Vesc 75200 reliability issues

Hi guys
Wondering about your experience with the vesc75200 aluminum heat sink model.
There are few seller in alibaba with different pricing some regular some pro version.
Are they any good reasonably reliable?

I Purchased few marketbase vesc 75200 on AliExpress 3d moduls store for $100 a unit.
Very affordable.
seems like other sellers are offering the same model for double the price .are they really the same model and quality?
I am running small jet body board’s with 4000w 85100 out runners running it around 80amp at 58v. Making sure that the motor are not overheating
After few months or weeks some of the vesc just frying with out warning.most suffer IC and MOSFETs damage and other capacitors burned as well.
Is there a way to minimize this ?
I am using the 5.2 firmware i heard its more stable then the 5.3 version.

Was trying also the more expensive red waterproof water cooled flier 400 and same issues they don’t last long even though they supposed to be able to handle 200A
Was wondering if there is a solution for that :)?

What is your cooling setup? Heat kills.

1 Like

Hi there
Thanks for the quick response
I run 58v 80 amp so was thinking i am not challenging the board but upgraded the cooling

I run water through aluminum cooling block attached with thermal paste and epoxy around to the aluminum heat sink

heat sink

Have you watched your ESC temperature or logged any data? That should help answer the heat build up question pretty definitively.
I do wonder if that cooling block is really enough for how hard you push the ESC (jet body board?). You have it pressed against the fins of the ESC case and probably only have 50% metal on metal contact that’s doing most of the heat removal. The space between the fins with thermal paste probably doesn’t do much and I don’t think thermal paste is meant for spaces that large. Then you have the rest of the fins just relying on air cooling.
You could try putting the ESC housing onto a CNC mill and cut off all the fins to leave a flat surface.

Hi Roger

Really you think the overheating is the problem not bad quality units?
Its actually reassuring news
But i assume running this unit on 80amp meaning it not even really need the water cooling but it added the water cooling as in additional to be safe.
If that is the case its relatively quite easy fix

And No i dont have way to log in to the temperature and i didn’t check the esc tem for a while because I assumed its its working under safe medium loads .
But i will start touching the aluminum heat sink after use and try to see if its getting hot

VESC tools app for phone has a log creation ability. Put the phone onboard and then review the file. It will show temp along with lots of other data. The Flipsky VX3 remote also shows temp but does not create a log

I run a flipsky 75200 water cooled version bolted to the top of the aluminum mast like flite does using passive cooling. It never gets past barely warm. Better figure out how to measure the temps or I suspect you will kill more units.