Rewinding a broken Lift Motor

It’s pretty hard to see if the endplate is pressed in or if the even threaded in. I imagine it would be the most sensible option. Might be worth attacking the endplate first. That way I wouldn’t need to even remove the stator.

It will show on the connected wires if it’s threaded, then they are twisted 4-5 times. I think pressed makes more sense but obviously not really a serviceable solution… it’ll be interesting to see what happens if you heat the tube and cool the sideplate and give it a solid tap.

I set the building hair dryer to 300 degrees Celsius. I don’t know exactly to what temperature the housing heated up, but it was enough to make it impossible to hold it with my hand.

That would only need about 60-70 degrees…
At 150 you would hear your skin singe. 300 solder melts etc…

The wires aren’t that twisted, but even the rotor hitting them would twist them somewhat. I reckon bake it in the oven for a while and then use a press and apply some pressure… If it goes then awesome. Just not sure if the stator epoxy would be compromised after that…

I don’t hold the hair dryer at close range, I take it away - the temperature is lower, the heating area is larger.

So another interesting measurement…
The rear of the housing only seems to insert 3mm into the housing. This would almost make me believe it is a solid unit and not inserted. Even a 3mm long thread would not have nearly enough strength.
This is what it would look like:

Another option would be to just mill the back of the housing off. There’s easily enough space and no risk to the stator this way. Then design a new rear section and fit it in.

1 Like

Interested in how this one went?

It went onto a piece of paper (to absorb excess oil) on the workbench and has remained there for the last 5 months. My mill didn’t have the height to get the back off and the workshop is so cold that I haven’t bothered modifying the mill to give it the travel to complete the job.

In addition I’ve been messing about with a DIY foil drive and a new tool to remove nickel from used liion batteries.