Liftalike Propjet

So who’s going to be the first to build up a propjet like the lift efoil? Its really just a prop in a jet housing…
I can see the value of having something like it for teaching beginners and even for when you just want a chilled ride.

It looks like a 110mm-120mm prop…

1 Like

Actually the Aerofoils is as well more a prop than a jet…as it is not an impeller working like a pump;-)

However a smaller prop in a duct looks like a jet and combines some advantages of both world. Waydoo did this already last year and decreased the prop to only 110mm diameter… Now I think we will see more of those prop-jets with safer ducts coming… Probably the way to go… But i still love the super silent & efficient “old fashion” propeller :sweat_smile:

Aren’t we looping back to 2018 here? Ducted props are inefficient, and i think that i would dare to put my fingers in (for instance) the flite prop without fearing more issues than a bruise, don’t see the need for ducts really if you choose the right propeller.

The opposite balance in using a thin metal propeller with duct to protect it will be less eficient, higher weight with small real benefit in my opinion, don’t you agree?

On the overall risks: I got a gong veloce stab just now, that thing is sharp like a knife and sticks out - i’d guess that’s a 10 times higher cut risk than the propeller. When i fall i always try to cover my face.

1 Like

As many brands including the main ones have their own jet system in 2023 (Audi, Lift, Fliteboard, Mantafoils, Getfoil, Takuma, Waydoo, Defien … + counting) and offer the choice bewteen prop and jet some offering instant replacement, we will see more and more data/logs that will allow us to detect the least worst of the solutions in terms of autonomy, range, noise, manoeuvrability, …

One of the more interesting things coming out with the prop-jet is that while it’s less efficient, its much smoother to ride and carve with. Now while it may not suit straight-liners, speed freaks and ‘efficiency’ braggers (but then there’s also no one here thats really riding the best and most efficient foils anyway :rofl:). It may instead work well for those that want a 45min foil and do a lot of carving…

There’s trade-offs to everything.

Smoother, how? Have you tried it?
This guy tests it on water, says it’s “not as efficient battery wise but has less drag” when he tests it with his extraordinary gut-feel… “might be less than a folder but better than the three blade”

Ok. I’m not really seeing the logic or reality behind that.

A lot of guys on the lift Facebook groups have said it’s smoother when carving and less sensitive to throttle changes.

I would say it’s probably adding more stability pitch ways (it’s almost like an extra stabilizer) so you will feel less pitch twitch when carving.

Less immediate acceleration will definitely feel smoother on subtle finger twitches on the throttle.

Perhaps someone try that Liftjet without the Stab :thinking:

1 Like

But since it seems more throttle is needed for same thrust means it’s less efficient in creating thrust and couldn’t then the same less sensitive throttle control and same thrust be gained just by lowering the gear setting on a setup with the normal prop?

Lowering the gear on the lift just gives you less maximum throttle. I actually just set mine back to full because the trigger at full throttle is uncomfortable… The maytech remote has a more comfortable trigger.
I’m not overly impressed with my lift board. It’s ridiculously heavy and the mast is bendy…

From experience, making a water jet unit is a great way to show off some old-school lathe and real metal working skills, but with disappointing performance results. Sure, you are likely to significantly reduce the loss in efficiency due to tip vortices of a non-ducted propeller, but unless you can get the tail jet of water out of the water you have nothing more than a ducted propeller with what appears to be overall less efficiency (likely because of the small size and high speed of blades). The change in force achieved by getting the water jet out of the water (and able to “fly” at far greater speed than pushing it against water if submersed) is really significant … going from the ability to hold the unit in a spa when testing it to needing the jet unit to push against the sides when the jet tail was taken above the water (using spa units of thrust here).

1 Like