VESC Tool thread - how to program

Hi,

It’ s the first time I use a vesc. I have a maytech MTSVESC7.5H 300A 400A 85V.
Do you know which firmware I need to choose to upgrade correctly my vesc ?
Thanks to your help.

Hello All,

I have had this thread bookmarked for months and finally am testing the Flipsky VX3 remote with the FSESC 75200. I followed the initial setup first posted with motor type BLDC and have success using the tools experiments mode. My problem is similar to others that the remote only operates at a duty of 0.00% or ~43%. Before I post any pictures of my configuration, has anyone solved this problem previously?

I look forward to contributing to this forum and really appreciate @HighAltitude for creating this thread.

Hello, I have the same symptoms as @philippe . My configuration is Flipsky 120 kv / 12s12p / VESC RAIDEN 7 / remote control Flipsky VX3.
The acceleration on the dyno is not progressive, I go to 100% acceleration only when the trigger is pulled at 10%… have you been able to solve this problem?
Or is it just from working on the dyno?
:thinking:
Thanks

1 Like

If your are in current control mode, you’ll max out duty cycle before current can go to the commanded amount if you are running in the air. For a test set motor current to 5 amp and try again.

3 Likes

Indeed by setting the motor curent max at 5A I have a progressive acceleration with a peak at 15000 rpm.

Being more comfortable with carbon fiber than programming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what exactly does that mean! The fact that at 5 A the acceleration is progressive but not at 130 A …

1 Like

It means the vesc keeps a constant current between 0 to max current. This works in the water where the current gets up because of the load. In the air without load, the current only gets to 3 or so amps, therefore it’s running full speed with only 10% of the trigger pulled. Switch over to duty cycle for bench tests and use current control on the water. I prefer current control as current is proportional to thrust, so you regulate thrust instead of rpm.

12 Likes

Thank you for this very clear explanation

Here are the parameters I entered in the RAIDEN 7 (Continuous current 140 A , Boost 250 A ), can you tell me if this is consistent or not.
As a reminder: 12s12p ( Sony VTC6 3000 mah), 55161 Flipsky.
Thanks

1 Like

Hello
Manu
Your setup works, have you tried it in the water? Because for my part, with the same engine, vesc75 / 200 and vx3 remote control, it works perfectly in the air, but as soon as I am in the water my engine cuts out at around 15 A then restarts but I cannot mount the engine in the towers, I don’t understand

1 Like

Sorry, I have been working on this same exact problem for 2 days. I hate to ask, but what is the actual solution to zaja.cz 's first video? They just say “So I changed the settings and did the firmware and it’s OK.” But I have changed a crapload of settings over the past 2 days without any resolution to my identical issue.

What “settings” were changed to resolve this irraddic motor movement at <50% throttle followed by one fast speed at >50% throttle? I can post a video but it tis the same as zaja.cz’s 3 minute video.

Thanks for taking the time to resolve my major problem.
Todd

Hi. I made a newer firmware, then changed the motor setting from BLDC to FOC and set the Duty Cycle mode when calibrating the controller. (I had PID NO Reverse set before)

just these three changes: firmware, FOC and Duty cycle
Lucas

1 Like

It means Flipsky VESC. RTFM ^^ (It’s writed in the VX3 manual)

Alright, so I had tried all of that stuff before, but and re-did all of this again, and didn’t have any luck still. However after another 3 hours this morning of trying other things in this forum, the one thing that appears to have fixed it was that I simply changed the exponential to 40% Now it works perfect! I don’t believe that I made any other changes in between tests, but I am ecstatic with joy right now!! I ended up using 3.00 firmware, but had tried 2.06 and 3.10. Lastly I am using the MakerX 75300 clone ( HI200-C V2.2b ), but I only tried the 3.10 firmware briefly this week AFTER I had read all of the warnings about the issue.

Anyway, a huge thank you to all of you contributors to this forum. It is already Sunday afternoon here in Michigan (U.S.) so I won’t end up getting a water test done this weekend. But EVERYTHING else is now complete with my first E-foil project. Thanks again!

1 Like

It’s funny because I also have solved the problem today ! Yesterday I tried for the first time my board and couldn’t get it to fly =(.
I was flat on watter at 6kph… sad. The characteristics => ( Battery :12S20P 46V, Board: 30Kg, Wing 1500cm², my weight : 50Kg, flipsky 65161 | 120Kv with stock white alu propeller, Vsx3 remote, Vesc 200A ). I was only able to pull 30Amp and ≈ 1400Watt. I had a hard time finding out where does the problem could come from.
I searched around the lack of power because the motor is rated to 6000W and my ESC could give 200A.

FIX : 1 : I flashed my VESC with the firmware without hardware limitations. You have to check this box.

2 : I set my maximum duty cycle from 95 to 99%, allow my ERPM to pass from 12500 to 15000.
3 : I set the Motor current max to 150Amp, Absolute maximum current to 400A, Battery Current max to 100Amp.

Hope that can help you guys like you helped me =). I passed from 30A | 1400W to 100A | ≈5000W !!!
Sans titre2

And the max bat AMP is the value 100 AMP x 50 volt =5000watt …the 400 A for motor absolu max curent no necessary don’t have a pik at 20000 watt🔥

1 Like

Better put absolute max to 180-200A (1.2xmax A) not 420A, this can destroy vour vesc and or motor. For the duty cycle it is not recommended to put it above 95%, as there needs to be a margin to measure the current. As for the “no limmit fw” it depends on your vesc HW. If you can set max current above 120A, you don’t need it. Chinese 75200 clones run 75300FW, there is no built in current limmit in FW. For Vesc6 12S variants you need it if you want to set max current above 120A.

3 Likes

Ok thank you sniper and sat_be, I will reconsider the 420A and the 99%…

1 Like

I did a static test in a pool today !

I have now a new problem… At full power 4000W / motor 150A, battery 100A, the esc get to 75°C in 2 minutes and the power start to decrease according to temperature rules in vESC tool… Is it normal ? Also I saw that the duty cycle was only to 75% when I had the trigger all in.

Settings Max motor is 150A, max battery is 100A.
Maybe the motor current block the duty cycle ?

My esc is water-cooled with a descent amount of water coming out. I noticed that the case of the vesc even at 75° was cold. The water jet was also cold.

There some air bubbles in my pipes, maybe it’s the problem. Or the flipscy mosFETS are nots well screwed to the aluminum case and don’t transmit the heat to the water?

What esc are you using? 75200 with watercooling? Default setup for reducing the current is 85 degrees, 75 Degrees is still ok. Normally, you only get 150A motor current for takeoff, or if you run full speed. Could be an issue with your cooling. I run a makerX 75200 on a heat sink built into the board. After 10min @33km/h (67A battery current, 110 A motor current, vesc temp gets close to 70 degrees which is still OK.

Maybe it’s because the board wasn’t moving.
It’s the flipsky 60V 200A. So you think also that the problem come from the water-cooling. I was also thinking about some ESC configuration problem with torque or something like that. But ok I will try to better cool it.

If I can’t resolve the problem I will try it in real environment to see if it cause some issue while riding. As you tell me that the power is not too high while cruising.

But I always don’t understand why at 100A (bat) the vesc overheat because it’s a 200A vESC 🥲.