Need more power ! :)

Hey guys - I have:
500 kv motor
5:1 gearbox reducer
2 6s Lipo batteries in series for a total of 44.4. volts
1 130A esc 12s

What’s the simplest way to increase my power?

Get a more efficient wing

not even using a wing yet - i’m pushing a board with it!

What can i change in my power setup that would be the most effective?

You didn’t provide enough specs so noone can help you.
500 kv can be vide variety of motors
How many amps can your batteries deliver?

130 a max for esc or continuous?

sorry - here try this:

2x HobbyStar 5000mAh 6S 22.2V 100C Hardcase LiPo Battery 1/8 Scale XT90 Plug in series

1x Seaking 130A-HV V3 ESC

1x 57MM Nema 23 Gear Ratio 5:1 Planetary Gearbox

1x SSS 56104/500KV Brushless Motor 6 Poles W/O Water Cooling For RC Marine Boats

Get better battery!Your Lipos will show a massive voltage drop under that load. 5Ah is way too less. Go for 20Ah or more

You can already push like 6kw with your current setup (aside from your underpowered battery), I don’t understand how you need more power unless this is a jetboard :sweat_smile:

You have about 100kv at the shaft so torque is not a problem for you neither, your prop is probably the problem. What prop you using + how is the whole system mounted ? Share some pictures if you can :v:t2:

so it’s a hybrid thing - basically a jetboard that i’m working with.

It is strong, just wondering how to make it stronger !! :slight_smile:

I’m using the prop from the instructions here

I’ve got my 3D printer happily printing away , so I can certainly make a different prop!

Also i’ll look into the 20Ah batteries!

Jet board usually need high rpm’s. At 12S you are not even close to hitting half of a jetboard’s rpm.
You want to make it more powerful ? You have enough torque to try 150mm prop and at least 9” pitch. This will help you get some serious speed while eating much more amps at the same time haha

1 Like

How do you calculate and measure torque? I’ve always wondered. I assume it’s foot-pounds of twisting strength, so to speak?

There’s enough torque because you’ve got a gearbox attached. Torque theories are completely useless to you now (and in the future). Solve the propeller issue at the very end, when the motor system is complete, functional and reliable.

Usually you get these info from the motor manufacturer. Otherwise you just need a torque meter.

But, in our case an empirical formula is easier for a good estimate.

Torque = (8,3 x Imax) / Kv

Which gives for this motor :

T = (8,3 x 132) / 500 = 2,19Nm

He is using a gearbox, aka a torque multiplier with ratio 1:5 and there final torque is multiplied by the ratio (we consider the gearbox to have 100% efficiency. Usually close to 95-98%, we just want to have something easy to figure out so we’ll pass on this part)

T (after gearbox = at shaft) = 2,19 X 5 = 10,95 Nm

This total output torque is enough to try even higher pitched prop, but 9” with 150mm diameter is a good start already.