VESC Tool thread - how to program

100% duty , no foc mode , less current control, timing , switching frequency … may end up with a higher rpm off load .
Pretty close to given kv with vesc
Most of the time current control over the battery and or motor will end up with less power for start

For sure my 75/300 is less punchy than my hifei esc but I don’t want to burn everything again ( got 250A pics on start on 8s…)

1 Like

Most of those other ESCs are using trapezoidal control for the motor. Basically they watch for when you get a voltage spike when it passes a pole and turn on the right coil to kick it further along (back-emf). Way easier to get setup and doesn’t require motor tuning. Nosier and less efficient then FOC.

VESC in addition, have the FOC option which does some math to figure exactly where the stator is on the motor so it can drive much more efficiently. I though I read on some loss of top end power, but can’t seem to find that now. On top of that, If you are using a 12s max DRV based VESC I would be hesitant to push duty cycle much above the 95%, but that is just a guess based on what I have seen online… There is no reason you can’t FOC at 100% duty, but seems to be a VESC limitation.

Not sure if running the VESC in trapezoidal mode (BLDC in the tool) gets around that, so you can hit 100%?

1 Like

thank you for the info,

We had a quick go with BLDC but it looks like the vesc crashes, and than restarts. (usb connection gets disconnected, and reconnected, and motor stops responding until power down and up again).

We will reset everything here again, and try again later today.

Will keep you updated.,

Hello i have the same problem this last summer. With bldc and current control Vesc shutdown and reset like a hard reset After Big ampli failsafe…motor just starting and cut off early… with foc it’s cool but not enough power for starting to foil early…i Can foil but need to have speed on water and power increase slowly …
So this weekend i test setting with bluetooth on french fresh water and set the 99 amps batteries to 150 Amps and it’s this parameter who was choose by the wizard who was not enought…i set the AMP motor first but when i set the batterie AMP up yeah my Gear have better power we need to do a vidéo to explain this for Vesc user!

2 Likes

re: video to explain this for Vesc user

So true. I do not think that if a user never used another ESC than a VESC they do not know.
It is so much different!

1 Like

Im hoping one of you experienced VESC user might be able to help me.

Ive setup a FR motor on the motor wizard on the VESC tool and everything is working fine,but I have no voltage telemetry on my VX3 remote. Its showing Amps fine. :thinking:

VESC6+

EDIT: Sorted. Changed VX3 remote setting from VESC to FSVESC, whatever that means.

I do the same and it works.

I asked me also what is the difference between VESC and FSESC mode :thinking:

Why is it better to use BLDC over FOC?

I have hgltech 75/200 (HI200) with FS 65161 100 kv and FOC is very smooth. Tried it only on lab power supply with 30V and no load.

I couldn’t get FOC to program initially. Once I had it programmed I switched to FOC as I could get a few hundred extra RPM’s. It was possibly a glitch in an older version of the VESC tool.

Hello
Does anyone know the number of poles on 80 100/130KV motors, in advance thank you

My motor bogs and cuts out at half throttle. Did you ever figure this out? I wonder if there is a current limit or sag that cuts me off at 53% throttle.

Yeah, flipsky said their first batch wouldn’t work properly because of incorrect resistors so they changed the units for us.

Ok guess I gotta change mine out. It was shipped in December of 2020. Do you know when the “recall” was?

are those settings working under load too?
Did you made a run on it?
KR and thx

HI. We did not test it under load as the board is not ready yet.

Hi guys, I have a problem with setting the VESC program for the Fkipsky 65161 100kv motor, the controller is Flipsky FSESC 200A 60V ESC, battery 12S lipo 22Ah. When setting the BLDC engine, the engine is restless and noisy at low speeds, when changing to FOC it is calmer, but it does not turn immediately - I have to give more throttle. (I shot everything in the video below) Please advise what’s wrong

1 Like

So I changed the settings and did the firmware and it’s OK.

I set the remote control to current control.

1 Like

Nice looking remote, is that one you’ve made yourself?.

I have currently the same issue… Did you resolve this?

@zaja.cz, what settings did you use? Could you share some screenshots?

So my setup, 14s12p, 75200 water-cooled ( bought 3 may '21, Banggood), with 100kv 65161. So did everything according to opening post, and seems to run fine in air (no load). Jitters a bit under 11% though.

I went in the water, but if I pull more than 55%-60% throttle, it start to skip steps (bogging) Like erpm is bypassing real rpm. Tried a smaller prop (to give less load), same effect…

Could anyone help with a correct direction?

Thanks in advance!