Prop design share

What material did you end up using to print? I eventually settled on Polycarbonate (Prusa PC) because all the others kept breaking.

Hope it works out for you as well as it does for me!

PetG hub successfully broken at startup, all blades is missed at the bottom of the river. Hub not for 3d plastic printing. needs to be strengthened, aluminum cnc, or redesign

That honestly doesn’t surprise me. That has been my experience as well until I started printing all the parts in PC.

Even my carbon fiber PETG didn’t hold up.

I think there is not enough material with those screw holes, It will probably break, no matter what material you build it from.

Definitely the weak spot for sure. The cross sectional area there is very minimal. I will test with the material I have.

I have been using the metal hub that I had made.

Tree blades propeller is working fine on 6384 motor
Fiber carbon reinforcements on all surface of the 3d printed parts is my solution

11 Likes

Nice work. How did you do such a neat job with the carbon fibre? Did you print the parts slightly narrower to account for the carbon fibre layer on top?

Also, how does it ride? Any noticeable improvements over a two blade folding prop?
Thanks.

My 3D printed PC blades broke today finally. I guess the stress is just too much for them.

I will probably be getting aluminum ones made up this week.

I do not recommend using the prop printed without reinforcement. It clearly still has some issues, but if someone want to modify it, go for it.

Echoing Nekite - how did you do such a neat job with the carbon fibre? Did you print the parts slightly narrower to account for the carbon fibre layer on top? It looks amazing!

3 blades propeller on 6384 is working fine. At moment I don’t have any data to show to compare the 2 blades vs 3 blades. But in the following video of the real test usually I don’t have the full throttle during the ride and the power is about 1.1 kW (8s4p) with about1800 RPM (vesc 75100).
I agree with Twshale, to not recommend to use the only 3d print without reinforcement.
My solution is the carbon fiber after the 3d print (PLA or PETG), just putting on top of the each surface and on the base of the blade. It increase the thickness about of 0.4 mm (possible reduction to compensate). I’ll make a video how to do this very soon

4 Likes

Printed this blade with pa12cf, let’s see if it breaks

1 Like

hello c est Paul merci a bientôt

No recorded case of unbalanced FR prop out of the box on this forum.
Reminded by David, the brand owner, the FR alu prop is fine tuned before shipping so is ready “as is”.

Hello, can you please recommend me stl of propeller for 65161, 100kv, 12s battery? I focus on effectivity. Thank you very much.

I think it’s better to buy for a 65161. FDM 3d prints aren’t strong enough to be reliable, and a one off SLS is probably the same cost as an aluminium from from Flying Rodeo, or one from MantaFoils or Propellor King.

Thank you for reply. I can print for free. Can you recommend me stl for my application please?

Has everyone seen this?

A 3 blade folding propeller is now commercially available through foil drive.

It looks very similar to the design here but the hub is wider with a connection through the middle which no doubt offers extra strength.

If you want strong FDM parts use ABS. If you use ABS slurry (take some abs fillament and dissesolve it in acetone) ass epoxy/resin you will get a 100% perfect bond to the part. I have tried with PC/Nylon/PLA and epoxy and under hi load the glassfiber reinforcement just dislamenates from the plastic.

I tried ABS a while back. It didn’t last nearly as long as the PC did. The PETG CF I tried was very stiff but was not tough enough to handle the take offs.

I never tried fiber reinforcement. I am not that skilled in detailed glass work.

Either way, I have an aluminum version of the design now which should last the life of the board and then probably longer. It works great.

It is an interesting design. I was unable to fill in the center since I need to access that area to attach the propeller. I would have needed an adapter plate to change that. It is good that there are more options coming into commercial availability.

1 Like