Vescdash standalone garmin app

I recently found this great newish app for getting stats from the VESC over ble during a session and recording some logging. Looks like it organically was for some EUCs, but he ported over to work with VESCs as well. You need one of the more recent watches to use it though. (I pushed a change to make it work with vivoactive 4s screen size)

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0432631a-d5e3-4272-a072-fa8c7e24c483

It pushes a bunch of stats up to garmin connect, check out my session here.

It disconnected and reconnect all the time automatically during the ride.

When I redid my VESC, I attached the BLE module instead of uart for the remote RX (only one uart on radian 7). So no voltage display on my flipsky, but I can use my watch… and I can still change settings since I have the VESC all potted now.

4 Likes

Wow! I already use my Garmin watch for speed and tracking while I’m on the water. Never thought about getting data right off the vesc onto the watch. Excited to give it a try. Does this load into the Garmin Connect app to like regular activities? (Edit: nevermind, now I see the link you added that goes right into the Garmin app on my phone, looks good!)

1 Like

Yes sure does! Impressed with it so far!

This is one of the most epic things in a while! Thanks.

The link to the app is not working though, I assume that’s how I’m meant to install it?

For me the link worked, but I’m on an iPhone and it took me into the Garmin ConnectIQ app (which is separate from regular Garmin Connect app). From the app I clicked “Install” and it sent the app to my Garmin watch. You could also go right to Garmin Connect App Store and search for “VescDash”

Yeah let’s me try a different link. Connect IQ Store | Free Watch Faces and Apps | Garmin

Otherwise I had to search for vescdash from the connect IQ store. If your watch doesn’t support it, it won’t show up in from the mobile app, but the web page might still work

https://apps.garmin.com/apps/0432631a-d5e3-4272-a072-fa8c7e24c483?tid=0

Edit: both links try to redirect to the Android app store when I link on them instead of the web site that lets you view all incompatible apps

https://apps.garmin.com

Here are the current compatible ones:

Approach® S70 (42mm)
Approach® S70 (42mm)
Approach® S70 (47mm)
Approach® S70 (47mm)
D2™ Air
D2™ Air
D2™ Air X10
D2™ Air X10
D2™ Mach 1
D2™ Mach 1
D2™ Mach 1 Pro
D2™ Mach 1 Pro
Darth Vader™
Darth Vader™
Descent™ G1
Descent™ G1, Descent™ G1 Solar, Descent™ G1 Solar - Ocean Edition
Descent™ MK2
Descent™ MK2, Descent™MK2i
Descent™ MK3 (43mm)
Descent™ MK3 (43mm)
Descent™ MK3 (51mm)
Descent™ MK3 (51mm)
Descent™ Mk2S
Descent™ Mk2S
Edge® Explore 2
Edge® Explore 2
Enduro™
Enduro™
Enduro™ 2
Enduro™ 2
First Avenger
First Avenger
Forerunner® 245
Forerunner® 245
Forerunner® 245 Music
Forerunner® 245 Music
Forerunner® 255
Forerunner® 255
Forerunner® 255 Music
Forerunner® 255 Music
Forerunner® 265
Forerunner® 265
Forerunner® 265S
Forerunner® 265S
Forerunner® 745
Forerunner® 745
Forerunner® 945
Forerunner® 945
Forerunner® 945 LTE
Forerunner® 945 LTE
Forerunner® 955
Forerunner® 955, Forerunner® 955 Solar
Forerunner® 965
Forerunner® 965
MARQ® (Gen 2)
MARQ® (Gen 2), MARQ® Carbon Collection
MARQ® Commander (Gen 2) – Carbon Edition
MARQ® Commander (Gen 2) – Carbon Edition
MARQ™ Adventurer
MARQ™ Adventurer
MARQ™ Athlete
MARQ™ Athlete
MARQ™ Aviator
MARQ™ Aviator
MARQ™ Aviator (Gen 2)
MARQ™ Aviator (Gen 2)
MARQ™ Captain
MARQ™ Captain, MARQ™ Captain: American Magic Edition
MARQ™ Commander
MARQ™ Commander
MARQ™ Driver
MARQ™ Driver
MARQ™ Expedition
MARQ™ Expedition
MARQ™ Golfer
MARQ™ Golfer
Mercedes-Benz Venu®
Mercedes-Benz Venu®
Mercedes-Benz Venu® 2
Mercedes-Benz Venu® 2
Mercedes-Benz Venu® 2S
Mercedes-Benz Venu® 2S
Venu®
Venu®
Venu® 2
Venu® 2
Venu® 2 Plus
Venu® 2 Plus
Venu® 2S
Venu® 2S
Venu® 3
Venu® 3
Venu® 3S
Venu® 3S
epix™ (Gen 2)
epix™ (Gen 2), quatix® 7 – Sapphire Edition
epix™ Pro (42mm)
epix™ Pro (42mm)
epix™ Pro (47mm)
epix™ Pro (47mm), quatix® 7 Pro
epix™ Pro (51mm)
epix™ Pro (51mm)
fēnix® 5 Plus
fēnix® 5 Plus
fēnix® 5S Plus
fēnix® 5S Plus
fēnix® 5X Plus
fēnix® 5X Plus
fēnix® 6
fēnix® 6
fēnix® 6 Dual Power
fēnix® 6 Dual Power
fēnix® 6 Pro
fēnix® 6 Pro, fēnix® 6 Sapphire
fēnix® 6 Pro Dual Power
fēnix® 6 Pro Dual Power
fēnix® 6 Pro Solar
fēnix® 6 Pro Solar
fēnix® 6 Solar
fēnix® 6 Solar
fēnix® 6S
fēnix® 6S
fēnix® 6S Dual Power
fēnix® 6S Dual Power
fēnix® 6S Pro
fēnix® 6S Pro, fēnix® 6S Sapphire
fēnix® 6S Pro Dual Power
fēnix® 6S Pro Dual Power
fēnix® 6S Pro Solar
fēnix® 6S Pro Solar
fēnix® 6S Solar
fēnix® 6S Solar
fēnix® 6X Pro
fēnix® 6X Pro, fēnix® 6X Sapphire, fēnix® 6X Pro Solar, tactix® Delta Sapphire, quatix® 6X Solar, tactix® Delta Solar, tactix® Delta Solar Ballistics
fēnix® 7
fēnix® 7, quatix® 7
fēnix® 7 Pro
fēnix® 7 Pro, fēnix® 7 Pro – Solar Edition, fēnix® 7 Pro – Sapphire Solar Edition
fēnix® 7 Pro – Solar Edition (No Wi-Fi®)
fēnix® 7 Pro – Solar Edition (No Wi-Fi®)
fēnix® 7S
fēnix® 7S, fēnix® 7S– Solar Edition, fēnix® 7S– Sapphire Solar Edition
fēnix® 7S Pro
fēnix® 7S Pro, fēnix® 7S Pro– Sapphire Solar Edition
fēnix® 7X
fēnix® 7X, fēnix® 7X - Solar Edition, fēnix® 7X– Sapphire Solar Edition, quatix® 7X – Solar Edition
fēnix® 7X Pro
fēnix® 7X Pro, fēnix® 7X Pro– Sapphire Solar Edition
fēnix® 7X Pro No Wi-Fi
fēnix® 7X Pro No Wi-Fi
quatix® 6
quatix® 6
quatix® 6X
quatix® 6X, quatix® 6X Solar, quatix® 6X Dual Power
tactix® 7
tactix® 7, tactix® 7 – Pro Ballistics Edition, tactix® 7 – Pro Edition
tactix® 7 – AMOLED Edition
tactix® 7 – AMOLED Edition
vívoactive® 3 Music
vívoactive® 3 Music
vívoactive® 4
vívoactive® 4
vívoactive® 5
vívoactive® 5

If your watch supports Generic Bluetooth Low Energy Channel on here

It could be made to work, for the 218x218 resolution on my wife’s vivoactive 4s I added that to make it work on github, but it isn’t released on connect IQ yet

Dear lord, I knew Garmin had a large confusing product line with too many watches! Never seen the full list like that

Yeah agreed it is awful. Almost like they are making a different watch for every type of activity you can do…

I had a Tactix Charlie which is basically a Fenix 5x but apparently didn’t get software upgrade and couldn’t do the ble. But recently upgraded to a forerunner 955.

Had another session, I did have it disconnect quite a few times. It would be nice if it showed the speed even when disconnected, but that is about my only complaint.

1 Like

Hey @brycej, I went out today and tried Vescdash on my Garmin 255. It was great seeing everything on my wrist with such clear visibility (unlike my VX3 screen that has creeping moisture damage)
One issue, my speed number was totally off. I was cruising 12-14mph most of the time and Vescdash would indicate 5-7 (with no units). Did you have to make any adjustments to the app settings?
I also found at the end that no data was recorded. How have you been initiating an activity on your watch? I just started Vescdash, connected and went out. Did you hold down the start button to get an actual activity sterted?

Also, I had it disconnect occasionally, but only about 5 times in an hour, better than I had expected. I ride a DIYed Fliteboard with a Flipsky 75200Pro. Maybe the board or vesc has a better signal, or it could have been the watch.

Hey @S_Roger
If I remember right I might have hit the top right button and a little red record symbol started Next time I try I’ll keep a close eye.

I didn’t have problem with the speed. It seemed pretty reasonable. It did freeze the speed whenever it disconnected, which was slightly annoying.

My ESC and BLE is in an aluminum box under my carbon fiber board, so I was surprised it worked as well as it did. (I run my remote RX antenna out of the box)