Waterproof motor connection

Hey guys,

Some epoxy would seem obvious but I’m wondering if silicon sealant would do as good of a job?

Any experience with that?

Thanks,
Joss

Which motor is that? Haven’t seen this connection method before. I wonder if the power will be enough, normally the phase leads connection to the winding is a hotspot that can create problems. If you cover it in epoxy or silicon then it gets more thermally insulated.

2 Likes

Hey,

This is a F4125 so 400W load is the target (this is to propel a sup rather than a foil). More precisely 6S at around 20amps.

that’s probably ok, i thought it was a foildrive or efoil motor.

I would cover the connections with 2-3 thin coats of epoxy, then apply anti-corrosion oil on the complete motor.

1 Like

Didn’t think about that, thanks a lot for the tip!
Any brand/type you recommend for the anti corrosion-oil? Is it fluid enough to enter the motor with a dip or I should open it?

If you want a long lasting waterproofing then open motor, degrease surfaces with IPA or acetone, then apply 1-2 coats of epoxy. Be careful not to get it too thick in the airgap between rotor and stator. Then apply an anti corrosion oil like corrosion x. There are some more detailed guides here and on youtube if you do a search

1 Like

Thanks, I might keep it simple for the first sample (ie use some mineral oil), as it likely some other problems will arise.

I would use motor solder on those contacts. You should see any of the wire where it touches solder point

1 Like

Those solder joints are ‘dry’ joints meaning you need more solder and to heat it all the way through so that it flows properly onto the PCB connection. A dry joint will be far worse current wise than a thinner wire would be.

Thanks for the comment I thought they’d be ok but I will definitely add some solder. Sadly I just been changing job and haven’t had time to come back to it.