Replacement FOIL brand ESC?

I have a getFOIL.com brand board that had water enter the motor pod and blow up the speed control. Get FOIL says that because the board was purchased from a previous owner they will not honor the warranty. I really don’t want to send the motor pod back to Get FOIL for them to replace the speed control. At this point I believe Get FOIL is not a company that I would trust and would rather not give them any more business. Does anyone recognize this speed control as a part that is available from a retailer other than Get FOIL?

A really sad news : as LIFT, a non transferable warranty…

This is the SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE remedy available to the original purchaser
during the warranty period for breach of this warranty. This warranty is
NON-TRANSFERABLE.

I don’t think any of the companies offer a transferable warranty.
No clue what eac that is, but I’d imagine you could use many different escs on the getfoil board as I don’t see a data connector.

Among the companies I know allowing transfer: xfoil,
I read the Fliteboard one was transferable and nothing so far says it is not.
Other brands ? Worth checking… Takuma, Sifly,

I started to disassemble the FOIL speed control with hopes of replacing the blown mosfets, but I can’t see any identification numbers on the good mosfets to know what to replace them with. I will probably end up sending the motor pod back to FOIL to have them replace the speed control. I hope they will replace it for a reasonable price as it is clearly a manufacturing defect that let water into the speed control portion of the motor pod and there was also a capacitor which was never correctly soldered to the speed control circuit board.

1 Like

I have an update to my FOIL speed control problem. After further communication with FOIL about this blown up speed control I decided to purchase a complete new “powertrain”. That is what FOIL calls their mast/speed control and motor assembly. My decision was based partly on the 1 year warranty that they offered on the new powertrain and they were also willing to sell me the “upgraded racing powertrain” for the price of their standard powertrain. Well less than 2 months after I spent $2500 on the new powertrain FOIL has gone out of business. One good thing about FOIL going out of business is that some of their suppliers are now willing to sell directly to the customers and people have been doing research on who those former suppliers are. Sunray Motion Technology in China made the ESC and motor assembly for FOIL and when I contacted them they were willing to sell me a replacement ESC and the machined aluminum enclosure that holds it in the pod on the mast. Shipping of the new ESC was super fast but it did have a couple of small issues that I should warn potential buyers about. The newest FOIL ESC enclosures were filled with epoxy potting material to keep water off of the ESC even if there was a leak in the silicone sealing the enclosure lid and wire entrances. I believe FOIL added this epoxy in house after receiving the ESCs from Sunray. The ESC enclosure that I received from Sunray had the lid siliconed on but there was no epoxy potting in it. There are holes on each end of the enclosure that are for filling the enclosure with epoxy. I would recommend filling the enclosure with some kind of potting compound and then using silicone or 3M 5200 to close up the fill holes. Also when I removed the ESC enclosure lid I found that one of the 3 phase motor wires was pinched and shorted to the enclosure. I am not sure what would have happened if the ESC was powered up with that wire shorted to the enclosure. If anyone else is looking for a replacement FOIL ESC feel free to send me a message and I will get you the email address of my contact with Sunray Motion Technology.

1 Like