New (jet board) build discussion thread

Some users have made good points on the SSS56114 or 56xxx. It might have enough torque if i can get into more of the usable range of the motor. These motors i think are rated for 25K? 80mm outrunners seem to max out around or under 15k. If i can shove 50 or 70v into the right winding 56123 i might get an amperage well within the range i’m looking for. Spoke with TFL today about a 230KV option.

TP100xl is even worse at 12k. Again that doesn’t mean those wouldn’t be good candidates for larger impellers. That is where those would need to live. We could run large diameter impellers with smaller otulets for higher pressure. But again you start to beat up plastic pretty good and those tend to be the more inefficient type. Too much pressure restricts flow and you can see it in the flow charts. Input power goes up massively and output power rises slowly.

1 Like

So once again, what about your 65mm jet with an 80100 outrunner…
At 12S with 350KV it would max out at around 17000 RPM and I think it should have enough torque due to its large diameter.

My plan is to build a surfboard with a single jet drive. I’d like to test your jet with a 80100 outrunner. And if this motor should not be sufficient for such a big jet, maybe a 60mm jet will be better suited.
And if the 80100 isn’t capable of handling this jet either, the only solution would be two smaller jets.
At least in my opinion.

Yeah that would definitely handle it if they make a water-cooled version? Can you link it? 350kv would be awesome.

@Sliman_O Hey Sliman, you said you own a carver right? Could you please measure the in.diameter of the water-outlet nozzle of the jet? Mind sharing?

Yeah sure.
Here is the 80100 in 350kv

https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/80mm/c80100-outrunner-brushless-motor-350kv-7000w/

I know that many members used this motor at 80KV successfully for a direct drive foil before the maytech/flipsky motors became popular.
And it is possible to order custom KV, power and motor shaft. So I think you should also be able to order a water cooled version.

Here is a water cooled version but with only 200KV

https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/80mm/aps-83100sw-sensored-outrunner-bldc-motor-200kv-7kw-water-cooled/

By the way, where can I find your jet ?

Iv’e not released it publicly yet. I want to relatively refine the design first. I did email Alien and ask about max RPM’s for their c80 line and a water cooled version of that motor. If it does at least 15,000rpm I could always scale jet size up to bring the load where I want it.

The other option is to go with a TP100 and scale more RPM out of the same drive.

I do. Here you are :

35,5mm +0.0 -0.2 I would say
Walls are 2 +0.1mm thick

I could easily 3D scan the nozzle, diffuser and impeller if anyone near me had a 3D scanner to lend. I then could share the files with the community !

4 Likes

Why delete the video ? I enjoyed it…

That’s really good ! So if I get it right you need to run different simulations for different results, like flow analysis, thrust,… ? Do you think there is kind of software that can plot all these results with one simulation ? Mechanical resistance included ?

Do you also have the torque over speed needed to drive your jet ?
Do you run your CFD simulations on Solidworks or a specific software ?

That’s too bad.
I’d like to try your jet out

Most definitely the industry probably has something like that. Yes, I use solidworks flow.

I was looking online at the Carvier X. They call it 10,000watt powerplant with 40 minute run-times at mixed speeds with a top of 45km/h. That’s a twin-jet model.

I see two paths for me moving forward. Obtaining a 80100 or something of the like and maximizing efficiency and power of this jet. Or going 100100 and making one larger powerplant that used the full 10,000watts. That’s a 100v setup though. A 30amp 100v battery is going to run a good $800 with no BMS.

I’ll get some in peoples hands once i get this motor thing figured out. I don’t want the users to have to speculate motor and ESC choice (you don’t need to waste that $$). I want to set those parameters to make this as easy as possible. Everyone will be happy when i can say; “use this motor, this esc, this battery”. It works i know it does and it makes this much power. Thats what im trying to offer once i get there.

2 Likes

or just hook up two outrunner 63mm in serie, i really think that can be done easily just by matching the shaft,rotor,stator… position , both run like a big one by one vesc

Wont that just balance the amp load of the same diameter? Bruno from APS is working with me right now…

There is no direct way to contact Bruno. You have to submit “Contact Us” forms in order to send any type of questions. So far my experience with the contact is insane. He’s either not reading the questions I have, doesn’t understand them or it’s a general reply. Stay tuned.

I set up a meeting with him tomorrow. Lets see if he attends.

EITHER WAY i’m looking for other motor manufacturers.

Idea’s gents? Maytech’s prices are kinda bonkers but i put a request in with them just to see.

the way is see thing, it is about torque needed, for sure outrunner have more torque, but the bigger they are the lower the kv you found, rpm is may be not a probleme with your jet… yes load will be split on two “underworking” motors instead of a bigger one, but i think two 6384 would offer a higher efficency than a 80100, and a higher kv rang for a single jet , just like onean did and i never read about motor problem

what would be really interessing is the measure the rpm drop on your jet set up ( assuming the battery hold up with minimal voltage drop under max load)

and to keep voltage low…, my first efoil setup (8s) was running well and fast, on high amp (130-240A) indeed, but not the much trouble with 10awg , cheap lipo…at the end

i may be wrong but the amp limit comes after the “14s” limit in watersport, at least that one thing i don’t want to find out

Great minds think alike friend. This is the subject matter motor. I’m essentially asking if i can get it in 250Kv. Highest KV i saw for the 80100 was 200kv and on 18s. Which would be fine by the way… i’d try that exact motor but out of stock. One of the things i challenged Bruno to answer was motor availability.

" PLEASE NOTE: Alien Electronics LTD adopts a continuous development program which sometimes necessitates specification changes without notice. Pictures of products and information in the instructions manual are for reference only and can be changed without notice at any time. Colors of goods are subject to stock availability"

So i’m a supplier quality engineer. Someone who puts that blanket statement on their product is essentially saying it is not their product. He has no control over the supply chain. These are Chineese motors sourced by him and that’s why the price is as low as it is. I doubt he will be able to supply any custom motor KV unless it’s coupled with an order of 50-100 or more.

with the free version , you can simulate some motor, like the tp100-350kv
with the tfl 56mm i end up around 3nm at 7000rpm for 100A like your test

with the tp100-350kv to stay around 100A at 19000rpm for 55v, it gave me 3nm also for 95% efficiency, so i guess torque would rise as thrust and rpm

the tp100-350kv can give 10nm of torque and stay under 80°C with a good cooling , but this needs 370A…

running the tp100-350 on 6s like the SSS : we gain about 300w

if i read correctly your simulation, you double the rpm,about same kv: voltage x2, torque/thrust x2 = power x4 - 10-20% using the correct size motor

Use that same calculator but with the TP100 (120kv). Use 8nm as the goal @ 15,000rpm. It pulls 125v to achieve it at 100a but shows 96.5% efficiency of 13kw.

Then we modify the jet to load 15k rpm at 100a and take advantage of all 13kw electrical power. Thats kinda what i want to do currently. I dont know 100v is any more dangerous than 50v when it gets dunked into water. Just need to take some serious steps a short-out can’t happen and if it does it blows the bms or fuse instead of the pack.

13kw @ 8nm in american is 18hp/5.9ft-lbs