Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

Maybe you could make a video and share the link to it.

Well, it is some sort of protection so that companies cannot create automated accounts and spam the forum with advertising stuff faster than the moderators can ban them.

But @tylerclark should be able to remove this restriction for you.

Still can’t…
Pretty annoying

Thanks for your review ! can’t wait to read back from you on long time experience !

I’d be interested on a picture of the propeller. I wonder what diameter and prop type do they have :thinking:

A friend of mine has been there too. Just to take a look at there build quality

There boards had a lot of dents and damage already.

Oh thanks !

Seems casted alu too with a coating on it. I’d say around 150mm diameter too.

it is casted 100% sure and black painted. its cheaper than machining… just does not look as good as finishing is a bit lower…

I also looked at that solution…not decided on any…

1 Like

Casted alu seems a decent solution too (most of boat props are casted + hand polished / balanced). Especially for high quantity like planned by Waydoo

This forum (Discourse) is widely used around the internet. It works on a trust system and if you go through the guidelines it’ll up your privileges. You did not do that. I went ahead and gave you regular member access but keep in-mind all Discourse forums run the same way.

1 Like

10 Likes

Interesting how they’ve done some things. Some good and then some terrible.

Load of guys are going to break that front section of the fuselage.

I think they’ll also see the mast rip off the board at some stage with that single screw.

The way they’ve done the battery to ESC is clever though. Minimal fuss and no need for a complex hatch.

Which evidences of this alu frame do you have ?
Could you please post a pict of what’s inside the mast (ESC) cavity inside the board. Is this cavity linked to the supposed alu frame you mention to prevent ripping ?

You seem to have a first generation Waydoo one fuselage with a step that concentrates all the stress in case you run aground see post 62 :
200819 Gen 1 & 2
Waydoo said they corrected the issue. It will be interesting to see if they did it for their first 250 piece batch. or if it is only in their CAD file for batch #3.

@Maxlw thanks for posting pictures along with review! That’s the first time I’ve seen review from an owner.

When I started this thread my concern was whether the Kickstarter campaign was a scam. Besides other red flags I’ve mentioned, the company was registered in Fremont, CA (15mins from where I live even though I have not heard/seen them there) by people whose social profiles were pointing at East coast. I have not found any info about the founder, whose face is not even recognizable on the Kickstarter picture. They claim to have “support” from DJI even though there is no confirmation on the web. Kickstarter does not seem to bother with verifications. With such luck I can start Kickstarter campaign promising to ship Tesla Cybertrucks and nobody is gonna stop me :joy:

Looks like there are some real products out there. However, I’m part of the Kickstarter pledgers FB group and up until now I have not seen anybody confirming they have received any boards. Hence, I’m still not sure whether the campaign is a scam. Lol

If anybody cares at this point, I can share my review of a Lift board and compare it with what I see on the Waydoo pics.

Not having trust in people, I went ahead and purchased Lift 5’6" with less than a year use in excellent shape with two batteries. I had one single amazing session for about 1.5 hours till the battery got completely discharged. I plugged it in the charger, fan span for a few secs, purple lights came up and froze - no charge after several hours. Called customer support, tried everything possible to revive it with no luck. The board was still on warranty but it took me numerous followups over email and phone over the course of a month before they shipped a replacement. Still, huge thanks to Lift for honoring the warranty on $3.5K item.

Pros:

• Looks. It’s gorgeous. Each time I walk into my garage and see it hanging from the ceiling I get a smile :blush:
  • Quality. It’s a really awesome built product.
  • Amount of fun. I have my garage stocked with windsurf, kitesurf, and whole bunch of other ski/board stuff but this eFoil is on another level…

Cons:

• Price!!!
  • Number of connectors. Why do you need to expose so many cables (antenna, battery, ESC, water cooling tubes) to the end user??? Why do you need two separate data/power cables leading to the battery? Is it so hard to combine them into a single one thus reducing chances of leaks?

On the opposite side, I see brilliant job from Waydoo connecting mast with the board. It cannot get simpler than that.

Another note on the board material. Yes, EPP foam looks trashy. But:

• bumping your body parts against rigid fiberglass hurts (and it happens quite a bit during learning)
  • I guess EPP body has to be much lighter
  • I hope Waydoo is not gonna charge $3.5K for selling boards separately like Lift does
1 Like

Wow - Lift charged you $3,500 to replace a board that was under warranty?

No, they replaced battery under warranty for free. Battery price is $3.5K on their website

• I don’t really have evidence of the alu frame…This is just what the Dutch distributor told me.
    When the mast and battery are disconnected the board still has a certain weight so it seems plausible.

• I’m not at my lake house anymore so I can’t take a picture right now, but on the last two pictures you can see part of the frame. When the mast is out the part with the rivets is still visible.
    Also on the 5th picture you see that the mast is off. If you zoom in you see that the orange line is a little off the black metal underneath. So that part of the board definitely has some sort of frame…I’m just not sure how far the frame is integrated into the rest of the board.

• Not sure about the generation. All I know was that the board was brand new. Maybe that was the reason that the school was willing to sell it to me on the spot. Maybe they switched out the mast…Could be. Hopefully this won’t be an issue for me.

You’re welcome…I couldn’t find any too, so that’s why I left one myself.
The distributor did acknowledge the kickstarter campaign though.
So it is real and Dutch customers will actually receive their board through them.
If I would have seen reviews and pictures or had spoken to these guys earlier I probably would have taken the plunge and ordered via Kickstarter.
However, after all the shipping and import tax etc. the difference was only 700 EUR or so.
It looked a lot cheaper on the campaign, but after you added the shipping/tax fee it was 1200 bucks or so more. So that made be feel a little better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures !

Would you also measure the propeller diameter ? Curious to know which diameter they went for compared to other boards.

Love your pics Max. I purchased my Waydoo on Kickstarter (#367). So I’m waiting for my foil to be shipped. Interesting post on this thread. I’ve learned a lot.

1 Like