Very Slow Build from Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello, this will be a very slow build due to time constraints, but I have made enough progress to start sharing and to ask advice…

So, this is a large jetboard for cruising out the back on the larger waves which aren’t breaking. It’s a big, buoyant aircraft carrier. I weigh 100kg and the total buoancy is 175kg. The board should weigh around 30kg. The important bits are;

2 x MHZ 58 jet units
2 x Scorpion HK-5035/760KV
2 x MakerX 300A VESCs
2 x 10S 12P battery packs

I am running dual systems as everything just gets too big (cables, VESCs, etc) with a single drive. As well, I like the reliability of two completely independent (almost) systems.

I will be running water cooling for the Scorpions and potentially for the battery packs.

Here is an overview of the design to date;

I will go into more detail on the design later.

I have just completed a test build of the electronics so that I can develop the sofwtare to run two systems from a single remote.

I have successfully run the VESC motor configuration tool on both motors and VESCs. The issue I have is that when I throttle up slowly, they run smoothly. If I throttle quickly, they vibrate badly as they ramp up. See video here;

Notice one of the VESCs goes into a fault mode.

Has anyone else faced this issue? I would imagine I now have to do some fine tuning in the motor configuration to smooth out the ramp up.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Looking forward to your build.

To me the power wires to the vesc look really thin!
Will you be replacing them when done testing?

:grin:

Yep, they are only temporary for the test bench. Will be running 4AWG from each battery.

1 Like