Waydoo Battery Safety Concerns

It os crazy that someone could defend waydoo manufacturing quality! Just read waydoo response above it is clear they have no idea about basic safety and regulatory standards please go read! Lithos is US based and you can take legal actions if their battery malfunctions plus just compare both packs tear down! While I am not a fan of lift battery pack which I believe it has room to improve, it much better quality and has bunch safety features provisions compare to waydoo which looks like a fast built diy pack in nice abs box

@FoilFiesta “I could put up a website with some fire pics and say anything caused it.”

that is exactly what you do on waydoo :joy: No photo to proof and owner posted already that it is not true… so whatelse do you think this is ?

and on the other hand tellin me that those photo are taken randomly just telling it was a liftfoil battery…
What is wrong with you? Better check those photos again…
https://www.electricsurfboardreviews.com/liftfoils

I don`t care which Li-battery takes fire, just get the message…take care of Li Ion batteries, they are all not 100%safe when charging, believe whatever you want… but stop writing bullshit without any proof!

2 Likes

I am the one that opened the Lift battery.

The difference between the lithos battery construction and waydoo’s is like comparing Porsche build quality with a barbie car’s.

It might not be obvious in the pictures to everyone, but the waydoo battery internals look like something out of a toy and the lift internals would look at home in a well engineered car or airplane.

Example: There are two to three orders of magnitude more in expense and effort put into fasteners and connectors inside the lift battery (multiple types of epoxy, polyimide film tape, nordlock washers, high quality bolts, integrated anchoring to the case for every component, all wires carefully secured with zip ties to each other or anchor points, a battery cage structure, sleeved power cable, etc.)

4 Likes

Are you really this gullible?

That’s a fake website registered on July 16th 2020 with one page about Lift Foils that says it was posted on July 15th 2020, one day before the site existed. There are no other pages on the website and nothing to show that a Lift battery caused any of those fires.

P.S. you don’t need to use multiple accounts to send me private messages on this forum. Your constant use of ellipses and the non-standard apostrophe make them comically easy to link together.

So your telling me these photos are fake photos and it is not a liftfoil battery?

ok then I´m really sorry for that for me it looked like a battery fire of a lift foil battery… No one told me that I just looked at the photos… Sorry for that…
I´m out now…maybe some other users will discuss with you…It seems I have not the technical knowledge tounderstand your points… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do you understand the difference between something being in a fire and something causing a fire? I’m sure David had a shovel in his garage, should we say the shovel caused the fire?

I guess that concept is too complex for you to grasp :wink:

@FoilFiesta
Yes you are definately right… Sorry for misinterpreting the above photo of the Liftfoil battery. on the sail boat, and the other one having the heat source exactly at the battery position…I should have looked more closely… Sorry for that, don`t want to build up any wrong assumption… Those photos are most probably fake news…
So let us just stop this general discussion about Lithium battery safety and lets get back to beating waydoo, as the others are 100%safe :wink:

It is really hard to follow your logic if there is any unless you are the waydoo guy!
We are talking about the quality and safety of waydoo battery based on tear down photos! Plus Waydoo guy comes and says it is IP67!! Do you understand what does it mean? Means all those waydoo packs out there going to leak in salt water and cause fire eventually If we as a community don’t inform the owners asap! Plus Waydoo says it passed UN 38.8 which he confuses with UN 38.3 and that makes me think these guys have no idea about seriousness of the problem!
Lift battery caught on fire or not is not the problem here! Battery should not catch on fire if it is sold as consumer product. if it does company bares the liability to full extend! This is not a comparison! Plus do not bring people’s expectations down to favor Waydoo’s crappy battery with “ every li ion battery can catch on fire” no it shouldn’t!

1 Like

Well if you look at the facts that are there and the accuses made, I have just one short question?

What if an insurance guy involved in this, would know a bit more and it soon would turn out that no battery at all was involved in that fire… Neither Tesla nor waydoo… and that some of those technical assumptions you brought up here are not true…would you still accuse waydoo cutting corners and making quick $ ? This is quite a heavy statement if their battery has the certification and did not cause the fire…don`t you think so?
Would you just say sorry for those wrong accuses and that it was based on bad knowledge?
So let us calm down, wait a bit and see what investigation will show up… :wink:

You are just dancing around and ingoring the facts that Waydoo battery pack design is horrible! and clearly you have no idea what those regulatory standards means when it comes to legality in the court!No matter what caused the fire in this incident I am sure There will be more waydoo battery fires in tue future. Look if you are Waydoo dealer or waydoo stake holder jist stop for a sec and imagine if somebody dies in a fire caused whit a product you are selling or advocating which clearly lacks basic safety measures and quality, imagine if you knew it but you didn’t do the right thing!

Yes! They are cutting too many corners, a marine battery of that size has to be designed better. I will post a few more pictures so everyone can see for themselves.

2 Likes

Those are all good questions. Specially whether the battery was charging when the fire broke out. Was it the battery? Could it have been the charger?

Unofficial Waydoo statement is still that the fire was not caused by the Waydoo battery. He says they have no official report but David Hill emailed Waydoo last night.

David Hill himself still hasn’t confirmed anything in the group despite being active on Facebook daily and making several posts when this originally happened.

Thanks for the photos… This batterypack looks nice to me… No cheap cells, high quality Sony 18650… and some smart ideas and maybe a few to improve… Is there any name on this plug, so we may search where to get this?

1 Like

Hey you are right; everyone is being very quick to condemn without complete info.

But I think the rush to point fingers has got more to do with every one of us (as consumers) worried about ALL the foil brands shipping product too early, without proper system design and environment considerations.

To give you some evidence that it’s not an anti-china prejudice, remember that 2yrs ago this forum was alive with condemnation of Lift foils for trying to enforce bull$hit patents. That was a lot of pressure on that US company for bad practice at the time. So anyone can get bad press here…

I don’t think anyone really trusts any of the brands. Best move for all the brands (Waydoo or otherwise) is to take the bull by the horns, be honest and transparent, and show that there is a plan to learn from mistakes and mishaps. That’s how you build a good brand name and the confidence of your consumers. I think you can do this without admitting liability; but I would LOVE to see brands that admit they made mistakes regardless of the implications. I would trust them after that…

Thanks for posting these extra pics on the Lift fire. I’d love to see more; if anyone knows of any mishaps we should start keeping a log and tracking how each company deals with it.

3 Likes

Well it’s a website design specifically to spray Lift with venom… that’s pretty clear.

But are they real pictures? If fake then I’m sure Lift can have it taken down. It’s libel or something like that right? namecheap have a US number. If it stays up then perhaps it’s real and permitted as free speech?

I’d love to know who but the whois information is closed book:

This is in the links from that other Lift-shaming site. Looks like another Lift-shaming effort; but also looks real. Pissed and wanted to make a statement?

http://www.uniquemediadesign.com/wally-haden-dock-fire?fbclid=IwAR2Wun7qwHq-XLv_MYndh8wDNhp_h9Cd1-ralIQ1hDOGHCb_uhk7MVAJmPo

Let’s face it, every form of stored energy imposes a danger of releasing it… mass at height, gasoline in a tank and lithium battery’s.
Every major e-bike, cell phone en EV company has had it’s failures, search for it and you will find it for every brand. All those brands sell commercial products to not-knowing-the-danger-customers all over the world. Now Waydoo enters the list. It that a big deal? maby the failure rate will prove to be ‘above average’ in the future. We will see.
Personally I think most DIY battery’s in the community suffer an equal or greater risk than the waydoo battery. (please do not start the disccusion; “but my battery has better [fill in your specs] than waydoo”) We still are using them with great fun and store them in a shed or home…

If the investigation will give a clear cause of the fire, it’s important how a manufacturer of the equipment deals with it. If there is a clear technical risk involved for instance, a recall or improvement is mandatory.