Waydoo Battery Safety Concerns

wow, all I can say is wow. Which company is so irresponsible and lets people buy this thing. This is unacceptable you, should sue them. Imagine this thing hitting a swimmer out of control and the only thing you can do is watch. How is something so simple, but though so crucial overseen by such a company. I would never trust my life on such a board again! Good hand controllers are such an essential detail for efoils. That’s why I work hard every day to get mine finished now. I really want to give all of you the chance to operate your efoil responsible and safe.

Stay safe!
FeRo

Is Waydoo still in business? They fired their “co-founder”, the unanswered warranty claims are piling up, the runaway board issue has gone unfixed for months now, and I’ve seen 1 post from them in the past month.

Waydoo battery water damage

The Waydoo battery packs seem to fail sometimes because the buttons aren’t really op for the task and therefore not being able to charge it or use it. They get wet inside and stop making a reliables connection and therefore stop working as a switch. I have replaced a few buttons now and opened about a pack or 8. All seem to have the battery lose in there and always one or two corner seals folded. The loose battery can easily be fixed and isn’t a real problem i just think a blob of silicone can solve that. So far even with the folded seal no leaks from the factory. (Hopefully they read this)

For now, one battery was underperforming and losing capacity after one season of use(first generation type). But besides that no real problems. The shrinkwrap waterproofing seems to work but they need to fix the battery in the case since the shrinkwrap will just wear through like happened here.

Arguing about the XT90 connector, that one is used in parallel they use both pins for the negative side of the battery so 180A (2x90) peak and 80A (2x40) continues. That means 4kW continues and the board is not pulling that so no problem. About the loose PCB end that shouldn’t be an issue unless it’s used in an esk8 that continuously rides on cobblestones. It would be nicer it was incased and better coated. But when you get water in the casing it’s game over in any case. Fixing this would mean fully potting the battery. And will only add weight and unfixable electronic waste.

The battery shown in the photos down here has water damaged. But not because of bad quality control, someone replaced a button but misplaced the seal (this one is hard to instal so I understand why).

3 Likes

Is this another Waydoo battery on fire?

Be safe with all of your batteries guys. These large lithium ion batteries are serious business.

Imagine this fire happening where your battery is stored right now. Goodbye house, car, boat, apartment! Or thank goodness you had the battery in a BBQ grill, or ammo can for safe keeping!

:sunglasses::call_me_hand:

This is a lift board

If solo foiling and this happens in the water, might be a long swim to the shore…without the board.

Safety is main reason i decided to use lifepo4 in my build…
Tay are much safer chemistry then lithum-ion, wont explode or burst in flames…
Also tay have much longer life span around 2000 cycles.
Yes lihiuim ion have little bit more energy density, but on heavy use on efoil tay will quickly lose capacity because shorter life span (around 500 cycles at best) and after a year you will have less energy density then in lifepo4.
Realy dont know why manofacturers like flite or lift and etc… dont use them…

1 Like

I reckon its a BMS failure…

1 Like

Why do you aks if it´s another Waydoo battery burning. As far as I know the case where the garage burned down is clear that it was finally stated that it was not a waydoo battery…
But now we really see a lift battery burning live… Few more pics of burned Lift batteries in the www… But I think they all come from almost the same big battery suppliers in China. I´m shure neither Lift nor Waydoo do manufacture those themselves…So it´s a general problem for all companies… and that´s why they recommend to by those safety boxes from Zarges or www.battery-safe.com

If the battery starts burning like that at sea, pending on situation, it can be a life threating situation. The safety box does not help there…It scary that this happened to a quality and expensive product like Lift, would assume quality control is good. Wonder, is a part of the high prices of their batteries, related to expensive liability insurances they have? Would not dare to sell this type product without 100% insured liability cover, especially in the USA where such liabilities might be of an astronomical magnitude…

1 Like

Hi Kwinty, i have 2 friends that have power button issue and one battery that wont charge , can you advise me which power button should i get ?

Thank you in advance.

I need your help! Where can I buy the plug on the the photo. Thanks a lot

First I thouth you build a new battery but now I understood that you opened a original Waydoo Battery – Sorry about my question before. The problem is, that I need a plug like at the Waydoo Battery. But I think the plug is used/build only from Waydoo. Now I hope that I could find somebody who has an old/demage Waydoo Battery.

1 Like

Merten,

A friend of mine let me try his Flite efoil and I fell in love. I can understand the passion of everyone here. I cannot afford the price tag so wanted to find something less expensive. I’ve started researching Waydoo and came across this post.

This post scares me immensely. I am considering a Waydoo, but this gives me pause.

I’d love to tap into the expertise of this group :

(1) Does Waydoo have a never version out, and have they improved these flaws that led to water getting in?

(2) I hear about efoil battery fires. What are experts doing to protect their homes and property from these events, even if rare?

Thank you!
John

A gen3 Waydoo Flyer One Plus has been released in June/July this year to supposedly correct the “bugs”. To know if the battery is concerned, one will have to “knive-open” his/her brand new battery that is also very difficult to get as a spare part at the moment.

At home, as @Carved said above, you need a fireproof box: ammunition, Zarges,… or even a barbecue. So far, so good, afaik, among people using these measures, no fire has been reported here since July 2021… on the beach yes though…

Hello everyone,
Unfortunately, I discovered your page too late…
I share with you a photo of the remains of a freshly exploded WAYDOO battery in one of our storage rooms… this one was physically in very good condition, but failed, it no longer recharges, at least the signals of the leds indicated. Stored 15 days after last use at sea. 8 days after discontinuation of function or load tests. and 5 hours after changing its place in the storage room for a more secure shelf… this one exploded and literally burned everything around it…
The battery was not charging!
I just want to share my problem because WAYDOO does not answer any of my emails…
Everything was very dangerous and very traumatic for our whole team…

Arnoz ride safe !

The picture, please.

1 Like

@arnoz: ouch! Hope damages aren’t too bad

@mrendu43 I agree with the reasoning but i think that very few is out 2 times a day with the efoil.

For me it’s more like 2 times a week and 100 times a year, 5 years to 80% (in the worst case).

In that time the battery technology will have progressed enough for it to make sense to build a new battery.

That had water inside. You can see corrosion all over the place…