OKP's build - Another eFoil in France!

I quickly designed and printed a TPU cover for the DB15 and it’s a super tight and perfect fit. It’s not 100% waterproof but I have to admit that it can resist to a lot of abuse before the water touches any pin !

now the box, quick and dirty in PETG. Pretty happy.

1 Like

Be sure to regularly coat the DB15 pins with corrosion x or similar as they rust pretty quick if damp or in sea air. :+1:

1 Like

thanks @Wardy ! I was recommended dielectric grease instead of corrosion X, would you agree?

1 Like

The grease would be better stuff for sure, I used CX as I had it to hand. :+1:

1 Like

thanks mate, I’m asking as I have both at hands.

I also put electric grease from RS packaged in syringe it goes well

1 Like

Dielectric grease should not be used on electrical contacts but used to seal water out of electrical connectors. The grease is silicone based and will act as an insulator.

There is actually a lot of mixed/ confusing information about this on the web…Assume using battery clamp grease on electrical connectors( the actual contact point) is ok, not sure how conductive that is but probably not dielectric.

I found information on the Internet that automotive grease for brake caliper guides is well suited for electrical contacts. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but I want to try it!

back from holidays. I’ve received the propeller from @Flying_Rodeo . Big Up David for the excellent and amazing work.

1 Like

Nice propeller and nice color for a “girly” e foil :grinning:

I don’t think you’re correct.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/myth-grease-interferes-with-conductivity

Just saying… plenty of sources out there with same message.

1 Like

Hello, I was working on other projects; but now I’m back to move on this one.

I’ve created the cavity for my mast and will try to see if it fits. I will need then to create a channel for the water tube cooling (on the nose of the “mast mount”).

what size are you all recommending for the tube ? any tube recommendations?

I will go for PETG. 40% infill.

Capture d’écran 2022-02-10 à 18.29.26

This is what it looks like with a 6mm tube area

1 Like

hey, I looked back at the design and the lack of material around the clamp to hold the mast. That could have probably worked but I redesigned completely a new clamp around my mast. I will share all the files if that can help someone in building his eFoil.

I will be going for a OD 8/ ID 5.5mm tube (thanks a lot @tosh.jah for the advices) and as soon I get it (probably next week), I will be able to almost finalize my mast clamp

I’m now printing the rear clamp part 60%; line infill; PETG at 245°C so I can get a perfect bond.

I’ve also (almost) completely finalized the battery pack. You know that moment when you’re done and you must connect the BMS and power… a little error and boom ! I’ve verified again and again and it works as expect. what a relief. When I get the foil board, I will close this battery enclosure with sikaflex or epoxy, whatever in fact.

I’m also willing to move on the propeller. I order one propeller but it’s not drilled for 12mm… any good idea on how to make this “hole” enlargement when you got no “industrial tooling” at hand?

I was also wondering one thing. You see on the external BMS to battery … I’ve put a XT90 to avoid sparks. How did you guys avoid sparks when connecting your battery to ESC on the board? I was thinking in getting QS8-S connectors (rated for 180A)

2 Likes

I have built a antispark switch.

Quite simple. Just some FET‘s and resistors.
Like this you can use any connector.

1 Like

thanks @Toto44 ! in fact I was also thinking of going with an anti spark switch but may failed in the world of “ESK8”. The switch was also useful because you rarely open the enclosure. With an efoil, it’s probably easier to avoid having a on/off switch That’s why maybe a simple connector such as a QS8 would make the deal and plug and play!

Well those connectors are not waterproof, that is what I do not like. I have the qs10 on the shelf, but went for amphenol waterproof ones. Because of that I need the antispark switch.
And I am thinking of replacing the switch with a reed an use magnet as auto switch off when I fall.

1 Like

slow move is better than no move !

@okp , how did you crimp Amphenol connectors on the wires?

https://foil.zone/uploads/default/original/3X/2/f/2f81d9ab40e06ac2ee2f181d36ddbc90b9176101.jpeg