Where to start?

Hi to all members.
I’m totally new in efoiling and I want to make one for myself.
But it is hard to start if your dont know basics.

For the beginning what kind of deck do I need for efoiling? What size? I have 90kg. I would build deck by myself. I don’t want to just go and buy it…this is no fun :slight_smile:
I have knowledge about all electronics because I already make diy longboard with top speed of 70km/h…but this it totally different world.
And i have all tools needed to make it( 3d printer, cnc machine, laser cutter, lathe, big size saw…)
And that’s why I decided to make one.
So what kind of deck do I need for cruising and not so much top speed? I think top speed 40km/h is more than enough.

@Felixxx start here;

In post that you suggested he is making jet board…I’m looking for efoil board…he build 150l volume deck.
And here is the first problem form me. My board cant be longer then 130cm. Because I travel with campervan and it cant be longer. Is there any way I can make board from 2 parts so I can store it in my cargo place?
For example back pice in total length 110cm and front pice 50cm. Just to get enough volume so it won’t sink with me on board?
And this is the main problem I have to solve before I go on. If I can’t solve problem with length of my board I will not even start.

Start by reading most prominent builds in the Build section from forum.
Sort by most popular, discussed or similar and then you will get an idea what will work for you.

The obvious choice for you is an inflatable. The mala board is not totally unsexy, there’s also the whimsifoil

Would you prefer a hard board or an inflatable board? That’s really the main thing…
Also where are you located?

I have an inflatable board.
The thing is. I inflate it at the beginning of the season, and de-inflate it at the end of the season :slight_smile:

Also. In my case, the inflatable board itself is light, but the box holding all the needed stuff needs to be stiff as this is the only place to get the stiffness from. Stiffness = strong materials = heavy.
My inflatable when ready to go is just under 40KG (that is including the 14KG battery)

1 Like

If the board stiffness is so dependent on the box then board is not so high quality, it doesn’t have to be like that. My board is like a brick when pumped hard.

My board is also like a brick when pumped up!

Still the mast needs to be attached to the box, and it needs to carry everything.

Nice ! What brand is it ?

No brand… I bought it (only the board) some time ago from @svtlakovas

1 Like

yes my inflatable board is heavy too. make battery box is wery complex. I prefer composite board than inflatable. Only 2 adwantages: small size and the body is not afraid of blows. And much more disadvantages

2 Likes

I could not agree more.

The inflatable is very forgiving (when you hit something), and I think it’s also easier to learn on.
It’s also nice to be able to transport it a little bit easier, but that’s about it.

My dad and I just finished building a “fixed” composite board from carbon/kevlar (aramid).
The totally ready to go eFoiling weight is 32kg (again including the 14kg battery)

One more positive thing about the inflatable is the WOW factor. Every time I take it out it gets lots of looks from other efoilers .

Please do not get me wrong. I’m still very happy with the inflatable board, but I’m looking forward of using the composite board soon.