YAHEF Remote Control

Looks like e-ink to me. If so, been discussed before… too slow refresh rate.

Partial refresh will be the Winner :wink:

I would look into memory displays from sharp/flex lightning.
I think these displays have almost the same performance as e-ink (low power usage, visible in direct sunlight), but have the refresh rate of a tft display.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/display-modules-lcd-oled-graphic/107?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&v=2004&v=425&sf=0&FV=108|395565%2C108|415680%2C1989|0%2C-8|107&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25
Adafruit or sparkfun also has breakout for some of the displays.
Flex lightning delivers the ones with light (front lit, similar to old watches I think), so that one can se the display when it gets dark (at the expense of power to one LED ~20mA max).
I plan to use one of these displays for my next remote (currently using oled which is barely outside). I have a display laying around so I can try it in the sun one day to see if it holds up.

1 Like

I really dont know what the display problem here is. Im using a supercheap simple 1,8 Zoll SPI TFT Display ST7735 mit 128 x 160 Pixeln
spi display. its fast easy to work with and very bright. at 5v you can read it in midsun without a probelm. at 3,3v (using half the power) its also great and you can read it in the sun. its just then not very very bright.

Br
Felix

Problem is under direct sunlight the visibility is almost zero! The one you shared and almost all common displays used by diy community have 3.3v nominal voltage but they have a 3.3v ldo to make tuem compatible with 5v ardunio board so doesn’t matter you use 5v or 3.3v. Options are
e-ink their pros:
Extreme low power
Super visibility
Cons:
Painfully low refresh rate,
No full color options yet
Transreflective:
Which combined transmissive and e-ink pros like:
Fast refresh rate, full color and higher resolution and pixel density. Only problem whit these is under super bright light colors contrast is almost gone and it become grayscale display which It is ok if you ask me

I really don’t understand why anyone needs anything more than a black and white display. For safety reasons it makes sense to only display the basics that prevent a user focussing on the screen instead of watching where they ride. An e-ink display is good enough for that. Both lift and fliteboard have proved that with all their users.

2 Likes

While all these are valid points, I personally prefer faster refresh rate at least so you can see your throttle and current close to real time. it is all about progress rather than just copying an existing and proven solution. Otherwise bunch old school led’s could do the job too.

1 Like

I hate to break it to you. Adding those metrics doesn’t add any progress. The more you look at the remote, the less attention you pay to how you ride which actually hampers your natural foiling performance and progress. If you logging the whole ride, there’s no reason to show current at all. If you really want to see the metrics a much more logical approach would be to add a davega module to the front of the board as you’re much more likely to look at that than the remote.

1 Like

You always do don’t worry :wink: as I said I like that way and even a fast look at available metric will keep me happy. When it comes to performance, based on your logic fast cars or race motor cycles should not have any metrics. Yes practically of looking st the remote on a wild ride is not much but having it there to see whenever you want I love it

2 Likes

No, actually these examples fit my logic perfectly. Both those examples have the metrics in your direct line of sight. Which is why I suggested the davega module. The nose of the board is in your line of sight.

When you use a remote, you use your dominant hand to control it. When foiling, that hand is nowhere near your line of sight which means you have to adjust your arm and alter balance slightly. It also takes longer to look at it. Do a bunch of foiling and you’ll figure it out :wink:

It seems something going on with foiling and it contribute to people’s ego but guess what I am wrong because it changes person to person. a character like pacificmeister become a founder of this thing or Hiorth brothers which big players even inspired with their remote design but at the other end some people just choose to be religiously right always no matter what and criticize/undermine any attempts to try things differently because they just foiled m too much! Without any contribution! Good for you then wire a hand remote to your speed controller it is free world :earth_americas:

6 Likes

Fully agree with you Samisin

No Sami, it has nothing to do with ego or being right. But it instead it has everything to do with learning from experience. Whether you like it or not experience in watersport’s and foiling allows some to understand what will and wont work accordingly and what ideas have greater merit than others. Again this is a free world so you can do what you want and no one is stopping you. I just simply disagreed with some your concepts and it seems to have struck a nerve…
Trying to insinuate that I have not contributed, well… that’s just a ridiculous statement. Go across to Endless Sphere and see who started the first thread dedicated to efoils (before this forum ever existed). See who calculated all the power requirements and sourced the original components (this forum owes a specific builder across at Endless Sphere a MASSIVE thank you as his designs led to most similar designs for the initial efoil builds).
Just because I never made my designs public like PM or Hiorth doesn’t mean I haven’t contributed. But I suppose we live in an ignorant world that seems to measure things off social media and the like.

Do yourself a favour. Get you build finished and riding. Gain experience in the water and very quickly you will understand what works and doesn’t and where there needs to be innovation.

your words exactly validate my comments! the way you undermine and bully newcomers ideas and anyone that wants to try differently, makes it hard to be openly talking about or even explore the ideas! because some one with more experience going to joke about them rather than help! As you mentioned before seems you come from very classic teaching background but you should understand this is not your school and even if it was those times are gone long time ago! So for that same reason a young 17 years old maker that just joined the community had to publicly apologize just because he felt comfortable to express his ideas! Put your experience for. a good use here don’t kill people inspiration and try to be nice once in a while

5 Likes

Just because I don’t agree with your point of view on whats needed in efoiling (in this case on a remote screen) does not mean I am bullying you, it’s simply a different opinion to yours (of which free speech allows for). No one’s stopped you (or anyone else for that matter) implementing your ideas and proving me wrong. However it appears that most of the guys I have a different opinion to haven’t actually finished their builds or gained any practical experience. And as anyone knows action speaks louder than words.

I do put my experience to good use constantly, there’s a reason why companies and individual DIY users approach me through personal message for advice and configs. Why some of them are even prepared to courier me their builds to help them with configs for free when they aren’t running properly. But hey I forget, because you can’t see that you think it doesn’t exist.

I’m going to allow YAHEF’s remote thread to get back to a remote thread and not muddy it up by allowing other external interactions into it. If you want to discuss anything further, them you can drop me a message.

After several years of building and driving electric vehicles, I wonder if it wouldn’t be better to have a voice output for critical parameters like power, remaining capacity or temperature. Looking at a display is always distracting, be it on the wrist, on a mobile phone or on a remote control. Even with a head-up display in a car the focus of the eyes is distracted. Nevertheless, I would find a remote control that shows me these values comfortable, even if it might not be the most important feature. A generous display of these values in front of me on the board doesn’t seem to me to be worse.
Above all, you should be able to see them even while driving with saltwater splashed sunglasses.
I have built and flown model planes with Telario. There, every time the voltage decreases by 0.1V, a voltage announcement is made. I could imagine 10 or 20 announcements about the remaining capacity. An announcement of the power every 5 seconds, for example .
If the temperature rises, an announcement can be made every 5°C.

The display of what you put in, like the gas position, will then be secondary, but certainly interesting. Or also the dutycycle that is connected to the switches. And many other things in the course of time also, when it is important to discover errors or to debug the system or in the best case to tune it.

Of course it would be very nice if a Vesc would send an error message and then the remote control would vibrate and blink and show the number or a text, that would have been very helpful.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

2 Likes

Now this is a great idea. When I did a lot of RC I loved the voice based telemetry and the ability to set different thresholds. This would be fantastic and the least distracting!

Metr App > Announce
There you can specify unlimited announcements, their interval, voice speed, start and stop range of the metric and there are all metrics available the metr has.

Played around with it a bit on the Esk8, but deactivated them all after a while…99% are useless Infos and for the one critical a warning is enough, then just stop and check it with the phone…

3 Likes

Phone vibrating motor in the remote, as @Vincentbraillard did in his remote seems a good way to implement non visual battery level or water ingress warning. I also built a display with telemetry data in my remote but it’s hard to read in sunlight and (for me it is) not possible to read during cruise. Still good to have a Display to check when I fell down, but a voltage display in the board would be enough.

I think we can all agree that a fully waterproof remote is needed, with or without a display.
I’ve been using the Maytech remote all summer and have actually been able to keep it alive but once a week I’ve opened it up soaked it with corrosionX. But it’s just a question of time before it dies, I guess.

OK, let’s make it kind of official, no promises or anything but…… Besides e-foiling all summer, I’ve done some R&D. The main problem is not the electronics, it’s how to make the actual handle reproducible at a reasonable price and without too much post processing. I’ve visited a local company specialized in vacuum forming and injection moulding but the initial costs are too high for a low volume production.
Instead, I ordered some silicone rubber and made a mould of a small test piece, filled it with casting resin. Demoulded it 45 minutes later and voila, a perfect copy. Almost…. A few imperfections due to trapped air bubbles in both the mould and the resin.
A vacuum chamber and pump is on it’s way and in the next trial I will make a mould of the Maytech lid, degassing both the silicone rubber and the casting resin to remove the air bubbles. If this turns out well, an entire handle can be produced with only perhaps 10 minutes of manual work and 45 min to 1 hour curing time.

Electronics wise, everything is now on one single PCB, at least on the design. No PCB or components have been ordered yet, waiting with that until I get the result from the next casing.
The main components are ESP32, IMU, GPS, battery charger, vibration motor and hall sensor plus a number of passive components. All these components can be soldered to the PCB by the PCB manufacturer with reasonable cost overhead making it possible to produce them in numbers without any manual work.
As for the problems with the first version regarding wireless connectivity. The ESP32 has a range of transmitting power between -12 to 12 dBm, combined with an external antenna the tests I’ve done tell me that the problem is solved.
Then there is the display (yes @Jezza there will be a display :slight_smile: ). There are many opinions regarding this topic. Like it or not, there will be a 2.0 inch transflective display. You will get almost the same readability as an e-ink with all the benefits from a tft.

After gaining some riding experience this summer I can to some extent agree that there can’t be too much information on the display. The UI has to be really simple and very clear, I’ don’t you can read things like gauges with just a glimpse on the remote, just one or two things at a time. I like the idea of having specific vibration signatures of different features like voltage drops, increased temperature and so on.

My design inspiration, at least right now, comes from the Flite Remote.
Any comments? Any hardware components missing for making future features? Design ideas?

//Johan

PS. I will not have any more discussions regarding the display. Transflective it is! DS

4 Likes