Shorty 2 (Volker‘s third)

Some data i gathered.
Maybe not 100% acurate, but close….

Edit: added some numbers and adjusted to 172mm Pitch (187mm was wrong, sorry)

3 Likes

Dear Volker,

First of all, let me say Thank You for the effort you put into describing all your build steps, results, etc.

I have taken some days to read through all three of your iterations of eFoils. Now, I have some questions and would be really thankful, if you could answer them to me. I am planning on building two identical eFolis from me and my wife, although I might build one, learn from it and then build the second one much wiser :smiley:

As I have seen, in all builds you used RL Foils, that’s what I am also planning on doing. Q1: How did you order them? Through mail or website? What specifications need to be made to the manufacturer to get the foils you used or that you would recommend for a build like yours?

Regarding the motor, you started with “APS 80100”, then moved to “APS 63100”, both coated in epoxy by your own. For this build, you went with the famous “Flipsky 65161”. Q2: Was there a specific reason for this? What would you recommend for a new build? At the moment the prices I can find are: 80100:160 Euro, 63100:130 Euro and 65161:460 Euro (not including import tax, shipping and the new SS bearings needed for option 1&2). Hint: I am OK with fiddling around with epoxy. I have a good 3D printer to print custom props.

Regarding the VESC and Battery I am pretty confident to be able to select something reasonable, but I am interested Q3: where you ordered the “Vedder VESC6”?

Thanks in advance for the replies, greetings from Germany (near Stuttgart) (not that far away from you I suppose), Ludwig.

Order RL foils per mail. You can get his mail via dm @kiterr (René)
I recommend the old 2018 Efoil wing.
With the new fuselage (more surdy) and the sexy curved Backwing. It just looks nice, i cant spot any difference during riding.

80100 is no good choice in my opinion. Go cheap with 63100 or even 6384 .
If you want to ride saltwater, FR or 65161 may bei the longer lasting Solution. And not as noisy as the Outrunner.

Vedder esc’s can be ordered via trampaboards

And dont miss the German Community on Telegramm

2 Likes

And here is a shim for the new RL fuselage.
Print in PETG, 0.16 Layerhight.
Soften in hot water, printsteps facing to fuselage.

3 Likes

will shiming back wing also improve lift? I woild like little bit more lift and earlyer takeoff.

No, it doesn’t.
Anyway, the foil has enough lift, but its not the slowest Foil. If you want to go slower, you will need a bigger / other Wing.

RL 1600 is a good wing if you want to go slower. You can use the RL Fuselage and shimmed backwing with it.

2 questions:

1. How does the throttle work on the waterproofed remote?
  2. What does “shim the front of the back wing up” mean? The backwing sits under the fuselage correct?, so you are adding shims to front which angles the wing down? The goal of this is to decrease the angle of attack?

1 Same as before

2 fit in like shaped.
And in my opinion, you cant change the angle of Attack. It is a result of Speed and centre of gravity.
You change the EWD (Setting Angle Differenz?).

1 Like

Some minor changes on Prop.