Motor Cable Guide to Reduce Drag

What are peoples thoughts about trying to improve the efficiency of the mast through the water by introducing a pointed cable guide/cover trailing edge. This would only be above the motor for e-foiling back out to catch the next wave?

Motor cable is quite large and disruptive of water detaching smoothly at the back of the mast?

Any clever ideas out there of how to do this in an easily attachable and removeable way? I use the same mast for motor-less foiling as well.

Worth the effort? Photo with Axis alloy mast was my first setup. Never tried without a trailing edge tidy of the cable so not sure how much of a difference it makes.

The easiest way is to have a 3d printed section that gets held in place with shrink wrap. That way you’ll probably have the smoothest interface

1 Like

Yeah I agree that would be the smoothest and tidiest way to do it. Unfortunately I want to be able to use the same mast for winging and tow foiling which means heat shrinking and even taping properly each time would be a bit of a pain. Think I have an idea of how to design a 3D printed jacket that is easily removable.

Any progress on this?

Unfortunately not. i have an idea in mind but just haven’t had time to model it up yet. :frowning:

Yes, look at the Mantafoils “TakeOff” solution embedding the 3 cables inside a small detachable minimalist airfoil section aft the mast trailing edge

Interesting, I wonder what the gap between mast trailing edge and the leading edge of the cable foil does for flow?

I’ve always just tried to blend the cable guide into the mast as per below but still requires holding in place somehow on the mast in an easily removeable way.

Did you try to print the cable holder with the motor mount?

Yes I have tried that. My different masts have slightly different offset distance from trailing edge so when I swap between masts I don’t want to have to change cable guides as well. Cheers