Question about extending Maytech receiver antenna

The one I purchased and provided the link for also has the plug. So, it’s plug and play. And the antenna is super small compared to this other one. So, I think that’s a huge plus.

:call_me_hand:

This is a picture of the first one I purchased. 60cm. Now I have a 120cm one. Otherwise exactly the same. Runs all the way to the nose of my board and the receiver is inside the aluminum box. Great reception.

1 Like

Today I had the same problem. After reading this and watching a couple videos, I think I will try to make a longer antenna.I don’t think I have any coax that small. See any reason that the coax needs to be that thin.

Where are you currently locating the receiver? Also what is the enclosure made of? In its current location is it possible for its enclosure to become completely submerged?

I only ask these questions because these three things have had major affects on my current setups ability to receive a signal from the transmitter

The receiver is located n the worst possible spot. Under the VESC, far Aft, very low. CF enclosure.

Yea. Just run the antenna up to the front of the enclosure. Just buy a 120cm extended antenna from AliExpress.

If you already have a aftermarket external antenna then I think you could have good results extending it yourself with coax cable. But, if you only have to stock maytech receiver antenna I don’t think you can extend it with as good of results.

#Aliexpress US $2.89 30%OFF | L250mm L400mm L600mm L1200mm FrSky 2.4G Receiver Antenna Futaba JR Hitec Flysky 2.4G Receiver 3DBi Copper Tube IPX13 Plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZU7TNv

The connector on the receiver is very small so I don,t think I could remove it and salvage it. I am going to try to splice a thin coax to the the existing antenna as neatly as I can. Then re-terminate the end of the coax closer to the fwd end of my board. At the same time I will order a longer antenna using the link you provided. It can take 2 months from Aliexpress sometimes.

If you pay the $20 for expedited shipping you’ll get it in a week or two.

I orderd the 1,2m antenna at the 26.05. and today i think it will arive.

Today I extended it myself. works fine in air. Need to water test. Maybe tomorrow. Update. I have had the board out 2 times, the antenna extension I made is working perfect.

3 Likes

I just ordered some antenna extensions and I was wondering what’s in the black part at the end of the antenna, can we put this part in contact with the water?
Thank you

Shield : ground , probably doesn’t matter if a part of the wire is in the water as long as it is waterproof ( no cut )

Hi

I am not an antenna expert. I don’t know what is located in the black heat shrink bulb on the end of the extended antenna. But, like everything else… extreme measures must be taken to make things last in the marine environment.

I dipped mine in Conformal coating, let it dry then sealed the ends of the heat shrink with butyl rubber.

2 Likes

Under the black heatshrink is a aluminium cylinder which tapers at one end that is soldered to the ground sheath. I took one apart out of interest.

1 Like

Good to know! Thx!

:sunglasses::call_me_hand::desert_island::surfing_man::beers:

20 characters

Thank you very much for that clarification.

Update. I have had the board out 2 times, the antenna extension I made is working perfect.

2 Likes

Having the same issue on my Lift 5’0 board. I noticed mine does not have a hole in the front enclosure like @Flightjunkie (strange). I just ordered the 3 meter extension cable and will drill a hole into the front enclosure and go as far forward as I safely can. It sounds like the antenna will work through the carbon fiber? @Flightjunkie you agree?

I agree. My board is CF. It worked perfectly since I extended it.

Its not really hard to do yourself.

It sounds like an extended antenna will go through the CF which was a big concern for me. I was wondering if I was going to have to get a turtle/surface mount antenna! And I just realized 3 meters in 9 feet! lmao. I hope I didn’t over do it! Now to figure out how to drill and run an antenna all the way to the front of the board without doing too much damage.

Hi.

Yea. Strange your board doesn’t have the hole. It could be that the longer Lift boards don’t have the hole because they are larger, more buoyant, and are rarely under water so they don’t need it.

The 4’4" board I have is so short, it’s often mostly under water when starting, so having the antenna in the nose is needed.

You might want to try with the antenna just secured to the upper forward corner of the battery box. Maybe you won’t need to drill a hole. If you decide to drill a hole it should be pretty easy. About a 1/4" thick, then it’s just foam. Seal up the hole so you don’t get water in your board. I used butyl rubber.

Let us know!

P.S. my antenna is 120cm long. Perfect length.

#Aliexpress US $2.89 30%OFF | L250mm L400mm L600mm L1200mm FrSky 2.4G Receiver Antenna Futaba JR Hitec Flysky 2.4G Receiver 3DBi Copper Tube IPX13 Plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZU7TNv