Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

Yeah it does. That’s what cast aluminium looks like when you snap it. We are so used to seeing cnc machined parts that we forget some cavemen are still casting aluminium. Sure casting has its place, but not on an efoil.

1 Like

And you can’t remove the prop shroud because the rear wing mounts to it!? Seriously? :rofl:

Cast aluminum submerged in salt water… this will surely end well :thinking:

you are right i didn’t realized that was that far away from the wing, just in front of the mast

This tubular part is too large to break. However close to the wing trailing edge… the fuselage is not only very thin plus we have this small cavity which is obviously too big for the stress…plus the screw holes… = not enough material = three reasons to break.
WD ONE crack 01
WD ONE crack 02

2 Likes

nice! i prefer this picture…, is that hole some kind of water intake ?

It seems to collect water while moving. This water seems to evacuate through the grid under the mast.
In the factory, the grid removed, this hollow part allows a hand to guide the cables up the mast and access the fuse to mast screws.
In the water, the grid on, this pocket (x) full of permanently renewed cold water ?
This fuselage chamber seems to be anodized though.
Quite clever overall, they just need to thicken the wall thickness transition between fuse nose and cooling chamber.

1 Like

Looks like. I have the same on volt efoil and that works very well

Some guy (i don’t believe him because his name Wang :smile:) said that he received shipping email.
Anybody here who joined Waydoo company have you received something similar?

I’m backer, # 176. Yes they asked for shipping info, est delivery Aug 2020

1 Like

Within a few weeks then. :star_struck: Looking forward to reading your feedback !

Get ready for a lot of used boards for sale super cheap… :rofl::call_me_hand:

1 Like

DO YOU hope you are right or wrong?

I feel sorry for the people who bought one of them. Should have built your own.

For that…I hope I am wrong. :crossed_fingers:

:call_me_hand:

Looks like bad design to me. Attachment to wing is to far back from wing center of lift and thus it creates huge bending moment which is recepie for failure. Ask me how I know? :slight_smile:

You will notice that most windfoil HF are like this so that the center of lift is under the footstraps.
The series of Waydoo fuselage that cracked were half circles (180 degrees) plus a screwed lower half. The series arriving in August seems to be 270 degrees plus a small screwed grid (see post 84 above). So I think this issue is solved with this new fuselage.
Whereas it’s clear that it is not Lift or Fliteboard quality, I think that for 3785usd it will be a nice product, Waydoo communication is not neglected at all, up to know it seems they want to last in this business and they need to make a first good impression. Their credibility is at stake.

2 Likes

ou will notice that most windfoil HF are like this so that the center of lift is under the footstraps.

I was refering to local front wing center of lift which is @ cca 25% from leading edge. If conecction to wing is not super rigid you have situation where bending at joint increases wing angle of attack,which then increases lift,which then increases bending moment and creates more flex/bending…similar to forward swept wings.

In non ideal contitions on sea (waves) it creates unecessary additional stress which can lead to failure if it is not strong enough.

1 Like

I’m one of the backers - I actually can’t remember my backer number but it’s in the 300’s. I am not a shill - if you were to join the Waydoo KS Facebook, I post with the same name there. As a general update, Waydoo have posted a few assembly photos last week showing masts stacked and posted a video of the stacked boxes a few days ago. They updated on the Facebook page and said that they will have the first 250 ready to load on a shipping container in 9 days from now. Some backers will low numbers - a group of which I am not - have said that they have received preliminary emails saying that they it will be shipped on August 23rd - presumably the date that the container will arrive in North America. A few of the backers are within China and they asked if they could pick them up in person sooner and Waydoo replied that they could do this, although the one person who asked is in Hong Kong and apparently COVID-restrictions prevent this so I’m not sure if anyone is planning on it.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I just got my Waydoo Flyer One three days ago here in the Netherlands and just wanted to give you guys an honest review because I couldn’t find a lot when I was researching what board to buy…

My first experience on a efoil was a couple of months ago and was on a Lift Cruiser and I liked it alot. My buddy was on a Lift Sport so I tried that as well. Because of my weight (>100 kg) I definitely preferred the Cruiser over the Sport.

Then I decided that I wanted to buy one of myself, but the 12k price point put be off so I checked out some other brands instead.

I tried out an E-takuma Efoil that is just under 7k here in Holland when buying directly from a shop. I took a lesson and was pleasently surprised of quality. It was well built but the board was gigantic. It did help me as a heavy rider but I can imagin that you will get bored quite fast because it doesn’t really turn.
My 10 year old son also gave it a try and the board just kept floating when he idled. That made it pretty easy for him to learn and he was riding within 2 minutes and was foiling within 10 min or so. The remote was way better than the lift or Waydoo because it has a wheel to control the gas instead of the trigger.
Can’t really explain it, but it was just a much more comfortable system. It did feel really underpowered though…After 30 min or so the power drops off a little and I really noticed that. My son obviously didn’t have that problem, but it really has a lot less power than the lift. (I think the E-Takuma has 3 KW but I’m not sure about the Lift)
I had the chance to buy the demo board from the school with 1K discount. So for 5800 euro, I could buy it.

Then I read about the Waydoo and wanted to check that out before I would decide to buy the E-Takuma. I booked a lesson in Amsterdam and tried it out three days ago. (The school also has the old Waydoo board so make sure you get the right one)

First thing I noticed is that the board is very different than the others. I had to get use to it, but the EPP is a lot softer and is much lighter.
I actually prefer it now because it rides smoother with a lighter board when you are above the water. First thing I noticed was the extra power. Within 20 sec. I knew I wasn’t going to go for the E-Takuma. The Waydoo has 6KW and for a heavy rider like myself it made all the difference. I was very lucky because on the day that I had a lesson, the new boards came in to the school and they accidentally shipped one too many to them. So when I overheard that I offered to buy it for full retail and that made me skip the que…normally there is a 8 week waiting list. That opportunity and the better experience made me go for the Waydoo.

I have only used it for three sessions now, so I can’t give any advice on long term build quality and performance, but I can give you my first impression.

-The quality is actually pretty good.

• The board has an aluminum frame with the epp molded on top. Hopefully that will give it the long term strength it needs.

• battery looks very well designed and does not look like a cheap Chinese knock-off at all.
    (All though it actually is, but it looks like the DJI guys definitely pointed them in the right direction)

• The battery and mast only need one connector so this is way better then the other two including the more premium Lift board.
    Those boards needs multiple connections and take some time to get ready.

• No tools required for mast and battery which makes setting up as easy as it gets. (Only screws for the wings of you take those off)

• remote is great quality and has speedometer which I like a lot. Also it has the option to maximize output. I love this because I don’t want my kids to be able to go full speed.
    Best remote quality of the three, however the control system of the E-Takuma is lower quality in hardware but better in user experience. (Imho)

• The Waydoo has a protective cage around the prop for added safety which I love for my kids.

• The set came in a nice travelbag

So…In short.
Lift still is the best board of these three, so if you don’t mind spending the cash go for that one. For me, the 5500 euro alternative is a great bang for your buck.(If the quality holds up over time.)

I’ll try to upload some pictures, because for some weird reason nobody posted them before…

10 Likes

Hmmmm
Apparently, new users are not aloud to post images…So unfortunately, I can’t post those pictures.

Why you would set up a forum that way beats me :slight_smile:

2 Likes