Motor Questions for a Kayak

I am looking to build a drive for my kayak. A DIY bixpy type clone, if you are familiar with that. I am probably in the wrong place altogether. But this seams to be the highest concentration of aqua motorized DIY that I can find. :sunglasses:

I am currently running a hacked trolling motor with a DIY remote control on LiFePO4 batts salvaged from medical equipment. I have also almost finished a DIY batt. The motor is brushed and 12v. I would like to switch to brushless, higher voltage (24-36v I think) and maybe pick up a little more speed.

Can anyone give me direction, or point me to somewhere to sort through what motor and prop would work for displacement kayak propulsion?

Depends on the speed u want to go. Cheaper part and well working (6s) would be 6384 (jetboardcologne build). U in to a bit more speed, i suggest something with a gearbox for added torque and lower consumption. Plenty of builds here :slight_smile: Idk how fast will it go until u test it :love_you_gesture:

6384 is a motor starting point. The other half of the equation would be… the prop?

If there are plenty of builds here, still looking, but I have not found them yet. Pointing me to 1 or 3 would be awesome

Bump for some more eyes

I got a suggestion to post pictures of my kayak for better responses. This is a 13.5ft Vibe Sea Ghost. I am currently running a 12v brushed Watersnake trolling motor, that I have hacked with RC remote control ESC, and a DIY remote in an Outterbox case. I get 4.5 mph on flat water pulling 15amps with a 4s LifePO4 batt salvaged from medical equipment.

Bixpy makes a commercial motor that runs 36v and gets about 6.5 mph. I am looking for similar or a little better performance

performance

1 Like

Check out this guys youtube I am following him close and have my own project in the works

I’m still in the design stages of my kayak build. I think I have narrowed it down to these two options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082W7R2N7/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NVSC4BC9Q07E

or

the battery, BMS, ESC and prop… are other things I’m racking my brain on.

The Good of the land guy has shown me that first motor is not what I want. I am finding zero info on motor an prop combinations, like I am used to finding for drones. So I am still clueless on where I am going. But I am going to keep looking. But be sure to post what you try out

Why is that motor not what you want? I’ll post on my build as it comes along.

Have you gotten anywhere with your build yet? I am looking for similar results as you.

No :frowning: I got sidetracked this winter. I’m just starting to pick it back up now.

Let me know what you come up with. I have a temporary solution I am doing again, but I am sure it will break like the last one. Not many of us kayakers here so keep in touch!

I have given up the search. I can’t for the life of me understand why there is zero thrust info available, for motors, props, or combinations thereof. But I would still love to do the project. I can copy like a zerox if someone comes up with a viable option.

Maybe 2 hours reading time is not enough, take your time, it‘s all there, maybe not well organised but it can be found. Start with the builds section. If you spend 20h you will now how to build.

2 Likes

A Bixpy has an output of roughly 400W, so in Your application 1000W should be more than enough? Your hull is short, so an economical hull & top speed will not be that high anyway.
The Bixpy unit has impressive speed compared to power, so assume a nozle works well in this speed range(it will add drag at higher speeds). Unless you will use gear, you need a low KV motor and low pitch propeller, you can calculate backward from design top speed. Probably a 100-120KV(24volt), 4-5 pitch might be a good staring point.

With this motor you will fly

1 Like

400€? :sunglasses:

1680 eur, wild guess only…

1 Like