OKP's build - Another eFoil in France!

thanks a lot @Wingaddict Henry and big up @Manufoil Tibo !

The mast is getting sorted. In the meanwhile I will continue to buy the material / electronics; starting with the remote and controller. I’ll get then the cells and BMS.

For the remote, I have few options : the Fero Remote or the VX3… or Maytech. Any other suggestions?

For the ESC, there is plenty of choice but as I will go for water-cooling; the Flipsky FSESC75200 75V becomes a more natural option. The ZESC Raiden7 seems to be a cool option but no water-cooling ability.

Don’t know if you have heard about the MGM ESC. They are high end products at a cost

Hi OKP, I purchased the FS 75200 too with water cooling don’t know at that point whether it is a good idea but some builders succeed with it. @leoleoleo31 provided helpful advices and his first build was successful. @osavcic succeed too with the same if I am right. It seems that several builders have good result with Flipsky solution ( but not with the prop as received)
I just received the 65161 motor today but the chinese that is supposed to make my battery is not as rapid as I would expect( I am not skilled enough to build a battery from scratch, that scary me…).look forward to your progress ! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

The mgm controller is very fine i have become my second yesterday. the mgm guys have a great Support and 3 years of warranty im very happy about the controller and the old one wher sell it on my old board from 2019 is still working

1 Like

@osavcic mentioned the erayfoil remote as an alternate remote.image
He also used basic remote like VX1 in latex balloon…clever idea, isn’t it ? I will do that first to test my setup since my VX3 is on his long long way from the empire of the middle :joy:

1 Like

Hi Woden, what reference for the MGM?
Thx

1 Like

I’m also running MGM controllers in both of my builds. Although they are the 14063-3. I’ve not had any problems with them. I’ve gotten the 25063-3 for my next build. The difference in size is quite amazing!

1 Like

The makerX 75200 was a bit hard to setup but I think it is due to the limitation of detection with big inruner. Would have happen with any vesc. I logged 117km to date pushing it up to 300A motor current on waterstart, so far so good… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hi OKP, for the For the water cooling why not using the clever approach proposed by @Flightjunkie see « New 200A Vesc based Flipsky » I took the liberty to copy/paste his photoimage

1 Like

yes, I like the @Flightjunkie approach

the MGM seems dope as well but 600 euros shipping excl. is a lot of money! @tosh.jah did you get it at that price as well?. It looks like a beast! Why don’t you go for a VESC FlipSky ? big diff? The MGM does not seems “waterproof or water resistant” stock, compared to the flip sky on which all the components are under “resin coating”? This may mean that you need to put your MGM inside a box?

I’m also thinking about the 300A opto seal… which could be a good choice!

for the remote, I really like the Fero remote “look” but that’s another 250 euros!

for the mast, it’s sorted. I’ll get an AFS - 85cm. These guys are dope. I will be able to use my existing Performer and Flier wingfoil wings!

Now for the battery. What are you all going for ? I was thinking about 14S12P. This would be 168 cells

For the cells, an interesting and still affordable option would be Molicel INR18650-P26A 2600mAh - 35A

That’s a 31.2Ah pack with a max 420 amps continuous for 620 euros (raw cell cost)… with a 7,8kg weight BMS not included.

Any insights about this guys?!

Molicel P42A could also be an option, 14S8P would give you 32Ah and weight slightly less. Max current would be more than enough too.

yes, I was lurking at them. good pick

14S8P would give 112 cells for a total of 32Ah with a total weight of 7,5kg. That’s also way less cells to weld!

70mm x 21,2mm. I’m wondering what would be the dimension of the pack. I may need to make it a 3D model to get further insights of the space required to think about the length of the area I will need to dig in the board. With the cells close to close, this is 21,2mm x 14 by 21,2 x 8 = 29,68cm x 16,96cm.

How long do you think I can fly with this setup? Should I go bigger in terms of Ps?

For the pack waterproof ability, I plan to create a jig box around and pour silicone around it. The pack will be drown in silicon. So basically a 3D printed custom enclosure filled in with silicon.

As my thinking goes, I may build two sub 7S 8AH battery packs that I will wire in series. This will allow me to charge it with my external RC battery charger and I’ll get rid of the BMS.

Best is to draw a model, there are some spacers available to isolate the rows.

US $4.55 5% Off | 10pcs/lot 21700 Battery Holder Bracket ABS Plastic 20 Cells 10S2P Battery Spacer Expandable Battery Holder
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLuHxKO

For the ride time it depends on your system efficiency, wing, speed and the number of takeoffs but I gues you should get between 45 and 60 min.

1 Like

thanks Daniel, so maybe I need a bit more Ah… 14S10P? I don’t know what is a reasonable battery weight on an eFoil without making it a tank. 1 hour could be fun; then I could have two other packs that I can use as spares… so I’ll get a lighter board but will cover the amps with additional packs

There is no standard really, depends on your preference. Commercial boards like lift and flite have rather big and heavy batteries and longer ride time. In the end it is a tradeoff between weight and ride time. In my opinion the battery should not exceed 10kg, the system just gets too heavy. Beetween 8 and 10P 14S seems to be a good balance between ride time and weight (with MolicelP42A). If you split the battery, it will get slightly thicker as with odd S, you have the terminal wires on two different sides.

1 Like
1 Like

I have two 6S10P batteries of Molicell P42A . It gives me 50-60 min ride with 63100 outrunner and 1300 sq.cm foil. Cruising speed 22 km/h Max 28-29 km/h

2 Likes

for the ESC, the more I think about it, the more I think going with a Raiden is a better option. The Flipsky is rated up to 12S per specs.

Or makerx HI 200 Go-FOC HI200/HI100 4-16s 75V 300A electric Surfboard Electric Motorcycle Electric kart bicycle ESC VESC - MakerX
75V version. You would need to waterproof it yourself and attach watercooling if you need it.

2 Likes

thanks Daniel. HV200 would be a good option too. I’m good to build the water-cooling following the @Flightjunkie methodology with the tube around the IP68 aluminum box