Working build with 65121 motor, 100A VESC, Gong X-over 1650cm2 wing

yannpom nice set up! I think I’m going to try and use the 65121 motor as well to save some weight. How much do you and your setup weigh? I’m trying to figure out if I should get the L or XL X-Over wing.

Here is my setup weight in details:

• Pelicase (battery + ESC + wire): 7.1kg
  • Mast (75cm mast + motor + prop + cables + ratchet strap): 5.3kg
  • Board (Lance FSP 105L): 7.5kg
  • Wing + stab + fuselage: 2.9kg

22.8kg in total
9.4kg for the “electric add-on” (removing the mast’s weight: 7.1+5.3-2.0)

My weight is 71kg but I’ve had friend taking off weighting up to ~90 kg.

XL is great for beginning, slow and stable, but I’ve never tried my setup with a smaller wing area. :person_shrugging:

Hi @yannpom ,
Nice build! :slight_smile: Can you share STL of 3D print plate for cable exit from the mast to the back of the board?

Here it is: eFoil top plate for Gong Alu mast V2 by yannpom - Thingiverse

I put the STL + Fusion 360 file in case you want to modify it.

2 Likes

Do you think you could finish this Gong V2 plate so it looks like the full model ?

Cross ref with @JvdZ prior work, Gong V2 plate only with holes (STEP format, Jul 2023) :

The model I uploaded on Thingiverse is top plate that goes above the aluminium top plate you are showing. It’s not a top plate to replace the aluminium one.

The goal is to pass the cables inside the mast. Then drill a hole in the original aluminium top plate. Then with the 3D printed plate I provided you can bend the cables backwards to make them exit at the rear.

So there is no point in “making it look the original aluminium” one because it was not my purpose :slight_smile:

Thanks Yann, I understood this and I will use your plate for this purpose. However, for a current project, I just needed a complete dummy one (PLA) and I don’t master Fusion 360 …

Curious on why didnt you run the motor cables into the box since they are pretty long? Do you also mind sharing the propeller you used? I have the same motor, still using stock propeller

The prop is listed in the components: it’s a 3 blade Mantafoils Volt Propeller 150mm.

The cables are actually not long enough to reach the box. But here are some pros of using 3 bullets connectors:

• easier transportation as I can separate the mast/motor from the box
  • only 1 cable going into the box => only 1 sealed nut
  • I could upgrade with a second mast with higher mounted motor and reuse the same box

I wanted to see what happens with those connectors exposed to salted water, and I’m surprised it does not do much. The gold is still shinny after 6 months of weekly use.

How secure is this type of binding? Have you fallen off the board? How hard did you fall? Did the board stick its nose into the water? Did the binding work well?

It came loose 3 times already. But everytime it was when I was letting a friend try the board. So I guess falls were harder. I think the worst is a nose dives on your all four: it’s your body that will violently kick the box.

The box is also attached with its handle to the board, so even if it falls I won’t loose it.

Also note that the belt is going through the top mast plate, so it cannot espace neither in the front nor in the back.

After a hard fall I always check the belt. And after 10 minutes in the water I add a safety click to retighten it.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer. I plan to attach my battery the same way.

1 Like