
I will use it as “explorer board” or just a board to let friends try the sport
Bdw I will do an automotive wrap to this board, I will post the final product :v:

2 Likes