Take-off speed survey, rider weight and equipment used

Hello, could you tell me the speed at which you start to rise out of the water without pumping?
weight without clothes?
FOIL: model, size.

Me with a 6384 + GONG CURVE XL + 12S, at 8km/h I don’t have the feeling of being close to the take off, and I want to probe the need to go to 15S

I know there are multiple variables, board, ability… but I would like to know your experience

thank you

@KLAUSMOLLERZIP

You have posted several times the speed
of 8km/h.

Is this the maximum speed you can achieve?

I know this doesn’t answer your survey question but you certainly don’t need 15s to takeoff with gong xl wing, it’s already a slow speed/high lift wing.

There could be multiple reasons that it doesn’t lift, examples being:
Too high angle of attack for wing (=board angle/nose too high up during starts)
Too small board or too high weight
Battery that can’t supply enough current
ESC that can’t supply enough current
Poor ESC/motor matching
Wrong esc settings
Wrong propeller (pitch and/or diameter)
Wrong remote settings

How does everyone measure one’s speed ?

Normally a logging app and gps or even live checking your phone.

Takeoff speed is relative to the foil wing stall speed. Some wings will take off as low at 8kph. The slowest foils I’ve used take off at about 10kph.

Even off the foil your setup should be able to get you up to 20kph if it is set up correctly. I assume your speed controller is not set correctly and the motor as a result will not get enough torque to get you faster.

Hello, the Flipsky Vx3 controller shows the speed

Yes, there are too many parameters to take into account. In a few weeks I’ll be back in the water and I’ll try to configure everything better.

I correct I don’t have 12S, I have 10S

the propeller is:

Yes, that is my maximum speed and even if I pump (I don’t have much experience pumping) I can’t get off the water

At least you can tick off some points from the possible root cause list:

Large enough wing
Efoil dedicated propeller with OK dia and pitch
Proven motor size (depends on manufacturer and kV though)
Enough voltage (depends on motor kV though)

Some items remain:

• Too high angle of attack for wing (=board angle/nose too high up during starts)
  • Too small board (or too high weight)
  • Battery that can’t supply enough current
  • ESC that can’t supply enough current (assume 100-150A needed for takeoff with 100-120kV motor)
  • Poor ESC/motor matching (which ESC?)
  • Wrong esc settings (how much current is set for battery and motor? Do you reach full rpm with no load?)
  • Wrong remote settings or pairing (do you reach full rpm at full throttle with no load?

I see you have some posts on VESCs, if that’s what you are using then you could check current and rpm during full throttle to see if the system is putting out what it should.

2 Likes