My attempt at breaking the speed record! Adapting wingset to LF mast

I made a modification to a Cabrinha fuselage last weekend. The hole spacing in the fuselage was 55mm and my liquid force mast has 57mm. So I used my mill to make a slot. Also I cnced a spacer to fill the hole in the fuselage because the liquid force mast is to big to fit. I understand that the connection is a little weaker than before but a lot of foils are like this so I hope it wil be fine.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we have the same mast! Perhaps, they have a bit of tolerance and I’m not using the best measuring tools. Could you measure the middle slot of the mast (inner dimensions)? These dimensions and the hole spacing are the only LF mast dimensions impacting the adaptor @Jezza made! Let me know.

I hit 28.8 MPH (48kph) and that was at about 70% throttle.

I think I could break 58kph. Maybe. That’s only 6mph faster.

I need to trim the rear wing a bit.

Lmk how your attempt goes. :sunglasses::crossed_fingers::beers:

:call_me_hand:

4 Likes

The slot is 44.6mm x 8.6mm from side to side. I have a mitutoyo so I know it is correct :wink: I rounded it to the nearest 1/10 ofcourse.

That is a nice speed! What motor, prop and wing do you use? I will test again soon with my new Cabrinha high rise speed wing. I hope it will make a difference with my liquid force thruster. Size is almost the same but the Cabrinha has a different faster looking profile.

2 Likes

Folding prop no duct right?

Yes. Sorry forgot to mention that. It’s been added to the YouTube description. Thx.

:call_me_hand:

A good calliper starts as low as 10usd (Home Depot, LIDL, …) or bring both your Spotz and LF masts to a place where there is one.
Only you have access to the Spotz mast bottom dimensions.
Here is @MauiMan Liquid Force unknown mast search.

How did this mod work out? I may need to do something similar.

Did anyone break the speed record? Also i hit 38kmh( nothing special) at 30% throttle at 2000w. Gong m. Me 50kg. I can start with 1000w and fly with 600w.

I’hit 40kmh regularly and prefer foiling around 35 in calm waters. Today limited by 14s, 100kv and 6” pitch prop.
Will try 16s with medium Gong Veloce next week, but still need the missing FR 7” prop for 50kmh capability… Damn, why did I go 100kv on all 3 masts…

Also where does this become dangerous? I’ve never hurt myself sofar, bit keep hearing about potential eardrum breakage at some falling point.

Jelous of you Felix. Not only do I have to use Maytech remotes, I also have to push 100kg of flesh and 200L board with 5000w@40kmh.

Life is not fair😜

Haha my remote shows me all the data while riding. No seriously, im just very lightwaight and with a gong M I can go so slow.

That is really cool.

From other watersports I can tell you bad entry angles/positions below the 50km/h mark is when the water starts to feel pretty harsh in a crash. When you get north of 50km/h you can get pretty hurt and the water can feel like you are bouncing off concrete. I have seen someone do cartwheels across the water at 65-70kph and definitely not by choice! I generally try to form into a ball and skid on my back if I am hitting the water hard at high speed and not attached to anything.

I would consider a helmet and impact vest if you don’t wear them already. A neoprene hoodie or tight snowboarding helmet with ear covers works great to protect the ear drums for these types of shenanigans. Make sure it is tight or it can turn into a bucket where your chin is holding the handle.

I’ve just been doing some testing on 16S with an SS56104 500KV and PLE040 gearbox with the VESC 75/300 and got to 54KMH (averaged up/down stream run). Running the Slingshot infinity 76 wing, with my aluminium 3 blade prop. Motor current was limited to 255A and I think it was hitting the limit, increasing from the previous test limit of 240A to 255A increased the speed so it definitely takes some amps to push this wing to these speeds. I wish I got some more data though.

Looking forward to seeing this get beaten!!

14 Likes

Could you by time Share the logs? I would Like to See consumption vs Speed.

If I recorded logs on this ride I would share them! I’m really curious to know what the power consumption was at this speed and the speeds above 40kph. I’ll take it out again in a few days and get a log on 16 S and share it.

Here’s a log of the exact same setup on 12S. https://youtu.be/D7c8BObyICw

Get yourself a metr and all good :sweat_smile:

You need a faster wing. That wing must be eating into your power at that speed!
It would be interesting to see what your RPM is and what the pitch of the prop is…