Perfect low cost lithium ion commercial battery for efoil or foil drive assist : LIDL Parkside X20V 8AH

in absolute terms, you’re right, but for those who want to make their own kit quickly without investing in a spot welder and all that’s needed to make a lithium ion battery (with the risks that this represents), + buying and plugging in a BMS, it’s still not so bad.
In terms of quality, there are not so cheap and support easily 60A battery current, 4200mah capacity per cell doesn’t seem overrated (manage to efoil 15-20 minutes) really enough for a faux drive assist.

3 Likes

@nicolasLGM, would you open one of these 8Ah batteries and tell us which 21700 cell reference you find inside and confirm the Serial / Parallel structure as well ?

It is interesting to compare the battery + charger combo price in € accross Europe:

Lidl site 8Ah Battery price 1x12A BT Charger price Total
.fr 42 55 97
.de 50 40 90
.be 50 35 85
.nl 70 45 115

Battery from France + charger from Belgium is the best option (75€)
The old battery charger 2x4.5A is another cheap possibily

Lidl site 2x4,5A Charger price
.fr 12,5
.de 38
.be 20
.nl 30
1 Like

I had a small leak in my box , it damaged one cell , I opened the battery to check, and remove the damaged cell. Can I replace this damaged cell by a 21700 Samsung 40t 4000mah ( very close from the lidl cell) ?

1 Like

So we have a genuine 5S2P setup confirmed by

You have to find a cell with identical or higher Max. Continuous Discharge Current.
The Molicel P42A 4000mA with 45A MCDC might be too good for the job :wink:
Not sure what happens if their power discharge capacity doesn’t match that of the group cells they are inserted in.

A huge and heavy home-made 16Ah Parkside battery (April 2023):

Hello guys, could you detail what you use to have optimum electrical contact between the battery and your cables in the “Parkside x20 adapter”?

I use this product on 10awg cable :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005759515360.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.659.54145e5bqoignZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

1 Like

Hi Gents,

The smart charger is quite expensive in particular if you already have chargers at home.

I have seen people charging their battery with their own charger but none using the other connectors.

• Do you think it’s safe ?
  • Do you think the internal BMS is good enough to balance the batteries ?
  • If yes, why are they selling a “smart” charger ?
  • If no, how could we replicate this “smart” feature ?

Parkside (car) Battery Charger / Mount X 20 Team by MYLE - Thingiverse

Cheers
Dany

It’s refered to as “smart” because you have different feature the 28€ 2x4.5A double slot battery charger doesn’t offer:

• smartphone app over BT
  • 60% charge hold feature
  • 2 - 3 - 4 - 8A charge curent

Con: one slot only wrt 2 slots with legacy charger

Hi Nicolas,
I see that the bluetooth feature allow to setup maximum amps and voltage.
Could you share the settings you are using ?
Cheers
Dany

Hi Dany
ECO mode, it s indicated max 60A, and 3V low tension

Hello! Very interested in this approach to get started. I am in the US and can’t find the parkside ones.

Could I use these ones?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/176317284971?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=s14_fwcpqag&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4VPYGAkOTv-&var=475811317291&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, what adapter will i need to connect 2 of these? Thanks

Packs like that might work, but I think it’s risky because they are off brand knockoffs and you have no idea what cells are in there and what those cells are actually capable of. There are some tool packs out there that do have good quality cells if you research the topic. Some YouTube channels do pack tear down videos. I know harbor freight had nice Samsung cells in some of their tool packs a while ago but they may have switched. Good quality cells just cost more, building your own pack usually ends up costing less

Found one pack at $60 each with 21700 cells, 20v 9ah. No mention of brand

How do you charge these batteries? With their regular charger?