TecnoFly - DIY Remote

Hi everybody,
my name is Roberto from Italy. After more than one year of developing in electronic solution and software I have reached a good device of remote controller for my foil drive assist system.
Now I want to share my project to extend the work to others on the philosophy that the improvements never end. Collaborators and builders are welcome.
Features:

• Ergonomic case in 4 parts by 3d printing diy
  • Display OLed 1.5 inch
  • Wireless communication at 2.4GHz and 433MHz (dual Band)
  • Firmware upgradable by server (WiFi)
  • Recording VESC data of last 10 ride in the internal memory of the receiver txt and json files
  • WiFi hot spot of the receiver to analize data and setting
  • Vibration alarm for battery low
  • Plastic bearings on trigger for precision control
  • Integrated battery 18650 2200mAh (10 hours)
  • Wireless charging system
  • Trigger’s spring interchangeable
    Most important problem of a radio remote is to work in the water. I tryed to send the trigger data in parallel on two different frequency channels with different modules. The result is that the 433MHz helps but there are two different antennas to place.
    The assembly of moduls is not very hard, at moment is not available a main PCB.
    What is really important in the building is the coating and filling with epoxy resin of the entire body of the controller and the display in the top pannel to be waterproof
    Regarding the receiver board I coating by resin it with the VESC in the box
    link:
    www.foilassistproject.com
    GitHub - assiro/foil-assist-controller: Radi controller for foil assist system
    Remote Controller Foil Assist - Google Sheets
6 Likes

6 Likes

Schematics with LoRa Module at 433MHz

3 Likes

Solution easy without LoRa. The firmware is the same

9 Likes

Wow, nice project you have shared. Will look into it more.
What information is presented on the screen of the remote?

Hi,
on the screen of the display you can read:
during the ride:

• percentage of battery
  • Power consuption in watt
  • percentage of throttle
    with small caracters in rotation:
  • average of power
  • total time of ride
  • motoring time in the ride
  • power index (index of rider performance)

After riding (no throttle pressed for 2 min.)

• total time of ride
  • motoring time
  • battery voltage
  • power index
  • average of power

In the receiver there are many datas to show. The receiver generates an wifi hot spot where is possible to see the web pager by a browser… but after rides

In the video below you can see the controller working

1 Like

Using TecnoFly remote controller during a take off…

2 Likes

I already printed the parts, when will you be able to provide the parts list? I am keen to build it

Partslist is already posted in 1st post!

See:

3 Likes

Like Kian replies, the part list is in my cloud

Very nice project, sent you some comments on Instagram.
Low frequency lora improves the signal underwater ?

With the “simple” version, any way to make it work directly with a vesc that has built in bluetooth ?

Hi,
yes LoRa improves the behavior of the communication in the use of the system in the water.
But, I suggest the first time to use the easy circuit with the ESP only. More easy to assembly and works fine any way
Basically the most important point is a good antenna at 2.4GHz.
On the SD card of the receiver is also stored if the signals (LoRa and ESPNOW) are lost.
The connection with VESC is serial uart only by wire

1 Like

Noted, I am really looking for ways to connect directly to vesc BT such as you are able to do with the phone.

Concerning the setting phase you can connect to the VESC by USB or BT with the vesc tool software.
The control of the motor (by PPM) and the managing of the data during the use is different. This is what the receiver does

Yes, but you Can also directly start and stop the vesc from the phone BT and use the phone as a remote. So probably the remote could skip the receiver alltogether for a vesc with built in BT

The receiver board takes care about the managing of entire motoring system, not only the communication with vesc.
My approach in the remote project was to controll the VESC by PPM signal (direct control) and stop the motor (with delay) if the radio connection is lost due the water. This is at the base of the safety of this system
The remote control firmware analyzes the data during the ride to give you more informations that the vesc has (status of battery, alarms and more)

1 Like

Printed your parts, will use all you prepared for battery, sensor, screen and charger, and will try to make SW to connect direct to VESC BT. If that does not work, I will test your software. Thanks for sharing!

Just checked out insta and gave you a follow.

This is a really exciting project, I just finished building a Gen2 FD type system but I am using the bremote controller which I love but I am having connectivity issues since the whole unit is under water. Every time I accelerate and start getting to my knees it failsafes and I go flying over the nose. I was planning to use a U.FL to SMA connector and to just run an antenna all the way up to the nose on the deck.

Your project might solve this problem without needing to do all that because of the 433mhz.

Would your system be compatible with a normal Blheli_32 ESC connected with just GND, 5V & SRV? The only other function that would be kinda necessary is VBat analog reading for the foil bat.