Repurposed E-Bike Batteries?

Hi all: I’m a newbie on this forum and would just like to put an idea out there to tap into your collective wisdom. While I’m interested in e-foiling, as a first step I think I’d just like to build a simple propulsion system to power my SUP at a speed of about 5 to 10 kmh. I have an e-bike with a Bosch propulsion system. Since the battery seems to be the most expensive part of these systems it seems to make sense to repurpose that battery instead of buying or assembling a new one. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

My ebike setup that I can ride for hours on lasts about 25 minutes on the efoil. Also I think foiling at 5km is not realistic. I go over 10km an hour just pumping a manual foil off the dock.

Thanks for the reply. I actually don’t want to foil in the beginning - just push a normal SUP. Is your ebike setup one you put together or did you buy it off the shelf?

What is your ebike battery configuration?
Cell type?
BMS?
Output connector type?

Sorry I missed that message, foilmore. I have a Bosch Powerpack 2 for my ebike. Amps. All the specs I could find online are 36 V, 13.4 ampa. As I said, I’m new on this thread and I don’t really want to foil. I just want to use the battery that I already own to power a SUP so that I can travel against a current (river) at reasonable speeds. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I’m guessing that overheating might be an issue if the battery is placed in a waterproof housing.

Better go for packs that are from the scooters like niu or similar… They have much better BMS!

The point is that I already have this battery! I like the concept of having one battery to power several different tools/toys. Afterall, the battery is expensive and… you can only use one toy at at time so why do we need a battery for each?

I bought a scooter battery and put it in this efoil battery case…efoil battery box, battery case
. fitted perfectly and I run it without add. waterproof comparement. as I packed it on my wingboard, similar to the foil drive…or pwrfoil…
Works perfect and cheapest solution I can think of :wink: