Valhalla’s Tow Boogie & eBuild

Another topic I wanted to discuss was remote signal penetration and distance.

Currently using the maytech remote and able to have reliable signal from 3 car lengths away. So about 50-60 feet (15m?). I don’t think I’ll ever have the rope that long as my turning radius even in open ocean would be huge.

Also I’ve made statements of why not use a 75mHz band for transmitter and receiver in our application. Well now I see it as a safety feature. Whenever I go down the signal always cuts out which about 1.5sec later stops the motor. Nice knowing the boogie is less likely to just do a runaway when I let go of the tow rope.

1 Like

I had that in mind too but controlled by a remote with a nunchuck style so that I can abandon the boogie as soon as I’ve caught a wave (not so busy spot). Then, at the shore, I would call and control my boogie with the joystick to come and pick me up. Next feature: in the surf, my boogie following me as a dog(gy) a bit like an airdog somehow…
https://usafe-global.com/
u-safe

1 Like

Yeah that’s basically what I was thinking bc when I was just letting go of the tow rope it would just sit tight where it was. As long as I let it go where I want it aimed and let off throttle it’ll be pointed to where I’d end up.

1 Like

No, this is a few miles south.

This is a good argument against one of my ideas. I’d offer that simplifying this with a wired remote running through the poly tow line is a good idea.

In the future, sure you’ll want to drive it remotely. But for now all sorts of waterproof cat5 wiring exists. Something to consider. And by the time the autonomous mode is ready the remotes will be better.

Also, a whip antenna with a flag is good for reception and safety. This would be pretty easy to run over with a boat without seeing it at all.

But I’m a fan. The Tow Boogie is next level.

2 Likes

I’m a fan! Totally gonna try this! Are the two batteries in parallel? You get about an hour of run time? Liking the motor pod mount too!

Or you can just use Arduboat and make the boogie follow you with a GPS tracker. You could even pre-program some specific tow routes…

1 Like

Not sure how I feel about GPS. When I flew drones or even tracking on the VESC I always have issues connecting to satellites or bad coordinates. But if you guys remember the solo shot camera I was thinking of using technology like that tracks you via a medallion. So when you let you’d switch it on so it will adjust its position to point at you. Once you’re ready for pickup just give it throttle and it ll adjust the rudder to your position.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s called GPS :wink: Both the tag and camera have a GPS…
Exactly how Ardupilot works

Huh always thought it was a beacon or something. Okay I stand corrected haha.

Using GPS is more accurate than DSP until the GPS goes walkabout. But you could always prevent that with an out-of-range function. Ultimately you could always keep the boogie within a 20m radius otherwise cut the throttle. There will be a fair amount of work involved in setting it all up though.

That’s why I prefer to use winches over both tow-boogies and bungies.

1 Like

This rotary position sensor is IP69K rated and uses an AmpSeal IP67 rated connector system. Combined with a few 3D printed parts, this could be good for a wired trigger style remote mounted on the handle. My only concern if this is a spring return trigger would be if the spring breaks and the tow vehicle drove off into the horizon.

1 Like

That would actually complicate things quite a bit. There is flex in a tow rope which won’t exist in the wire.
A wireless remote is actually really easy to adapt to the handle if you want it there.

Exactly, best signal strength and best visibility for boats and other surfers.
In waves, an anti-rollover system might be needed. Has anybody seen how an inflatable “Go Joe” from Ocean Rodeo work ? It forces the board right side up, and catches the wind so the board slowly travels downwind for you (not necessarily an advantage during off-shore windy days). And you can see the board !!

And because we are on a DiY forum, there is a 10usd inner tube alternative (wheelbarrow, golf cart, lawn mower, …):

All this boogie talk when you can just use the efoil you already have… Damien LeRoy on Instagram: "The future yes or no? 😲 YouTube video coming soon💯 @liftfoils . . . . . . . . #reels #viral #sendit #saltlife #beachday #flight #future #foil #sports #actionsports #cabrinhateam #cabrinhakites #florida #instagood #gopro360 #videooftheday #trending #towsurf #efoil #watersports #trending #instagram @instagram"

I thought about this also. we have lots of waydoo boards with missing front wing. Alternative use

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: poor Waydoo owners

On one of his videos, he shows he needs two trolleys to transport his efoil stuff. Not surprised by his current quest for lightness + simplicity + ease of transport = more pleasure.
This practice paves the way for minimalist boards (kiteboard / boogie style) so it should attract a new population owning 3kg carbon foils. Not so long ago, you opened a contest, there we are :wink:
The right motor could also pull two foils with a joystick remote…

On a side note, it develops shoulders and abs too ! Efoil tends to melt it all away… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

good day, is their an electrical schematic anyone could share? super cool project, might try to build one for the great lakes. at least no salt in the water to deal with. its on the roads…

Had a fantastic session this morning. Practiced pumps for a good while until my legs gave out. I broke two motor pins though. Anyone have any leads on getting strong stainless steel pins? I’ll try to get some video of some around the worlds I’ve been doing.

Also speaking of simplicity I’m going to see how small of a board I can go. I’ve been using my surf foil board but this weekend will try my kite foil board.
Dimensions are 34” x 18” x 0.5”. Also been having good success with the race max prop. Current draw is about 60amps