Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

Well all this escalated :slight_smile:

I think something many don’t realise, is that the more popular and cheaper efoils become, the closer they will be linked to personal water craft and the more they’ll be legislated out of most lakes and rivers. Especially in Europe… The exact same thing has happened with drones, esk8 and electric scooters. New tech, slight dangers associated with using it, say goodbye to freedom.

Be careful what you wish for…

I have seen the board in real life, and had a duo ride with the board next to mine. It not in all a bad board, the EPP foam is rigid and durable for normal use. The guy had a range of approx 25km and we were cruising around 30kmh. The board is very boiant, but doesn’t look too big, he is able to stand on it when barely moving.
My first impression is really OK, great fun for the price it’s offered. Board was purchased through the dealer in Amsterdam, and delivered last month. Since the dealer is local here, you can expect some service/warranty… at least better than directly communicating with China/kickstart/supplier.

1 Like

the first boards got delivered in the EU, so you should see some more around you in the future. Now most deliveries go to North America, so in the following weeks you should be able to see more of the #waydoo_one there too. If you discover it near you, check it out… it has some innovative unique features that are worth to check in detail…(F.e. mast quick attaching system, Battery connection a.s.o. :wink:
https://waydoo.one/wp-content/uploads/flyer-one-ani-2.gif

I supose I was being a bit preachy. After seeing a history of anti-chinese sentiment towards this product I chose to call it out. I’m certainly not batting for the company, but surely we can give the product a chance to either meet expectations or disappoint.
Did we really think the first affordable efoil wasnt going to be from China!

I agree completely. But I guess there are always people looking for the negative in everything. An affordable efoil at this stage was always going to require some compromises in the design to keep the price down.

3 Likes

I have been silenced. My apologies. Just trying to point out concerns I see with the design. I see this is not welcome, and I will stop.

:call_me_hand:

Serious US shops taking pre-orders for the mid October delivery. Shipping must be added to these prices.

Waydoo Flyer One - price differs according to configuration
4795$: https://www.mackiteboarding.com/waydoo-flyer-one-e-foil/
4999$: Waydoo Flyer One+ | EPP Patroller E-Foil - Order Today! - Session Sports

Waydoo Flyer: 6495$
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/waydoo-flyer-e-foil/

Waydoo Flyer One User doc (2020.04 version) :
[Edit: English version] Quick Start Guide.pdf - Google Drive

Wow, only $4,800 for the retail units. Most people were expecting something closer to $6k.

RIP Lift and Fliteboard, this will destroy their sales unless the Waydoo boards are complete garbage and the warranty service is terrible.

I have enjoyed your post. Very interesting. I wanted to share this with Our interview to the Waydoo.one part1 The Mast | By E-foil news | Facebook

3 Likes

Where do you see this price ? I get 6495$ on the above link…

That’s the carbon version, the EPP foam is ~4800 in the links.

The video above gives a good view on the seal and mast design, I do like the design to the top- /controller side of the mast.

1 Like

Agreed. The platform/design is clever. Considering the nature of the chassis components (battery pack, controller/mast and aluminium frame) and the simplicity of the injection-moulded board that sits around it, it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw a greater variety of models in the near future. For the likes of Lift and Fliteboard, it constitutes a big undertaking. For Waydoo, it’s peanuts.

I’ve ridden both the Flyer (CF) and the Flyer One (EPP) and I can tell you that my money would be on the Flyer One. It’s so lightweight. The Flyer feels really sluggish by comparison.

2 Likes

I have a question what interesting me few months already - why in most build here the controller placed in board, not in tube under water? It’s some limitation due electric schematics (current resistance or something similar)?

I think that this is due to having long phase wires (from ESC to motor) is better than having long power wires (from battery to ESC).

Plus a space problem, you don‘t want to increase the diameter of the tube or extend it, as this would increase drag. There is a Box that can be mounted between the mast and the board. It‘s in the forum, search for @ELEVATE.rocks.

An image worth a thousand words. We can see the small marks where the struts have been sanded out. Beware as this will likely void the warranty so this prop fairing can be 3D printed and reinforced until spares are available.

2 days ago I tested a waydoo one with some mods:
- no duct
- removed burrs on leading edges of stab and prop

Result:
- 10min more riding
- about 5km/h higher speed
- more responsive if throttle >70%

3 Likes

Nice. Where did you see this?

Wow! How did you manage talking the owner into doing the mods? Did you enjoy your ride?

No glory :wink: just a copy paste of a post found on the Waydoo KS backer FB account.
Before you ask, I haven’t bought a Waydoo One yet. I registered to “take the temperature” of this emerging brand bringing many innovations. Josh Newman, the list owner, likes efoil.builders and particularly this thread. I invite you to try to register. :wink:

Yeah ! That’s what I ment by mods ! I don’t know if it voids the warranty tho. If you can buy a spare duct those modifications shouldn’t be a problem for the warranty

That’s encouraging, I don’t see any reason it would jeopardize the warranty as it doesn’t seem to compromise the structural integrity or function in any way. Now we just need to know how good (or bad) their warranty support is.

2 Likes