Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

Is 5 days with no response good service?

Someone else got a replacement board because his old one got waterlogged and cracked. New board started taking on water right away too. Now Waydoo is telling people it’s normal to have a liter of water inside.

Lots of people still can’t legally ride their boards because Waydoo lied about having the proper paperwork.

False. He didn’t receive a replacement board yet - he did order two and the other one may be taking on water as it’s from the same manufacturing batch. I don’t believe any replacement parts have been received in NA yet.

Agreed. It appears we are hearing mostly from those with issues (which @FoilFiesta is sharing publicly WITH NAMES outside of the private backers group, likely against the wishes of those posting in a private space) and those without problems are happily riding theirs.

1 Like

Now have 3 sessions under my belt on my KS-backed Waydoo Flyer One. Yes there are some concerns about durability and long term-reliability, but I am super thrilled with my purchase. Waydoo will still have to prove themselves with post-sales support but I can tell you that without them I wouldn’t have been efoiling this past weekend. Already have 3 friends asking me when they can buy theirs (my answer is wait until Spring to see how the warranty and production quality issues shake out)

2 Likes

Looks like you are riding in some cold water where it freezes. Can you give us a longer report of how your sessions went? Colder weather will definitely impact the battery/ride time.

Why it’s so nozy?

All other boards also so loud?

That noise would definitely take some of the fun out of it for me.

I think it is a combination of 2 or 3 of the following:

1. Cheaper square wave ESC makes the motor louder
  2. Prop design and motor housing
  3. The sound waves traveling through the mast and using the foam board as a vibrating speaker cone of sorts

The water was about 50f/10c. I was very comfortable in my 4/3 wetsuit and 4mm boots and gloves. Head was a bit cold on some of the bigger falls, but was happy to be out there - especially with the unseasonably warm (20c) weather we had over the weekend. As it gets colder I’ll use my hood under my helmet.

I now have 4 sessions on my Waydoo. 2 solo and 2 teaching new eFoilers. I’ve been handling it carefully on land due to some bent masts and broken fuselages. In most of those cases they appear to be the longer mast and larger front wing, combined with a heavier (~200lb) rider. Until we have some solid data from Waydoo I probably wouldn’t let anyone over 180lbs ride mine, especially if they are new to eFoiling. Waydoo says 200-220lbs is the max for the EPP foam board version.

I had one calm day and one choppy day. Both fun. I’m glad I went with the shorter mast as it can get a bit shallower where I ride. In the waves a bit more mast height would be helpful, but due to the Waydoo fuselage/prop design you can get it higher than a Lift before the prop breaches. It also “sucks” you down towards the water possibly due to the water intake for cooling. Another experienced Lift rider has said that it’s noticeable how much better the Waydoo recovers from a breach vs. Lift.

A bit disappointed on the speed, as I was only able to hit 27km/h when they sold it as being up to 40km/h. I think they discovered early overheating issues and had to restrict the speed on the Kickstarter batch. Once I’m riding it daily in the spring/summer I may revisit this with Waydoo. I also expect they will be shipping a revised/faster ESC by then.

The noise isn’t that bad when you are on it, or near it. It seems to be picked up very loudly and annoyingly by camera microphones. Lift is definitely quieter (silent?) but I wouldn’t consider the sound a deal breaker at all, especially at the price difference.

Tried both wings - didn’t notice a huge difference, but need to do some more back to back riding with them. I think the larger Explorer wing would be better for teaching, especially if its choppy.

Some backer boards are really absorbing a lot of water due to EPP production issues. Waydoo is investigating. Mine seems fine and gains just under 1kg of weight when wet and most of it is gone after a few hours drying out. I make a point to keep the board near a floor drain. I’m totally fine with this trade-off to keep the price down.

Backers have been told that replacement parts are in transit for those who have had mast/fuselage/remote failures - seems to be the minority of boards out there. We’ll see what Waydoo does with this long mast bending issue, it may just come down to being a design/materials flaw - though not all (many?) of the long ones have bent. I’d even consider buying a longer mast in the future if they can show it’s reinforced (and hopefully faster!)

1 Like

@Vitalii @foilmore It’s not that loud in person. The GoPro etc. cameras seem to be really sensitive to it. I was a bit nervous about this too before I rode mine, and it’s really not noticeable when riding it (unless maybe you are used to a nearly silent Lift - I believe the Fliteboard is a bit noisier than Lift as well as it’s geared…)

1 Like

Great review! Were you able to get into any waves with it yet?
What is the slowest speed it will fly without stalling for each wing?

I’ll only be riding lakes with it, some swells on windier days. Had a couple wavy days with it so far but nothing to report back on yet.

Will test stall speed and report back. Pretty sure I was able to get it up foiling at gear 16-18 of 24…but have to confirm speeds.

You’re really grasping at straws when you describe foam - the most common insulating material - as an amplifier.

Not reaching even one bit. Hopefully someone can compare soon. Aren’t they also making a CF board?

That is a sweeping generality to say that foam can only absorb sound. Softer foams do a better job attenuating high frequencies while firmer foams (like they waydoo board) work best for low frequencies.

Ever flicked the bottom of a Styrofoam coffee cup, made a speaker out of a Styrofoam bowl, or rubbed two large pieces of packaging foam together?

It can make some real noise if you vibrate it at the right frequency.

1 Like

…and in both cases, they’re attenuating, not amplifying. It is a generalisation, yes. It is also accepted scientific fact.

The noise from the cup comes from the acoustic properties of the shape, not the material. The reason the cup is made from styrofoam in the first place is because it is such a good insulator!

And dude, everything makes a noise if you vibrate it at the right frequency! That’s precisely what noise is! :joy:

I say again, grasping at straws.

We have differing educations in material science and physics and have different opinions. I will admit most of my professional experience in this particular field is from engineering primarily wind noise detection systems (and water leaks) using 30khz-50khz waves which are ultrasonic frequencies.

I accept that you disagree with my conjecture about the possibility for a large, stiff piece of EPP to resonate sound in this particular system. It does seem very counterintuitive. Maybe you are right and it would actually be louder with a different board. Maybe it makes (almost) zero difference.

I will patiently wait to see if the carbon fiber version sounds any different when someone does a comparison.

Perhaps before then someone who owns one that is badly waterlogging can tell us if it sounds any different soaked vs dry! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I believe it’s either CF or Kevlar (?) wrapped around the foam. I guess should/could change the sound. I’ll ask someone who has one if they notice any difference. It is heavier and stiffer.

@foilmore Flat water today, smaller Patroller wing, I think I was able to get it up foiling at around 15-16km/h (75kg rider)

Found this and think it is not to loud… the Etakuma of a friend is much noisier!.. waydoo_one on Instagram: "Took my cellphone on a flight to Show you the real sound of the #waydoo_one #efoil #loyaltotheefoil"

1 Like

Another Waydoo caught on fire :fire: :fire: :fire: This is the third Waydoo fire I’ve heard about. The owner said he rode the board for 20 minutes then the battery started beeping. Waydoo asked him to send a video so he put the battery in and the motor immediately started shooting flames. He didn’t run the motor on land at all. He had a second board that he tried once and the remote died right away.

I must have missed the afterburner feature in the marketing collateral!

4 Likes

I’ve only seen a picture of one with a burned out motor while it was in use. I’d like to see the 3rd one you are referring to…

Still unclear if this is related to user error or random catastrophic equipment failure. Either way not good to see flames shooting out of it and hopefully Waydoo will investigate further.