Question about extending Maytech receiver antenna

I talked to Nick from Lift. He said it was just happenstance that you got a hole in the front and I didn’t. Do you know how far forward your hole goes? I wonder if part of the top of the board was fiberglass and not carbon fiber? You know? I dunno. I didn’t want to ask Nick since he was helping me out.

Happenstance? Sounds like he just doesn’t want to say.

My guess is the board you got either just didn’t have the hole drilled yet, because they sold it without internals, or the longer boards don’t have the antenna in the nose because it’s not needed.

Drilling a hole is easy. If you decide to do it, just pick a location and drill it. You’re really overthinking this. :rofl::call_me_hand:

Definitely overthinking it! Haha! I got friends telling me that 2.4Ghz and carbon fiber don’t play well together so I was thinking even with the hole drilled it would be a problem, but with your advice it sounds like it’s not! So I’ll drill and report back! Thanks bro!

1 Like

My experience is with the maytech remote and receiver. Your receiver looks like a different type?

I know the maytech is plenty strong to go through the carbon fiber lid with 100% signal strength.

:call_me_hand:

Carbon fiber with definitely reduce the range, but water or a aluminum box are much worse. I had to extend mine out (cheaper esk8 waterprooish remote) so it was completely out of the water when I am first starting.

1 Like

It sounds like the antenna under the carbon fiber will work once it’s forward enough above the water line. I don’t really need range other than the remote by my side! So I’ll report back when I’m up and flying! :grin:

Mine transmits through CF no problem.

Yeah mine was problematic because the entire enclosure was under water so it was not working. Running the antenna to the front of the nose of the board worked like a champ. I think it was more a challenge around the water line than the carbon fiber.

1 Like

How did you do it ? Drilling the box + silicone waterproofing plus then screening the wire under duck tape on the board deck till the board nose ?

I bought a 3/16-Inch 18" drill bit. I drilled through the plastic enclosure toward the front of the board. I believe I also drilled through something else solid I’ll call the “firewall” which was probably carbon fiber and then it was foam the rest of the way. I then tapped the plastic enclosure with a PG7 gland and had to put in a custom rubber grommet to squeeze down on the tiny gauge antenna wire. I also had to waterproof the antenna coaxial wire by putting heat shrink on all of exposed wire. Then ran it into the box which contained the Maytech receiver. So technically the antenna is still under carbon fiber on the top part of the board but it works like a champ!

3 Likes