Waydoo Battery Safety Concerns

@Jezza So this his how a water soaked 12s pack (Samsung18650) looks like after 2 weeks… One of my first muild 3 years ago…It died quiet & piecefully…

And this is how a burned LiIon battery looks like !!!(and you will find a lot more on the web)

it´s just bullshit that it would have disappeard into a gas cloud :crazy_face: but on the owners photos published you can see the rest of the garage with remains of tesla, surfboard, bycicle a.s.o was still there…Yes totaly true story, for shure :sweat_smile:

Oh man… you can try hard…

He even points out the foilboard in this video you absolute muppet!
This will be the last response to you as I have no further need to feed the trolls…

Thanks that you posted it… So you can see the remains of the foilboard (which is actualy EPP foam and burns pretty well), but there is nothing left of that Lithium 18650cell battery, including it`s 5-6mm thick alloy plate?? Yes totally believable :joy: Come on use your brain… :wink:

1 Like

So David clearly says its the foil board battery right from the start, he even points it out which you can barely make out a thing amongst the crap and bad quality video. But you still trying to pretend its not…
I mean its a free world and you can believe what you want but #ostrichsyndrome

No, It was right at the beginning, when I was telling that I don´t believe the story. Because a battery with that solid alloy box can´t just burn into nothing when all the other stuff is still visible… I trusted my knowledge with batteries and new instantly that this can`t be!
And when D.Hill yesterday announced that it was not the waydoo battery, thanks for telling my that i was right! :sweat_smile:
And now you still post bullshit that this battery would have bunred and just disappeared… Think of it again… If not, show me how you fill a battery with water, try to ignite it and then show me that there will be nothing left, not even metal :rofl:

:wave: Admin for the private Backers/Owners-only Facebook group here, and Kickstarter backer #2.

There is a lot of rumour and speculation here - some warranted - some not. The reason I created the private FB group was because there was already a large public Waydoo group and I wanted a forum for KS Backers to have a place to discuss the campaign and product with each other - it’s private because if it you post in a public group Facebook pushes updates to your friends feeds that they may not care about. I also wanted to ensure that the conversation centred around backers/owners needs and not people who are just interested in Waydoo.

Until we can all see an official report from the proper authorities on the cause of the garage fire in question, this is speculative back and forth and all undocumented information should be considered hearsay - including inconsistent and conflicting comments about the fire source from the victim.

The bottom line is eFoiling is a new growing exciting sport that everyone is passionate about - that’s great!

If any company is shipping an unsafe product it is important to raise the alarm, but also give the company an opportunity to respond and react.

The main issue I have with @FoilFiesta (and others) sharing private conversations publicly, is that they are violating the rules of the Facebook group they agreed to when they joined - specifically by sharing screenshots from a private space with people’s full/real names/avatars un-redacted. No one is trying to cover up for Waydoo, however there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy if you are posting in a private group - anyone violating that should be removed from that group. Since @FoilFiesta has still not identified themselves here or on as a lurking member of the private-backers FB group some further measures may be taken there.

Whatever is posted/discussed on Waydoo’s (3000+ member) public group is public information for all to see/discuss - those posts/names are visible to all.

As a Waydoo owner I have a vested interest in seeing them survive and thrive - to provide warranty/parts/upgrades down the road, and to continue to make eFoiling more accessible.

As an eFoiler I have a vested interest in seeing eFoiling continue to grow safely - fires and/or catastrophic equipment failure will result in regulation and restriction of eFoil operation around the world. We are already fighting an uphill battle here in Canada where their operation is prohibited based on a 20+ year old Federal law.

All new products have early issues, including the 2 leading eFoil brands. What will dictate their survival and growth is their response and customer service - with Waydoo this is still to be proven.

I’m hopeful that Waydoo will continue to improve their transparency and communication - from what I’ve seen I truly believe this is a startup company dealing with unanticipated demand/success, but who has not wilfully or maliciously cut any corners as far as ensuring their product meets all regulatory requirements.

We can argue in circles about the engineering specifics - I’m not qualified to speak to those, although many on this DIY forum are. I’m hopeful that Waydoo will take some of the feedback from this forum and use it to improve their product over time.

Bottom line, I will continue to use and enjoy my Waydoo Flyer One. As with any other product with a large battery (eFoil or otherwise), I will carefully handle the battery and closely inspect it after every use, ensuring it is used/charged safely and most importantly stored safely when not in use.

5 Likes

Guys are claiming that the battery test have been released in the FB group. Care to add the testing info here for all to see?

There is no battery test posted in the FB group, nor is there any official fire report. On an unrelated topic someone posted a PDF of the MSDS (material safety data sheet) they had to give to their storage facility for insurance purposes. Nothing in it looks relevant to this topic except the one line where it mentions the battery passed UN 38.3 testing.

Oddly, the MSDS was issued on January 4th, 2021 (by KSIGN Guangdong Testing Co., Ltd.). Can’t help but wonder why it was issued 6 months after the product was being sold?

I am definitely not the social media police as you accuse. Try to understand how a private company such as FB works - when someone creates a private group - you agree to its terms and conditions - just as a retail store can require you to wear shirt and shoes - no different. You have broken your agreement when you signed up to a private page by not being an owner or operator - simple as that. Please leave the group. Waydoo received UN38.3 certification in June of last year for their battery. You are not a user and you are not and should not be privy to this information. Again - simple as that.

I’ve been reading about the hoverboard disaster and it sounds like the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) certifications are just as important as UN 38.3 testing, if not more important because they’re more comprehensive tests. They have different standards that cover the cells, battery pack, charger, and also the device as a whole. Waydoo makes no mention of these in any of their posts.

There are also many stories (and lawsuits) where Chinese hoverboard companies provided fake or forged certification documents, including UN 38.3 tests. Given Waydoo’s history of lying to their customers and their silence regarding other major design flaws I think it’s reasonable to be suspicious of their testing claims. There is still no explanation of why they have multiple motor fires, dozens of broken fuselages and bent masts, and a bunch of runaway boards that could easily kill someone. I’m sure they “tested” all those things as well. Battery fires are only a threat to the owner and you can take steps to avoid them, but runaway boards are a threat to innocent bystanders and there’s nothing you can do to prevent them.

Their typical excuse is that each problem was the result of a bad production batch and things will be fine going forward. Unfortunately for Waydoo, multiple customers have now received warranty replacement boards that still suffer from the same flaws that prompted their warranty claims in the first place, so we know they are only giving excuses and not explanations.

1 Like

Many of these boards are going to spend time in apartment buildings and hotels. Most people that buy an efoil/ebike/esk8 - especially the budget models are going to have little respect for battery safety. That is one MAJOR difference that separates the masses from the DIY enthusiast.

@FoilFiesta So now as your story (that it must have been the WFO battery, turns out to be wrong, you start telling that waydoo, is lying all their customers and would provide fake UN38.3 tests? Man you must have a big war with those guys? What did they do to you? Or just competitor seriously afraid of them?

Why telling bullshit here and not go ahaed … take your balls and sue them in court, proove their CE and UN 38.3 are fake…(They were actually done by an independent agency as you can see on them, so actually you have to sue those guys)
If you win, then I´m shure they will definately disapear from the market…No freight company will transport their goods if this UN38.3 is not valid!

The fire inspector said it was the Waydoo battery, do you have a report that contradicts that? And why would I need to sue them when their own users are already talking about reporting them to the CPSC? My only concern is to make their defects public so consumers know what they’re paying for.

Waydoo has a legal obligation to disclose significant product failures, especially ones that could pose a safety risk. A fuselage that breaks while you’re riding is a major safety risk. A motor that short circuits and catches on fire is another safety risk. A board that goes completely out of control at full speed is a safety risk.

Now that their failures are public they will face much higher penalties if they refuse to disclose them.

What if I receive information that reasonably suggests my product could create a safety or health hazard but no reports have been received alleging that actual harm or injury has been suffered?
You must immediately report the information about the product. The law does not require injury or harm to have occurred

1 Like

Do you have the report that confirms the cause of the fire? If so, please share, as we are all awaiting it.

The core of this argument is the design of the parts.

If the pics are from a waydoo battery (which i believe they are) then the design is at the same or lower level than most builds here. It would be good enough when you only put yourself at risk in a diy build but not OK to sell to the public.

It’s as simple as that for most of us, we wouldn’t be able to take responsibility for a battery like the pictured one.

Wow, I posted a photo of my DIY battery above, and thought it`s quite well. But I must admit it is by far not at this level…And to tell you the truth I will adopt some of their design ideas, because I think the case and sealing is done really good…allthough others are telling different… they are by far better, than what else I´ve seen so far…I see a lot are still sealing their box with sikaflex…and that only works temporarily…but not for some years…
So how do your battery packs look like? Maybe we all can learn of it…

That is what people has been saying! Waydoo pack at best is a good DIY battery pack but not a safe professionally manufactured consumer level product. Congrats you finally were be able to comprehend the argument here.

1 Like

Hi
I received my Waydoo flyer one in October.
So far, I was able to use it twice.
First time, remote control stoped to connect to the board after using it for 10 minutes.
They sent me another remote.
Used the board 2 days in a row after the replacement remote arrived.
Then went out and used my board another time and the same issue happened. After 10 minutes using it the remote control just lost connection with the board. I sent back the remote and now they are checking if the problem is the remote or the blue tooth unit at the mast.
A real disappointment so far.
I bought the Waydoo flyer one at McKite and they are good, always answer the phone and promptly respond to emails.
But, so far, Waydoo has been a huge disappointment.

I took my Flyer One out today for the very first time and had a lovely time for 45+ minutes until the controller suddenly lost contact with the board while going around 13/24 speed. I stayed on as long as I could but eventually bailed and lost control of the board.

The board continued running at the same speed and began going in circles around me. This was a dangerous situation as I was practicing in a relatively small bay full of moorings and usually snorkelers (thankfully none at this time). I was certain the board was eventually going to hit a boat so I swam to the perimeter of its circle and, at great personal risk, caught it and wrangled myself onto it. I manually held down both buttons on the battery box and this seemed to shut it off.

This was a harrowing experience and it’s unfortunate to learn that others have had similar issues and that there are broader safety concerns with the battery. I’ve sent an email to Waydoo regarding my experience, but I’m not sure I can trust the board going forward. If I had been going full speed or further away from shore it would have been a seriously life threatening situation.

That sounds pretty scary. Was the board planing or on foil when it was doing circles around you?
What are you going to do now that you can’t trust it?