Torqeedo 801 outboard motor conversion?

Guys. My dad remembered that he still had an old Torqeedo 801 travel.
He gave it to me to play with :slight_smile:

data:

Input power in watts: 800
Rated power in volts: 29.6
Final charge in volts: 33.6
Propulsive power in watts: 350
Maximum overall efficiency in %: 44%
Static thrust in kf (lbf): 31 (68)
Total weight in kg (lbs): 11.6 (25.5)
Motor weight without battery kg (lbs): 8.1 (17.8)
Integrated battery weight in kg (lbs): 3.5 (7.7)
Maximum shaft length in cm (inch): 59 (23)
Integrated battery: 300 Wh LIMA
Propeller dimensions in inches: 12 x 10
Propeller speed in rpm max.: max. 720
Stepless drive forwards/reverse: yes
Additionally preset speeds yes

The motor is the core of a boat drive. With its torque motors, Torqeedo sets new standards in the areas of torque, efficiency and power per weight and volume. The motor which equips the Travel 801 with the effective power of a 2 HP combustion engine only weighs 500 g and is no larger than a packet of cigarettes.

In the case of a torque motor, the objective of the design is to use as many factors as possible to maximize the torque. Torqeedo has uncompromisingly optimized the torque motor and, with the introduction of synchronous motors, which come as permanent excited magnet, electronically commutated and designed as external rotor motors, has created true torque giants.

However, that is not all: The use of high-tech materials further improves the performance parameters of the Torqeedo torque motors: a Torqeedo motor, such as that used in the Travel 801 model, uses rare earth magnets instead of hexaferrites.
Altogether, it exceeds a conventional internal rotor motor by 24-fold torque – although it is the same size. Combined with a 1:14 step-down gear, the 800-watt motor can easily drive a propeller typically used by a 20 HP combustion engine.

The Torqeedo motors also take on a new dimension with regard to efficiency. They experience no excitation current and brush losses: and are equipped with additional, patented control mechanisms, reducing losses to a minimum. The efficiency not only ensures the efficient use of the available battery capacity – it also prevents thermal problems. In this way, Torqeedo can combine high performance with a small structural shape.

The batteries (Li-Ion) are unfortunately dead…
Do you guys think that the motor (and maybe even the shaft) are usable for a foiling board?

Not my video, but this is it in action.
At the end the end you see the person using it on a small boat.

Worth the shot with a gong xl wing and change the propeller to the 2 blades one

It will be slow , but I think you can fly , if it works , you will want more speed so another build ( money and time ) so have this in mind

Thank you for the info.

I am going to take things apart tomorrow, and have a look what is inside, and usable.

And… For speed I will use my jet board :slight_smile:

50mm outrunner and neugart gear ( 4:1 ?) is include there
Greetings Frank

is that good or bad ?

it is good material , but for efoil … i don´t know…
test it
Greetings Frank

a lot of restlessness in the water with the quadrofoil who is foiling, does not look effective?
Greetings Frank

Have you managed to move on with the project?
I have exactly the same motor and the same idea.
Currently, I’m trying to open the motor enclosure and I’m stuck at the nose cone.
Any ideas on how to open it?

No. We gave up on this idea as the motor is not powerful enough to get up on foil.