Lockdown Build - Wales

I see. I thought that they were the X6 models. My mistake.
I still need to find an easy way to charge / balance my 12S12P build.

Get the icharger and a server power supply

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thank you for the info.
Till now all server PSU’s I’ve found do not go above 48 volts
As it’s for a 12P it needs more voltage…
What PSU are you using? HP? Dell? ???

Hi.

Sorry. I don’t understand your question.

The power supply just powers the charger. The charger provides the correct voltage and current to the battery.

Most chargers can run off of a range of voltage. The icharger is happy on a 12v power supply as long as you understand the relationship between voltage, amps, and watts. If you are maxing out your charger watts and want to charge your battery at more amps then you need to increase the power supply voltage. Does that make sense?

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

My error… I was thinking total pack voltage (the max voltage of all the cells together in series).
Thinking of it now, all a load balancing charger (like the icharger) needs to give the cell voltage.
(For Li ion 4.2 volts).
Amps and Watts are a totally different story :slight_smile:

Thank you for reminding me @Flightjunkie

This is scary! I also have the same BMS. Should I replace it with something else…What would be a more reliable alternative (if I still want to use a BMS)?

I can’t imagine they all self destruct but for piece of mind and for the sake of $50 that they cost, I would mate.

You can always move the BMS outside the battery case, and only use it when charging the cells.

An interesting option.

Would this be more reliable? Is 100A peak current enough for 65151?
100A seems to call for extra cooling. A water cooled aluminium plate?
https://www.energusps.com/shop/product/tiny-bms-s516-150a-750a-36?category=4

But why using a BMS for charging when a Charger Like ISDT can do that?

Cause he already has a BMS and power supply?
All that needs to be done is move the BMS outside the case and get a connector.
After this it can be “safely” charged inside a BBQ :slight_smile:

For me, I opted for BMS because of the simplicity and cleanliness. One battery with one charger with one cable to plug in that’s easy to carry around on the go, Simple’s.

I didn’t want my battery/charger to be all DIY with 2x chargers 2x balance leads a load of cables and power supplies. I had this with my E skateboard. Each to their own but that would just P me off.

Plus cost, the price of 2 balance chargers / power supplies compared to a BMS and a one 18A - 52.8v charger theres not much in it.

Despite whats happened I may still put a BMS in my next build, or have it externally. Just not that last P O S.

Does anyone know what BMS Lift and Fliteboard use, I imagine it’s something custom but would be good to know.

Cross link: obviously a 1030M 14S from StafL Systems.

Have you built a new efoil since the “accident” ?

I’ve started another, it’s still not complete though. Once I finish it I’ll post the build again :+1:.

1 Like

Hello
do you have any idea which bms you are going to use? because i just made a new 13S / 11P battery with 18650 / 30Q cells, i want to install a BMS but i have no idea which model and which brand to take so i am looking for help!

Hey Philippe, I’ve done away with a BMS inside the battery this time. I’ve just got a 150A fuse inside the battery and I’m going to completely seal it in the battery box by wrapping it in CF so it’s 100% waterproof. I’m just going to use a BMS externally for charging as I can keep an eye on it. As I bought 2 of the same BMS I’m just going to use that for now but I certainly don’t trust it.

Would a BMS, crappy or not, be save if it’s used for charging only?
I don’t mean externally, but fully integrated into the battery. However bypassed for discharge.

I don’t know if that would eliminate the risk of the BMS failing.
I’m keen to hear your opinions.

Mine was only connected for charging with a 150A fuse for directly discharging and mine went up in smoke. :man_shrugging:t3:

My second build has the BMS externally with a 15 pin vga in a waterproof connector for balancing.

1 Like