Waydoo Battery Safety Concerns

These new pics are even more disturbing! It really is just a bad “DIY” style battery in a case with ZERO thought to safety.

• Busbars are too small
  • Soldering is terrible
  • Nickel quality looks bad
  • No cell fusing
  • No overall system fusing
  • The list could go on…

No real surprises at the price paid for it and the known quality and issues that have already happened…

1 Like

Agree with that all, build quality is bad…

That second layer of ‘waterproofing’ of the heat shrink is hilarious :smiley:

This battery needs to be tested according to UN 38.3, otherwise it could not be shipped around the world. If it passed this test, it can be assumed as safe. If not blame the test authorities.
You are all professional here right?
I have seen burning teslas too.

2 Likes

That is the question, did it really pass UN 38.3? We have not seen the certification yet plus dishonest company can cheat and take couple fo good pack and pass the test but if there is no solid QA in manufacturing process which in case of waydoo, clearly there isn’t they can go back and start soldering wires in their garage! Plus is un38.3 ienough for marine application? Answer is no!
Again we should not normalizing “energy storage can catch fire by itself”narrative! comparing Tesla or other stuff is just helping Waydoo to get a away from this and put more people’s life in danger. This is very dangerous precedent! You cannot compare this to diy either which we take full responsibility with being fully aware of the risks we are dealing with! Here Waydoo sells a battery pack which consumers assume (as they should) it is as safe as their flash light. I am sure no one would buy such a thing of they have to agree this battery can catch fire some day because it is only ip67 and salt water will cause fire some day! They raised 2.5M in crowd funding they should and they could have come with much better and safe battery pack

Can you please show us the other side of the case so we can see if anything is build in the structure to hold these items (believe you have currently have the components sitting on the cover)?

The owner finally reappeared and once again contradicted Waydoo, who tried to make it sound like the report was finalized. That is not the case and he is still waiting for the final report. If we’ve learned anything from this whole event it’s that you can’t trust a single thing Waydoo says.

@FoilFiesta, considering you pick and choose what you copy/paste from a Facebook private group, you troll and bash that all provide little to no value to others that is in direct violation of this community guidelines, my and other’s trust in you is more in question. Here is the actual copy/paste from David that includes his wording “NOT THE WAYDOO BATTERY”:

1 Like

The first sentence is the only relevant information he provided. If he’s still awaiting the final decision then how does he know it was not the Waydoo battery? And why did the fire investigator confirm it was the Waydoo battery? Given those two conflicting sources it makes more sense to trust the expert rather than the uninformed user.

He can’t seem to make up his mind…

You’re not like metals, are you?
Wild speculation about the nickel stripes, although you were seriously wrong with my engines.

Just serves as an example of all of the wild speculation here …

Anything quieter and with less emotion would be more useful :hugs:
Best regards Frank

1 Like

@LewisZhu-Waydoo while we await an official report/verification of the cause of the garage fire, can you share here the certification documents (including UN38.3 Test Report) that were previously shared by Waydoo to the backers Facebook group?

I’m human made from bones, flesh etc, but metal free… I’m not sure even you know what you mean by this :rofl:

You like the master of assumptions… I asked whether you used alu or stainless because it looked like you had. People have done much weirder things. I didn’t realise that I needed to add a disclaimer about what motors are normally made from and how they are stamped so that you knew I knew that. But now I know Frank needs all that…

Your speculation about nickel based on a photo …:see_no_evil:
It was just as unwise as the assumption about my engines …:see_no_evil:
But it only served as an example of much speculation here throughout these posts.:see_no_evil:

1 Like

It appears you don’t understand the difference between a question, assumption, opinion or fact. There clues in the grammar and punctuation at the end :wink:

Burned Color area around spot weld point : not a good sign of quality

I understand the owners posted it was not the waydoo battery, but FoilFiesta does not believe that, telling the owner of the garage has no knowledge? Kind of strange :joy:

But a bit concerned now…and there seem to be some real battery experts here…
Can anyone tell, how this lift battery could burst this way? inside-out? Don´t think it was photoshoped…
I thought all those batteries must have overpressure vents? But in the photo it looks like it bursted… Those vents dont work or what happened?
So better get an alloy box instead of the plastic box, Liftfoil recommends?

So just to review;

Waydoo immediately began investigating with the owner the house fire in case their battery was implicated.

Waydoo was fully transparent and released their test reports including the UN38.3 certification to the owner/operators

Are we not to trust these reports and tests? Do folks here think they are fake? Based on what evidence?

Despite the conclusions jumped to by many parties here - the final fire marshall report and the owner exonerated both the Waydoo battery and the Tesla battery - instead implicating a marine deep cycle battery on a charger.

Waydoo responded to the critique of their battery design point by point - with several issues refuted - loose battery, seals, plug, balancing wire and buttons. Again do we doubt what they say and if so - why? You may not agree with the way they have tackled the design - but the design has passed all the relevant tests.

Others can critique the design as they like - that can certainly be useful and prudent. My current experience is that my battery fits tight within the case - no movement possible. The seal is solid, the buttons are waterproof and the battery has excellent performance characteristics commensurate with genuine Sony/Mattua cells. There are some on here - FoilFiesta - who publish screenshots from the waydoo owners group - including identification of actual owners - and he is not an owner - nor an operator - he should not be on the private waydoo group. Nor is he privy to the private contact that actual owners have with the company. I would take his pronouncements with a grain of salt.

4 Likes

You got a final report? Where is it? Nobody posted one in the Waydoo group.

This sounds much more like a confirmation.

How do you know it hasn’t been posted? What are you doing in the private user group? Where do YOU think it is? Its probably with the fire department and insurance company - you know, the folks who actually need it - and you’re not one of them. We have been told it exists and we have a statement from the actual person who lives in the house - not another poster here - the actual owner. You can go with whatever you want - have at it. I’ll stick with the facts.

1 Like

As much as foil fiesta might not have all the facts, neither do you, which means you also just speculating about the fire.
I also didn’t realise you were the social media police and decided who could be in what groups? Waydoo having a private group purely for owners seems like the perfect place to try make excuses for things outside of the wider public view. If there was nothing to hide then no one would care whether the group is private or not or who was actually in it.
If waydoos product was excellent, they’d very easily corner the market with their price, however it turned out to be to be a situation of most got what they payed for with shortcuts on the safety side.
In a DIY environment we forever welcome cheaper components that improve our builds and make them easier, but not at the cost of safety or potential resultant legislation from a company that is being a bit careless.
From the tear down pictures, one can clearly see that adequate safety measures haven’t been taken for a consumer based product of this nature. That’s why people have strong opinions on the waydoo boards. Corners cut = danger…

1 Like