Tobi's build from Berlin V3 & V4

They didn’t push the activity forward as they announced they would but I think Supernova tried a circular takeoff method in 2020. Not sure they succeeded though…

Thanks for answer!

There latchds ar eo expensive, almost 90$ for 1. For this money you could get Gem latche, but I am not from US. They dont have any resellers in Europe.
But thanks for glams, I thought they were much more expensive.

Do you have any pictures, how you reinforced the foil part, where where mast plate connects to board. And how did you seal the cables in order for them to be removable.

Thank you and BR

You can find this information in the original post!

“Because this board was thick enough i didn’t have to mill until the bottom laminate and was able to use the track box and leave the FCS handle.
To support the track box i laminated a sandwich of 2 CF sheets of 1mm each over the bottom of the board.”

On all the cables I’ve used waterproof amphenol plugs to make them removable. But I warn you, they are also expensive. :wink:

Yes for connectors I know, I have 3x 5.7mm, and I am waiting on 2 8mm ones.

Hey Tobi,
Have you testet your small battery already? Im curious on what ride times you can achieve.
Maybe it is beneficial to go with two smaller batteries instead of a single larger one. That way you could have the options for a lightweight setup or you could wire them in parallel to mimic a larger battery :smiley:
Charging time would be reduced as well, however you would need double the amount of expensive connectors, BMS, battery box etc.
Would like to hear your opinion :smiley:

1 Like

Hey tacktun,

Yes I’ve tried the new battery. And it’s so good that I’m already building a second one.

The use case is specific for short rides or lighter people. I’ve achieved a total ride time of 35 mins with lots of starts and a smaller wing. I guess it could also last 40-45 mins on a bigger wing and slower speeds.

Overall I’m really happy with the reduction of swing weight, especially on the small 3’11 board.
It feels a lot more carvy and reactive.

Here is a video using the nano battery:

Normally I’m doing longer rides where I appreciate the 52Ah battery. It gives almost 2h of ride time. But now in winter I’m happy with shorter rides and more agility.

I was also thinking about the modular solution with 2 packs in parallel. But I have so many batteries already that it’s not really necessary. But if I would start to build new i would definitely go the modular path!

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.
Im really impressed by your battery design and will probably build a similar one.
One of the extra connectors is for charging? And are these pressure compensation valves neccessary?

1 Like

Thanks for your compliment.
I have 2 plus poles on most batteries cause I run a bigger MGM 25063-3 ESC in some of my boards, which requires an antispark connector.

In a “charge only BMS” case I would need a second minus pole. I have to say though, I’m quite happy to monitor the cells while discharge too. My Samsung 30Q pack for example started drifting like crazy after 1,5 years of use.
These pressure valves are not really necessary I found. I used them on the first 2 batteries to make sure if cells start to degas, it can escape.

Here’s how the nano battery looks in the board:

4 Likes