My first E-foil build from Holland

Hi!

After reading a lot through the forum I started my first build.
The amount of knowledge on the forum is insane and it helped me a lot.

First, who am I?
I am Mitchel Kraai and I am located in Holland.
Currently I am in college and I will hopefully graduating my Industrial design bachelor next week.
I always have been fascinated by everything motorized.

The last three months I have been busy building my first E-foil and the first test was last week.
The parts I used:
Motor: The well known Flipsky 65161 motor
vesc: Flipsky 75100
Battery: self build 14s10P 18650
Board: self build from eps and CF
Foil: North sonar with the HA1450 front wing (to big) and the S01 stab
Controller: Flipsky vx3
Prop: Fliteboard

I will upload more pictures soon, as a new member I only can add one embedded picture.

I started the build with making the board. I used EPS 150 for it and I got it from the local insulation company. Working with composites was not new but building a board was.
I have put mast tracks in the board but it was a mistake, the tracks are 3cm high and it ment that the electronics compartment could only be 9cm deep.
The board is made with a sandwich construction of CF and balsa wood.
The board is bomb proof but also a bit heavy.

The compartment was made after the board was almost ready and I don’t like the outcome.
The edges are not that nice and it was a pain to make it waterproof.

The motor mount and protection duct have been 3D printed out of Nylon Pa-12 with the Hp fusion jet printer at work. The parts are grey-ish after printing and I dyed them black with RIT dye.
For cooling the VESC I modeled a channel in the nose of the nosecone. The water pressure will force water into the cooling system and it keeps the motor controller really cool. With normal cruising the VESC doesn’t get hotter that 30 degrees C.

The battery was build by myself with the Arduino spotwelder.
The battery is made from Samsung INR18650-20R cells.
The total capacity is 20.000 Mah, and i can cruise for more than a hour with it.

All the electronics and battery are enclosed in Bopla cases.

I am not that happy how the board turned out so the redesign is already made, I will make a mould for the compartment en make it from resin infused CF.
The board itself will also be remade, A slightly smaller and more compact board will me made without the mast tracks so the compartment can be 12cm deep.
Also the Flipsky vesc will be changed for the Raiden 7 vesc. The vesc will be mounted on top of the mast (have done some inspiration on the forum) so assembly on the beach will be more easy and faster.

I will place some flying footage soon!

Thanks,

8 Likes

A bit off pictures now :blush:

started the build with making the board. I used EPS 150 for it and I got it from the local insulation company. Working with composites was not new but building a board was.
I have put mast tracks in the board but it was a mistake, the tracks are 3cm high and it ment that the electronics compartment could only be 9cm deep.
The board is made with a sandwich construction of CF and balsa wood.
The board is bomb proof but also a bit heavy.

The compartment was made after the board was almost ready and I don’t like the outcome.
The edges are not that nice and it was a pain to make it waterproof.

The motor mount and protection duct have been 3D printed out of Nylon Pa-12 with the Hp fusion jet printer at work. The parts are grey-ish after printing and I dyed them black with RIT dye.
For cooling the VESC I modeled a channel in the nose of the nosecone. The water pressure will force water into the cooling system and it keeps the motor controller really cool. With normal cruising the VESC doesn’t get hotter that 30 degrees C.

The battery was build by myself with the Arduino spotwelder.
The battery is made from Samsung INR18650-20R cells.
The total capacity is 20.000 Mah, and i can cruise for more than a hour with it.

All the electronics and battery are enclosed in Bopla cases.

I am not that happy how the board turned out so the redesign is already made, I will make a mould for the compartment en make it from resin infused CF.
The board itself will also be remade, A slightly smaller and more compact board will me made without the mast tracks so the compartment can be 12cm deep.
Also the Flipsky vesc will be changed for the Raiden 7 vesc. The vesc will be mounted on top of the mast (have done some inspiration on the forum) so assembly on the beach will be more easy and faster.

4 Likes

Leuk. Weer een Nederlander erbij :slight_smile:
Er is een “Dutch eFoil riders” groep actief op WhatsApp. Zal ik je een linkje sturen via een PB?

Welcome Mitchel
Your board looks nice!

1 Like

Ja leuk! Altijd goed!

Thanks!

Hi Kian, kun je mij ook ff toevoegen? Leuk!

1 Like

Hoi mitchel die batterij is flink! Circa 1000 Wh schat ik zo.
Wat weegt dat pack bij elkaar? En hoe lang duurt het laden?

Als je meer dan een uur kan varen met deze batterij kom ik op gemiddeld 20A, dat is wel heel netjes qua stroomverbruik!

Ja klopt, iets meer dan 1 kWh. Met de grote north HA 1450 foil verbruikte ik gemiddeld 800 watt uur.
Nu heb ik de MA 1250 van north er onder zitten. Een stuk meer wendbaar maar wel minder efficient.
Hier gebruik ik ongeveer 1200 watt uur mee.

1 Like

hey wat leuk, mooi gemaakt ook. Waar kom je uit nederland, kunnen we misschien eens samen varen.
Ik vaar al een tijdje op een eigen gebouwd boardje, en het wordt nu tijd voor versie 2.
Ik vroeg mij af, omdat ik ook veel wingfoil op north sonar, of het gemakkelijk was die af72 mast, aan te passen? zat er genoeg ruimte in voor de kabels en koeling? ben benieuwd hoe je dat hebt gemaakt?
Ben je ook bereid je stl files te delen voor de motor mount? dan ga ik ook opzoek naar een sonar mast en voet, mijn wingfoil versie is carbon, dus dat lukt niet.

erg mooi gemaakt,

m.v.g

Johannes kalma

zou je mij ook kunnen toevoegen? weet niet of er ook mensen in friesland foilen, maar ik wel

1 Like